voip phone setup

i am registered with sipgate, and want to set up a siemens ip phone.
i cant find any specific instructions for this phone, but guess there
must be certain standard parameters that the phone needs in order to
connect to my network/broadband and make calls via sipgate.
can anyone point me to any info?
TIA.
8 answers Last reply
More about voip phone setup

    thanks very much for that, sounds straight forward enough. I'll try
    that out.
    If the sipgate soft-phone works ok, then is it likely that my router
    will still need configuring (port forwarding etc) for a hard-phone?

    "rob" <jedimaster.rob@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >i am registered with sipgate, and want to set up a siemens ip phone.
    > i cant find any specific instructions for this phone, but guess there
    > must be certain standard parameters that the phone needs in order to
    > connect to my network/broadband and make calls via sipgate.
    > can anyone point me to any info?
    > TIA.

    I don't know the device you have, but there are a few basic requirements
    to setup a phone/ATA for Sipgate.

    Firstly, and I know this may sound silly, but ensure your device supports
    the SIP protocol. Not all VoIP uses SIP and some devices don't support it.

    Assuming your device supports SIP, you need to enter the setup options,
    usually via a web interface or sometimes by using DTMF tones on the phone.
    You'll have to read the manual to determine how to do this for your
    device.

    Once in the setup, set the SIP port to 5060 and if the option is present
    the RTP port to 5004. Set the STUN server address to
    stun.sipgate.net:10000.

    Set the device to use a static IP if possible, if not you can use DHCP but
    it may possibly be a source of problems. On the other hand it may work
    fine with DHCP enabled (my Sipura does) but some devices like a static IP.

    The basic setup above should work for most devices. If it doesn't, you may
    need to forward ports 5004, 5060 and 10000 to the IP address of your
    device (this is one reason why a static IP is useful). Also you may need
    to set the DMZ of your router to the IP address of the device as well.

    Hope this helps, let me know. Email me direct if you prefer.

    --

    Ivor

    (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

    "Rob Walford" <jedimaster.rob@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > thanks very much for that, sounds straight forward enough. I'll try
    > that out.
    > If the sipgate soft-phone works ok, then is it likely that my router
    > will still need configuring (port forwarding etc) for a hard-phone?

    If you can use X-Lite then a hardware phone or ATA should work, but yes
    you may need to set up a DMZ or port forwarding. Try it and see, let us
    know here how you get on. If you want to do any tests, email me.

    --

    Ivor

    (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

    I'm not having much luck.
    Here are the settings the phone is asking for:

    Terminal number:
    Terminal name:
    Register by terminal name:

    SIP routing: Server Gateway Direct
    Registrar IP address or DNS name:
    Server IP address or DNS name:
    Gateway IP address or DNS name:
    Outbound proxy:
    Default OBP domain:
    SIP transport: UDP TCP
    SIP session timer enabled:
    SIP session timer value (1800-3600): seconds
    Registration timer value: seconds
    SIP realm:
    SIP user ID:
    New SIP password:
    Confirm SIP password:
    Beep on SIP server error:

    Message Waiting IP address or DNS name:
    Emergency number:
    Voicemail number:

    Branding/identity name

    Thanks in anticipation.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    ok, i have dial tone, but cant dial out or receive.
    any suggestions?
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    "Rob Walford" <jedimaster.rob@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1111005621.341574.101470@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
    > ok, i have dial tone, but cant dial out or receive.
    > any suggestions?

    Hi

    So what have you set to what from your list?

    It looks as if the phone doesnt support stun. and sipgate doesnt run a
    sip proxy so you will need to forward port 5060 to the set and the RTP
    ports as well.

    If you could give a clearer idea of you setup ie router, firewall etc.
    And also what you have set so far, maybe a more concise answer will be
    possible.

    Ian
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Ian:
    >sipgate doesnt run a sip proxy

    Of course they do: sipgate.co.uk
    Regards,
    Martin
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    "Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message news:<423a42a7$0$573$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>...
    > Ian:
    > >sipgate doesnt run a sip proxy
    >
    > Of course they do: sipgate.co.uk
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Ops Forgot the word outbound. Sipgate use Stun for nat traversal FWD
    and others run Stun as well as offering an outbound proxy these are
    normaly port 5082 for sets that dont support stun.

vpn Phones VoIP Networking