Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Orleans is becoming Atlantis

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 30, 2005 11:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

New Orleans is becoming Atlantis

02:35 PM So much for dodging a bullet - If you are not watching the news
right now, New Orleans is leaking. What was dry after the Hurricane is
slowly going underwater. The video coming out is showing mind boggling
destruction and it's getting worse not better. It's beginning to look like
this was "the big one" for New Orleans.

This is rapidly becoming an Indonesian Tsunami class disaster and easily the
worst N. American disaster in my lifetime.

If I had a flat bottom boat I'd drive down there to help the rescue efforts.

Dallas

More about : orleans atlantis

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:52:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Unfortunately, the magnitude of the developing disaster is so large in
New Orleans that the infrastructure has broken down. Looters are
running amuck, starting with drug and liquor stores and now moving to
jewelry stores. I read that 1000 prisoners are on the loose and they
are taking hostages. A crisis like this always brings out the extremes
in people-good and bad.
-Greg
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:54:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I always thought New Orleans was a great city to visit, with
incomparable food and music but I never had the slightest desire to
live there. Now it's a true "hell hole". It is such a vital economic
zone with huge shipping and oil resources, that I can only think that
they will rebuild and go on.
-Greg
Related resources
August 31, 2005 12:55:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Beech45Whiskey"
> but there is no way that the death tolls from the
> hurricane will come close to the lives lost from the Tsunami.

True, I should have specified "not the death toll, but the destruction of
property". This one will be over $50 billion dollars, maybe way over.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:08:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I love New Orleans... Some of the best years of my life were spent there
and I've got the bullet scars to prove it, but it isn't called the murder
capitol of America for nothing...

"The City that Care Forgot" is no more...


"aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1125450163.449900.130210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Unfortunately, the magnitude of the developing disaster is so large in
> New Orleans that the infrastructure has broken down. Looters are
> running amuck, starting with drug and liquor stores and now moving to
> jewelry stores. I read that 1000 prisoners are on the loose and they
> are taking hostages. A crisis like this always brings out the extremes
> in people-good and bad.
> -Greg
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:30:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas, it was the lead item and by far the longest on our BBC news programs
this evening. Horrendous scenes and our hearts go out to anyone who has been
affected. I know that the US is better equipped than any country to deal
with such a situation so we know that assistance will be given as quickly as
possible but it is a huge task.

The Fox news crews were talking to some people who are probably not very
wealthy and who said they had lost everything. I guess that they possibly
could not afford insurance. Does the state or federal government help out in
such cases? I assume that some financial assistance will be given. I hope so
anyway.

Iain


"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:IN2Re.3606$Wd7.1244@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> New Orleans is becoming Atlantis
>
> 02:35 PM So much for dodging a bullet - If you are not watching the news
> right now, New Orleans is leaking. What was dry after the Hurricane is
> slowly going underwater. The video coming out is showing mind boggling
> destruction and it's getting worse not better. It's beginning to look
> like
> this was "the big one" for New Orleans.
>
> This is rapidly becoming an Indonesian Tsunami class disaster and easily
> the
> worst N. American disaster in my lifetime.
>
> If I had a flat bottom boat I'd drive down there to help the rescue
> efforts.
>
> Dallas
>
>
August 31, 2005 8:30:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

FEMA will provide free money, housing assistance etc for those that cannot
afford to repay anything ..they did that when we got hit by Andrew in
1992...and last year when we got hit by 4? hurricanes that criss crossed
Florida.

The problem with FEMA as we have discovered here in Miami is that too many
scams and false claims were paid out. There is an investigation currently
underway in Fl about this. And you know the good will suffer for the bad
when this is over.

I am truly sorry for the folks in the gulf states. Katrina hit me as a CAT1
and that was enough.
Bill


"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D f2j4s$hp3$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Dallas, it was the lead item and by far the longest on our BBC news
> programs this evening. Horrendous scenes and our hearts go out to anyone
> who has been affected. I know that the US is better equipped than any
> country to deal with such a situation so we know that assistance will be
> given as quickly as possible but it is a huge task.
>
> The Fox news crews were talking to some people who are probably not very
> wealthy and who said they had lost everything. I guess that they possibly
> could not afford insurance. Does the state or federal government help out
> in such cases? I assume that some financial assistance will be given. I
> hope so anyway.
>
> Iain
>
>
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
> news:IN2Re.3606$Wd7.1244@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> New Orleans is becoming Atlantis
>>
>> 02:35 PM So much for dodging a bullet - If you are not watching the news
>> right now, New Orleans is leaking. What was dry after the Hurricane is
>> slowly going underwater. The video coming out is showing mind boggling
>> destruction and it's getting worse not better. It's beginning to look
>> like
>> this was "the big one" for New Orleans.
>>
>> This is rapidly becoming an Indonesian Tsunami class disaster and easily
>> the
>> worst N. American disaster in my lifetime.
>>
>> If I had a flat bottom boat I'd drive down there to help the rescue
>> efforts.
>>
>> Dallas
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 12:28:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Here in LA we don't worry about hurricanes. Our problem is
earthquakes. After the Northridge quake in 1994, thousands of people
used FEMA money to remodel homes which had absolutely no earthquake
damage. The damage in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast is
staggering. I hope the money goes to those who truly need it.
-Greg
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:53:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Ditto the Salvation Army. They do it right.
Greg
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 3:42:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote:

>I love New Orleans... Some of the best years of my life were spent there
>and I've got the bullet scars to prove it, but it isn't called the murder
>capitol of America for nothing...
>
>"The City that Care Forgot" is no more...

Just an observation:
When the tsunami hit last year, the US was right there with financial
and humanitarian help. In fact it was the biggest financial
contributor.

But, has anyone heard of any country offer any help now??
Where are the French, the Germans, the... (pick your own) ???

Curious ...

BTW - what's an 'industrial strength helicopter' ;-)
I just heard that on CNN today ;-))

I've heard of 'heavy lift helicopters' - but industrial strength ...
sound like some cleaning agent ;-)
Reporters can be redicuously amusing at times even when they don't
want to be!

-=tom=-
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 3:57:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

What is overlooked when international aid is discussed is that
Americans tend to support disaster relief through private donations
rather than through the government. The statistics quoted often
overlook private donations. In this area Americans are very generous.
There is a great deal of resentment against America because of our
wealth. We can probably deal with this disaster without foreign help,
although I'm sure it is being offered.
-Greg
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 5:27:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

and i BET you there wont be any massive relief funds/collections for the
USA....

....Such a shame.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb


"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:HI3Re.5221$z2.1470@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "Beech45Whiskey"
>> but there is no way that the death tolls from the
>> hurricane will come close to the lives lost from the Tsunami.
>
> True, I should have specified "not the death toll, but the destruction of
> property". This one will be over $50 billion dollars, maybe way over.
>
> Dallas
>
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:05:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

just a question to nuance your statement a bit: if you divide the donated
amount by the number of inhabitants, were the US still the biggest financial
contributor??

"Tom Orle" <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:jcjbh193aulkp6f572jplkil0ado0h5skl@4ax.com...
> "Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote:

snip

> Just an observation:
> When the tsunami hit last year, the US was right there with financial
> and humanitarian help. In fact it was the biggest financial
> contributor.
>
> But, has anyone heard of any country offer any help now??
> Where are the French, the Germans, the... (pick your own) ???

snip

> -=tom=-
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:05:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

> just a question to nuance your statement a bit: if you divide the donated
> amount by the number of inhabitants, were the US still the biggest
> financial
> contributor??
>

nope. far off it id say.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:05:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Bill Phoelich" <bill.phoelich@norubrubishcegetel.net> wrote:

>just a question to nuance your statement a bit: if you divide the donated
>amount by the number of inhabitants, were the US still the biggest financial
>contributor??

Why would this be an issue? It's the bottom line final amount that
counts!

But before we continue this line of thought - let's just agree to
disagree.

-=tom=-
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:05:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Tom Orle <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Bill Phoelich" <bill.phoelich@norubrubishcegetel.net> wrote:
>
>>just a question to nuance your statement a bit: if you divide the donated
>>amount by the number of inhabitants, were the US still the biggest financial
>>contributor??
>
>Why would this be an issue? It's the bottom line final amount that
>counts!
>
>But before we continue this line of thought - let's just agree to
>disagree.
>
>-=tom=-

Bill,

My original post is now moot anyway.
According to the news, the UK and Germany have both offered
assistance.

If a neighbous house gets damaged, most of us will at least offer to
help no matter how wealthy the owner is.
The lack of such compassion from other countries is what I tried to
address in my original post - not the amounts.
(Yes, I know, I brought up the amount issue myself - I guess I
shoudn't have)

-=tom=-
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 11:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Tom Orle" <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:jcjbh193aulkp6f572jplkil0ado0h5skl@4ax.com...
> When the tsunami hit last year, the US was right there with financial
> and humanitarian help. In fact it was the biggest financial
> contributor.

I think you overestimate the generosity of the USA. In total funds it was
second behind Japan by a billion dollars, and per capita, it was ranked
20th. (What would be interesting though is to find out how much was
actually delievered, rather than just pledged and forgotten.)

But the fact is that the tsunami hit considerably poorer countries without
the wealth and infrastructure to deal with it themselves, and international
aid agencies were quick off the mark to plead for assistance, and the
affected governments equally quick to show gratitude. As yet I've not seen
any representative of an aid organisation or US govenrment agency request
aid or assistance. Don't write of the generosity of the world's people
before it's even been asked for. Plenty of money was raised for the victims
of 9/11 after all.

Si
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:59:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:42:26 -0400, Tom Orle wrote:

> Just an observation:
> When the tsunami hit last year, the US was right there with financial
> and humanitarian help. In fact it was the biggest financial
> contributor.
>
> But, has anyone heard of any country offer any help now??
> Where are the French, the Germans, the... (pick your own) ???

Please, let's not start a war here, shall we? Just today the State
Department & White House have announced that no fewer than FOURTEEN
countries - including Russia - have offered assistance in the form of SAR
teams, food, clothing, oil, etc.

Don't forget it took the US over a full week to get it's "tsunami aid" for
Indonesia rolling...

Bill
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:21:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1emwps5xlrfep$.dlg@ID-259643.user.individual.net...
> Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:
>
>> "Beech45Whiskey"
>>> but there is no way that the death tolls from the
>>> hurricane will come close to the lives lost from the Tsunami.
>>
>> True, I should have specified "not the death toll, but the destruction of
>> property". <snip>
>
That's rather pathetic.. Do you even realise that? I doubt that you do.
September 1, 2005 6:21:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Jod"
> That's rather pathetic.. Do you even realise that? I doubt that you do.

Not worthy of a response.



Dallas
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:45:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

sorry
and sorry for top posting
"Jod" <Jod@Starwars.com> wrote in message
news:4315d880$1@news.alphalink.com.au...
>
> "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1emwps5xlrfep$.dlg@ID-259643.user.individual.net...
>> Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Beech45Whiskey"
>>>> but there is no way that the death tolls from the
>>>> hurricane will come close to the lives lost from the Tsunami.
>>>
>>> True, I should have specified "not the death toll, but the destruction
>>> of
>>> property". <snip>
>>
> That's rather pathetic.. Do you even realise that? I doubt that you do.
>
>
September 1, 2005 9:45:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Jod wrote:
> sorry
> and sorry for top posting
> "Jod" <Jod@Starwars.com> wrote in message
> news:4315d880$1@news.alphalink.com.au...
>>


still haven't figured it out, huh?
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:16:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:htoRe.2935$4P5.2227@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Jod"
>> That's rather pathetic.. Do you even realise that? I doubt that you do.
>
> Not worthy of a response.
>
>
>
> Dallas
>
>
Was that not a response?
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 5:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Errr, mate - yes it certainly was a worthy response, by Dallas.

I'm surprised you weren't sure, and had to ask.

I'm guessing it takes all types, right?

JW
"Jod" <Jod@Starwars.com> wrote in message
news:431663f3$1@news.alphalink.com.au...
>
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
> news:htoRe.2935$4P5.2227@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "Jod"
>>> That's rather pathetic.. Do you even realise that? I doubt that you do.
>>
>> Not worthy of a response.
>>
>>
>>
>> Dallas
>>
>>
> Was that not a response?
>
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

The use of language which you critically examined is often referred to as a
rhetorical question.

Jod

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:431672e4$0$21677$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Errr, mate - yes it certainly was a worthy response, by Dallas.
>
> I'm surprised you weren't sure, and had to ask.
>
> I'm guessing it takes all types, right?
>
> JW
> "Jod" <Jod@Starwars.com> wrote in message
> news:431663f3$1@news.alphalink.com.au...
>>
>> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> news:htoRe.2935$4P5.2227@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>
>>> "Jod"
>>>> That's rather pathetic.. Do you even realise that? I doubt that you
>>>> do.
>>>
>>> Not worthy of a response.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Dallas
>>>
>>>
>> Was that not a response?
>>
>
>
September 2, 2005 8:11:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Jay Beckman"
> (though God only knows why anyone would have an issue with the Red
> Cross.)

Maybe it's because they ran an extensive advertising campaign after 9-11 for
relief funds. Later came the big scandal that they weren't releasing those
funds for 9-11 victims, they were building up their local office's bank
accounts. Essentially, they used the sympathy generated from 9-11 to raise
incredible sums of money which never made it to the victims. (source: 60
minutes)

We found a church in South Dallas (primarily a Black congregation) that is
actively finding places for Katrina victims to live here in town and made
our donation there. It feels much better to put your money closer to the
problem. Our town is beginning to fill up with Katrina refugees.



Dallas
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:43:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I understand concerns about the Red Cross, but...

Two years ago my very large house burned to the ground around 2 AM. I lost
everything except the underwear I was wearing (not looking for sympathy).
By 8 am a Red Cross representative had provided housing, food vouchers and
hundreds of dollars for my wife and I to get some clothing. For the next
few weeks there were regular contacts from them asking how we were and if we
needed anything. Never was there a request from them for money, payback
etc. Guess it's all about what you experience.

Bob
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:17:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I didn't know that?

JW
"Jod" <Jod@Starwars.com> wrote in message
news:4316cf51$1@news.alphalink.com.au...
> The use of language which you critically examined is often referred to as
> a rhetorical question.
>
> Jod
>
> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:431672e4$0$21677$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
>> Errr, mate - yes it certainly was a worthy response, by Dallas.
>>
>> I'm surprised you weren't sure, and had to ask.
>>
>> I'm guessing it takes all types, right?
>>
>> JW
>> "Jod" <Jod@Starwars.com> wrote in message
>> news:431663f3$1@news.alphalink.com.au...
>>>
>>> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>> news:htoRe.2935$4P5.2227@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>>
>>>> "Jod"
>>>>> That's rather pathetic.. Do you even realise that? I doubt that you
>>>>> do.
>>>>
>>>> Not worthy of a response.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Dallas
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Was that not a response?
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
September 2, 2005 7:17:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

John Ward wrote:
> I didn't know that?
>


Shame on you JayDub!!!!!

Having a battle of the wits with an unarmed opponent...

<G>
September 2, 2005 11:01:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Bob D."
> I understand concerns about the Red Cross, but...

The Red Cross is still on the top of the Charity Navigator's list. They had
already learned their lesson by the time the scandal was public.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.v...

Dallas
September 3, 2005 4:12:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Jose"
> Saw this in a german ng
> http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orl...

Interesting stuff.

But, having been a personal visitor to a couple of massive disasters, words,
photos and videos just can't convey what it's really like when you're on the
ground in-person.

I did want to say for our International friends that the USA is a very
solemn place this week. Everyone is profoundly quiet and mildly depressed
as we go about our business.

Meanwhile, all our gas stations waste no time profiteering from this
tragedy. They've dramatically raised prices on the fuel they've had in
their underground tanks for two weeks.

Dallas
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:11:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi CRaSH,

Just like Judge Roy Bean, in his shootout with Stacey Keach, you've
gotta take advantage of every little "edge" that comes your way, mate! :-))

Regards,
John Ward
"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
news:y6%Re.157718$E95.116223@fed1read01...
> John Ward wrote:
>> I didn't know that?
>>
>
>
> Shame on you JayDub!!!!!
>
> Having a battle of the wits with an unarmed opponent...
>
> <G>
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:10:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Why don't you take your political rants to a blog? You are a bitter
person.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:29:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

1. America is a generous country, but it took us awhile to get ramped
up on tsunami aid. Remember last year when the UN called us "cheap"?
After which we came up with more public relief money? I'm not saying we
are cheap, and I'm not taking into account all of the relief money that
was offered by private citizens. Just reminding us of the timetable...

2. Last week, if you were to ask me what I associate with Texas, I
would have said "George W. Bush, Don't mess with Texas, super-size
everything, and Rice University." This week, I would add "Generous to
their neighbors." Good on you, Texas, for leading the way.

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
September 3, 2005 5:03:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> 2. Last week, if you were to ask me what I associate with Texas, I
> would have said "George W. Bush, Don't mess with Texas, super-size
> everything, and Rice University." This week, I would add "Generous to
> their neighbors." Good on you, Texas, for leading the way.
>


You're right David, they're taking on a disproportionate amount of the
recovery - unfortunately, a village in Texas is also missing its
idiot............
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:38:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

That is an ominous before and after view.

We have a brother in law who lives in New Orleans and were able to talk to
them on their cell phone while evacuating to Nachez, MS. We then lost touch
but found out that they are now in Houston and OK.

What a heartbreaking situation down there The losses to life and property
are just hard to imagine.

Here is an ominous tidbit of info by the CNN weatherman: When Katrina
crossed the Florida tip, it was the 13th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew.

Now, Andrew begins with an "A" (Duh!) so Andrew was the FIRST storm in late
August of that year.

Katrina begins with a "K" (Duh,Duh,Duh!!!) That means it was the 11TH
STORM by late August. The frequency is way up!

It takes about 80 degree water to create a hurricane. The Gulf water is
currently 87 degrees and we have not hit the peak of hurricane season yet.




Mike
"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:RT5Se.6918$z2.1490@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Jose"
>> Saw this in a german ng
>> http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orl...
>
> Interesting stuff.
>
> But, having been a personal visitor to a couple of massive disasters,
> words,
> photos and videos just can't convey what it's really like when you're on
> the
> ground in-person.
>
> I did want to say for our International friends that the USA is a very
> solemn place this week. Everyone is profoundly quiet and mildly depressed
> as we go about our business.
>
> Meanwhile, all our gas stations waste no time profiteering from this
> tragedy. They've dramatically raised prices on the fuel they've had in
> their underground tanks for two weeks.
>
> Dallas
>
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 7:53:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Many people have been predicting this really bad storm season due to
the weather patterns and sea current shifts caused by global warning.
Unfortunately, the nitwit we have in the White House, doesn't believe
in global warming or much else that requires an IQ higher than his
resting pulse rate.

Bob




On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:38:37 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>That is an ominous before and after view.
>
>We have a brother in law who lives in New Orleans and were able to talk to
>them on their cell phone while evacuating to Nachez, MS. We then lost touch
>but found out that they are now in Houston and OK.
>
>What a heartbreaking situation down there The losses to life and property
>are just hard to imagine.
>
>Here is an ominous tidbit of info by the CNN weatherman: When Katrina
>crossed the Florida tip, it was the 13th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew.
>
>Now, Andrew begins with an "A" (Duh!) so Andrew was the FIRST storm in late
>August of that year.
>
>Katrina begins with a "K" (Duh,Duh,Duh!!!) That means it was the 11TH
>STORM by late August. The frequency is way up!
>
>It takes about 80 degree water to create a hurricane. The Gulf water is
>currently 87 degrees and we have not hit the peak of hurricane season yet.
>
>
>
>
>Mike
>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>news:RT5Se.6918$z2.1490@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "Jose"
>>> Saw this in a german ng
>>> http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orl...
>>
>> Interesting stuff.
>>
>> But, having been a personal visitor to a couple of massive disasters,
>> words,
>> photos and videos just can't convey what it's really like when you're on
>> the
>> ground in-person.
>>
>> I did want to say for our International friends that the USA is a very
>> solemn place this week. Everyone is profoundly quiet and mildly depressed
>> as we go about our business.
>>
>> Meanwhile, all our gas stations waste no time profiteering from this
>> tragedy. They've dramatically raised prices on the fuel they've had in
>> their underground tanks for two weeks.
>>
>> Dallas
>>
>>
>
September 3, 2005 10:10:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"David Wilson-Okamura"
> This week, I would add "Generous to
> their neighbors." Good on you, Texas, for leading the way.

Yeah, I'm pretty proud of these Texans this week. Dallas has filled up
Reunion Arena with refugees and plans to use the Convention Center next.
Apartment complexes have donated empty apartments. Tens of thousands of
them are streaming in.

My wife is going to bankrupt us giving stuff to the relief effort.
Yesterday, she came home with her car packed with stuff she bought at Target
to take to the Arena. Now she's talking about taking on some of these
displaced pets... The lady's got a big heart.

Dalli
September 3, 2005 10:15:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"mikepic"
we have not hit the peak of hurricane season yet.

And look at this... a "super Typhoon" is taking aim at S. Korea. Is God
mad at us or something?

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/gpac/

Dallas
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:12:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I was origianlly skeptical of global warming but the data suggest it is
definite a reality. Can't dismiss it as hogwash today.
Mike
"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:bkhjh1tv0vi5agem89sc68t1c72md3ck9u@4ax.com...
>
> Many people have been predicting this really bad storm season due to
> the weather patterns and sea current shifts caused by global warning.
> Unfortunately, the nitwit we have in the White House, doesn't believe
> in global warming or much else that requires an IQ higher than his
> resting pulse rate.
>
> Bob
>
>
>
>
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:38:37 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>That is an ominous before and after view.
>>
>>We have a brother in law who lives in New Orleans and were able to talk
>>to
>>them on their cell phone while evacuating to Nachez, MS. We then lost
>>touch
>>but found out that they are now in Houston and OK.
>>
>>What a heartbreaking situation down there The losses to life and property
>>are just hard to imagine.
>>
>>Here is an ominous tidbit of info by the CNN weatherman: When Katrina
>>crossed the Florida tip, it was the 13th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew.
>>
>>Now, Andrew begins with an "A" (Duh!) so Andrew was the FIRST storm in
>>late
>>August of that year.
>>
>>Katrina begins with a "K" (Duh,Duh,Duh!!!) That means it was the 11TH
>>STORM by late August. The frequency is way up!
>>
>>It takes about 80 degree water to create a hurricane. The Gulf water is
>>currently 87 degrees and we have not hit the peak of hurricane season
>>yet.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Mike
>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>news:RT5Se.6918$z2.1490@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>
>>> "Jose"
>>>> Saw this in a german ng
>>>> http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orl...
>>>
>>> Interesting stuff.
>>>
>>> But, having been a personal visitor to a couple of massive disasters,
>>> words,
>>> photos and videos just can't convey what it's really like when you're on
>>> the
>>> ground in-person.
>>>
>>> I did want to say for our International friends that the USA is a very
>>> solemn place this week. Everyone is profoundly quiet and mildly
>>> depressed
>>> as we go about our business.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, all our gas stations waste no time profiteering from this
>>> tragedy. They've dramatically raised prices on the fuel they've had in
>>> their underground tanks for two weeks.
>>>
>>> Dallas
>>>
>>>
>>
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:14:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Could be, buddy!

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:NKlSe.4686$4P5.2258@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "mikepic"
> we have not hit the peak of hurricane season yet.
>
> And look at this... a "super Typhoon" is taking aim at S. Korea. Is God
> mad at us or something?
>
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/gpac/
>
> Dallas
>
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:06:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Anyone skeptical of Global warming should take a trip to Alaska and
you will find that the Glaciers are receding ( melting) at about 28
feet per year on average. Also the Permafrost is melting causing
buildings and roads to sink, and the water level in the sea is slowly
rising.

Bob





On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 03:12:45 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>I was origianlly skeptical of global warming but the data suggest it is
>definite a reality. Can't dismiss it as hogwash today.
>Mike
>"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:bkhjh1tv0vi5agem89sc68t1c72md3ck9u@4ax.com...
>>
>> Many people have been predicting this really bad storm season due to
>> the weather patterns and sea current shifts caused by global warning.
>> Unfortunately, the nitwit we have in the White House, doesn't believe
>> in global warming or much else that requires an IQ higher than his
>> resting pulse rate.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:38:37 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>That is an ominous before and after view.
>>>
>>>We have a brother in law who lives in New Orleans and were able to talk
>>>to
>>>them on their cell phone while evacuating to Nachez, MS. We then lost
>>>touch
>>>but found out that they are now in Houston and OK.
>>>
>>>What a heartbreaking situation down there The losses to life and property
>>>are just hard to imagine.
>>>
>>>Here is an ominous tidbit of info by the CNN weatherman: When Katrina
>>>crossed the Florida tip, it was the 13th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew.
>>>
>>>Now, Andrew begins with an "A" (Duh!) so Andrew was the FIRST storm in
>>>late
>>>August of that year.
>>>
>>>Katrina begins with a "K" (Duh,Duh,Duh!!!) That means it was the 11TH
>>>STORM by late August. The frequency is way up!
>>>
>>>It takes about 80 degree water to create a hurricane. The Gulf water is
>>>currently 87 degrees and we have not hit the peak of hurricane season
>>>yet.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>>news:RT5Se.6918$z2.1490@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>>
>>>> "Jose"
>>>>> Saw this in a german ng
>>>>> http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orl...
>>>>
>>>> Interesting stuff.
>>>>
>>>> But, having been a personal visitor to a couple of massive disasters,
>>>> words,
>>>> photos and videos just can't convey what it's really like when you're on
>>>> the
>>>> ground in-person.
>>>>
>>>> I did want to say for our International friends that the USA is a very
>>>> solemn place this week. Everyone is profoundly quiet and mildly
>>>> depressed
>>>> as we go about our business.
>>>>
>>>> Meanwhile, all our gas stations waste no time profiteering from this
>>>> tragedy. They've dramatically raised prices on the fuel they've had in
>>>> their underground tanks for two weeks.
>>>>
>>>> Dallas
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:06:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Capt Bob <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Anyone skeptical of Global warming should take a trip to Alaska and
>you will find that the Glaciers are receding ( melting) at about 28
>feet per year on average. Also the Permafrost is melting causing
>buildings and roads to sink, and the water level in the sea is slowly
>rising.
>
>Bob
No dispute about global warming!
The issue is - is it totally man made??

Ice ages have come and gone in cycles (around 40k years as I recall)
for millions of years. But man wasn't around when the last ice age
came to an end due to global warming! Who are you going to blame for
that?

Aside from farting cows there are many other reasons climates change -
volcano activity for one...

-=t=-
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 5:29:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Oh, I believe it. Those places are the first feel it since they are so
sensitive to even small temp changes. A program discussing this also
featured an island population in the Pacific who knows first hand that sea
levels are rising because they are watching their island shrink.
"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 3doh1lgtk392uej7pcgeesckpq0s9uckb@4ax.com...
> Anyone skeptical of Global warming should take a trip to Alaska and
> you will find that the Glaciers are receding ( melting) at about 28
> feet per year on average. Also the Permafrost is melting causing
> buildings and roads to sink, and the water level in the sea is slowly
> rising.
>
> Bob
>
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 03:12:45 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I was origianlly skeptical of global warming but the data suggest it is
>>definite a reality. Can't dismiss it as hogwash today.
>>Mike
>>"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>news:bkhjh1tv0vi5agem89sc68t1c72md3ck9u@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> Many people have been predicting this really bad storm season due to
>>> the weather patterns and sea current shifts caused by global warning.
>>> Unfortunately, the nitwit we have in the White House, doesn't believe
>>> in global warming or much else that requires an IQ higher than his
>>> resting pulse rate.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:38:37 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>That is an ominous before and after view.
>>>>
>>>>We have a brother in law who lives in New Orleans and were able to talk
>>>>to
>>>>them on their cell phone while evacuating to Nachez, MS. We then lost
>>>>touch
>>>>but found out that they are now in Houston and OK.
>>>>
>>>>What a heartbreaking situation down there The losses to life and
>>>>property
>>>>are just hard to imagine.
>>>>
>>>>Here is an ominous tidbit of info by the CNN weatherman: When Katrina
>>>>crossed the Florida tip, it was the 13th anniversary of Hurricane
>>>>Andrew.
>>>>
>>>>Now, Andrew begins with an "A" (Duh!) so Andrew was the FIRST storm in
>>>>late
>>>>August of that year.
>>>>
>>>>Katrina begins with a "K" (Duh,Duh,Duh!!!) That means it was the 11TH
>>>>STORM by late August. The frequency is way up!
>>>>
>>>>It takes about 80 degree water to create a hurricane. The Gulf water is
>>>>currently 87 degrees and we have not hit the peak of hurricane season
>>>>yet.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Mike
>>>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>>>news:RT5Se.6918$z2.1490@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>>>
>>>>> "Jose"
>>>>>> Saw this in a german ng
>>>>>> http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orl...
>>>>>
>>>>> Interesting stuff.
>>>>>
>>>>> But, having been a personal visitor to a couple of massive disasters,
>>>>> words,
>>>>> photos and videos just can't convey what it's really like when you're
>>>>> on
>>>>> the
>>>>> ground in-person.
>>>>>
>>>>> I did want to say for our International friends that the USA is a very
>>>>> solemn place this week. Everyone is profoundly quiet and mildly
>>>>> depressed
>>>>> as we go about our business.
>>>>>
>>>>> Meanwhile, all our gas stations waste no time profiteering from this
>>>>> tragedy. They've dramatically raised prices on the fuel they've had
>>>>> in
>>>>> their underground tanks for two weeks.
>>>>>
>>>>> Dallas
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:29:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:11:36 +1000, John Ward wrote:

> Just like Judge Roy Bean, in his shootout with Stacey Keach, you've
> gotta take advantage of every little "edge" that comes your way, mate! :-))

Hey!! No spoilers, man!
I taped that movie last night and I'll be watching it tonight.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(It's good to be the king! - Mel Brooks)
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:33:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:10:56 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> displaced pets... The lady's got a big heart.

Well she took you in, didn't she?

<ducks and runs for cover>

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(This is such a drag! - C3PO)
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:05:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:29:10 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura wrote:

> 1. America is a generous country, but it took us awhile to get ramped
> up on tsunami aid. Remember last year when the UN called us "cheap"?
> After which we came up with more public relief money? I'm not saying we
> are cheap, and I'm not taking into account all of the relief money that
> was offered by private citizens. Just reminding us of the timetable...
>
> 2. Last week, if you were to ask me what I associate with Texas, I
> would have said "George W. Bush, Don't mess with Texas, super-size
> everything, and Rice University." This week, I would add "Generous to
> their neighbors." Good on you, Texas, for leading the way.

I have not been following this thread at all, but I have to get this off my
chest, so can someone confirm something for me?

I was watching a newsshow Saturday and our foreign correspondent reported
how he and a security guy drove an SUV into the disaster area, talked to
survivors, who showed them where some dead bodies were and then drove back
out with a woman and her newborn baby.

According to our reporter the road was very easy to drive over, even
without an SUV, yet no other vehicles used it. Locals trying to leave the
area were stopped by uniformed people with rifles and pistols.
Almost like they were being quarantined, yet the people in the SUV were
allowed through.

Personally I find this very disturbing to know, so I would like to have it
confirmed.

Are things really that messy there?
Is race really a major issue?

The real irony in this matter is this; rumours began to surface that relief
workers didn't dare to enter New Orleans because of the high risk factor
the city has to offer, so survivors began stealing food and water in order
to survive because help wouldn't come to town, then cops and soldiers
showed up with guns to stop the looting and some survivors were killed by
gunfire.

Is this, in any way, accurate?

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Chance favours the prepared mind.)
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:25:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Marcel,

Keep your eyes peeled for the Bad Bob shootout - it's an absolute
corker, mate! :-)))

Every time I watch that film, I see something that I'd missed before...

Regards,
John ward
"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:xuizkd5xnda5$.19snfda0j04g5$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:11:36 +1000, John Ward wrote:
>
>> Just like Judge Roy Bean, in his shootout with Stacey Keach, you've
>> gotta take advantage of every little "edge" that comes your way, mate!
>> :-))
>
> Hey!! No spoilers, man!
> I taped that movie last night and I'll be watching it tonight.
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (It's good to be the king! - Mel Brooks)
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:29:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Marcel,

Well, he did say Big Heart, not High IQ!

Oh oh, now there's going to be trouble....I think I'll start making a
break for it, too!! :-))

Regards,
John Ward
"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:74u9m8f8b4hy$.12tnoy8x6cxdb.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:10:56 GMT, Dallas wrote:
>
>> displaced pets... The lady's got a big heart.
>
> Well she took you in, didn't she?
>
> <ducks and runs for cover>
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (This is such a drag! - C3PO)
!