Conroe can run without CPU Fan O_O

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
yep... i'm serious. here is a picture for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/johnli0615/DSC01868.jpg

what's on the picture: conroe was at 35% of load, if you are lucky enough to see that. as you probably see from the task manager, conroe was running two threads at the moment.

what's not on the picture: conroe was throttled @ 1.8Ghz. the fan had been turned off for approximately an hour before i took the shot. it was an E6600, throttled down.

ok.. i know i didn't have CPU-Z up. my picture is very blurry. i couldn't prove its a conroe underneath that heatsink.

however, computex taipei doesn't allow you to take any picture, unless you're with press / media. i beg the pretty lady who set up this machine to let me take a photo shot. she was really really really nice to let me record this unbelievable yet true image.

worried about your CPU fan going to fail? don't worry, get a Conroe :D .

P.S. if you guys have any doubt, please post a reply. i'll see if i can get you guys a clearer screenshot tomorrow @ taipei.

PP.S. please download the picture into your comp, then use zoom in. *i promise the picture doesn't have a virus on it*.

inplainview

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
It looks like some kind of whale. But thats about all I can make out of the picture. Even if he had CPU-Z up we wouldn't be able to read jack crap on it.

I believe I read somewhere that the TDP of a Conroe (I don't recall the model) is approximately 75w (not the Conroe EE version). If that is accruate then it is definitely possible to passively cool a Conroe.

The S939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ has a TDP of 89w and measure power consumption of 65w. In a case with decent airflow, it can passively cooled by the Scythe Ninja. I've read some posts at www.SilentPCReview.com where a few people were daring enough to cool the X2 4400+ passively. Of course that requires a case with good airflow.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I believe I read somewhere that the TDP of a Conroe (I don't recall the model) is approximately 75w (not the Conroe EE version). If that is accruate then it is definitely possible to passively cool a Conroe.

The S939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ has a TDP of 89w and measure power consumption of 65w. In a case with decent airflow, it can passively cooled by the Scythe Ninja. I've read some posts at www.SilentPCReview.com where a few people were daring enough to cool the X2 4400+ passively. Of course that requires a case with good airflow.

4meg conroe models should ship out @ 65w rated IIRC.

Crasher01

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006

what's on the picture: conroe was at 35% of load, if you are lucky enough to see that. as you probably see from the task manager, conroe was running two threads at the moment.

what's not on the picture: conroe was throttled @ 1.8Ghz. the fan had been turned off for approximately an hour before i took the shot. it was an E6600, throttled down.

ok.. i know i didn't have CPU-Z up. my picture is very blurry. i couldn't prove its a conroe underneath that heatsink.

however, computex taipei doesn't allow you to take any picture, unless you're with press / media. i beg the pretty lady who set up this machine to let me take a photo shot. she was really really really nice to let me record this unbelievable yet true image.

P.S. if you guys have any doubt, please post a reply. i'll see if i can get you guys a clearer screenshot tomorrow @ taipei.

PP.S. please download the picture into your comp, then use zoom in. *i promise the picture doesn't have a virus on it*.

Is that really a surprise?? :roll: I just can't believe people these days become so fuss for nothing unusual. I have run my 939 X2 4200+ PASSIVELY COOLED, NO FAN ON THE CPU, all what I have in the rig is 2 cooling fan in the case, 1 at front 1 at rear. The rig can run under heavy load like ripping dvd, play BF2 whole day without single problem, go figure.

Batspoon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Mmm... TR XP120 + Core 2 Duo or Scythe Ninja + Core 2 Duo both without a fan or with a very quiet one, like 500-800rpm... nice. Just wondering.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Kinda reminds me of the toms video a few years back (AMDs burn baby burn). Btw is the fan failing really going to cause the processor to burn (for those who don’t remember the HSF was removed in the AMD article) or do any other permanent damage?

I guess it’s just a marketing ploy………………

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

in all fairness, all modern processors from intel and AMD will shut themselves off anyways if they reach too high of a temperature.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Gah i thoguht this was without a heatsink...that would have been something!!!

I have the Scythe Ninja with no fan and i can do anything (dual prime) and my Opty 165 (2.8GHz) doesnt get above 55C.

Is the stock Conroe heatink no hetpipes? Then i guess that is somewhat better from current gen...

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

The guys over on XS forums told
about running Core passively about a month and a half ago.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I bet the one they claim will run on less than 1w doesn't need a heatsink.
It's such a shame that they are finally cutting
down the CPU's appetite for power, yet on the flipside of the coin, video cards
are taking their place, with future #'s like 300 watts staring us in the face. We
just can't win for losing. :cry:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
:? What are you talking about?! Clearly I could see there's a stock 775 HSF inside the opened case, although I can't really tell if it's running or not since it's a picture. Core could run cooler than it's predessesor but still would need a HSF at a low rpm. :D That's a very significant performance per watt we have ever seen, and possibly no doubt a highly overclockable cpu as well. :D

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh, would have been better to see the wires for the fan sticking out of the case, unless it was software controled to shut off, or run at a low RPM.

As the old saying goes... "Seeing is Believing."

Guess we all will have to wait when the chip is on the market for us to buy, see what other people get as far as any test results, and seeing those results before deciding to buy it.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
While I certainly don't doubt that it's possible, I can't take that photo alone as proof.

For example, one of the pics of my machine being built

im001729.jpg

If you look closely, it looks as if the fans aren't spinning over my processor however you can see my display running. I can assure you the fans were spinning.

I know that there will be passively-cooled systems, I've used the "silent" setting on my Zalmans for few hours before I relized that I had other sound issues to attend to. I guess I'm just trying to say that photo!=proof

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I realize, that wasn't the main focus of the pictures, I was just snapping them as I was going along, and later when I reviewed them I thought "Huh, isn't that funny, it looks like my fans aren't spinning in these photos..." and this topic just reminded me of them. Probably unecessary, didn't add a lot to the topic I know, but it is just providing "proof" that a photo of a system where it looks as if the fans aren't spinning, that alone doesn't mean they are in fact not spinning.