Recommend Socket 478 mobo/chipset

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I've got an Intel 865 chipset on a Soyo Dragon2 with a 2.4 Socket 478. I want to setup a RAID mirror set with 2 SATA 250G drives. My board does not have a RAID controller on it.

I'm looking into either getting a new mobo that supports all my existing hardware but has a SATA RAID controller, or maybe an expansion SATA RAID controller (does such an animal exist?)

What is the best Socket 478 chipset out there right now? I know it's older vintage but I don't want to spend the big bux right now and upgrade the whole system. It's working fine save for the lack of RAID controller.

Thanks in advance

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I did a search on SATA RAID expansion controllers, they seem to be more expensive than a new mobo would be, unless I'm just not finding the right ones.

I'm still interested in the answers to the 478 chipset anyway, regardless of which way I go for the solution

Edit:

I found cheap SATA RAID expansion cards at newegg. $30 and under.

I guess thats the direction I'll go.

But I'm still interested in the 478 "best chipset" question just for grins...

I've got an Intel 865 chipset on a Soyo Dragon2 with a 2.4 Socket 478. I want to setup a RAID mirror set with 2 SATA 250G drives. My board does not have a RAID controller on it.

I'm looking into either getting a new mobo that supports all my existing hardware but has a SATA RAID controller, or maybe an expansion SATA RAID controller (does such an animal exist?)

What is the best Socket 478 chipset out there right now? I know it's older vintage but I don't want to spend the big bux right now and upgrade the whole system. It's working fine save for the lack of RAID controller.

Thanks in advance

IMO, the best chipset for the P4 Skt 478 is the 875P...it's a step up from the 865...I've got an aBit IC7 with the 875 chipset, it's stable and fast...there is also the aBit IC7-G...or even better is the aBit IC7-MAX3, both of which have an onboard Silicon Image RAID...unfortunately, these are "discontinued" products, but I've seen them floating around the used market...If you can't find either of those, then the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe is a good choice for a good price, but you're back to the 865 chipset rather than the 875P...

Good luck!