Which is better Tualatin Cele 1ghz or p3 933mhz coppermine?

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I have a new 2nd computer i started a forum on it we'll i was looking on ebay and found a p3 933mhz for $12.45

My setup is
MB:Intel Desktop i815E
Mem:512 (2x256mb Pc133)
Hdd:WD 40GB 7200 rpm
Video:Nvidia Geforce2 GTS 32mb
case:basic black case with 250watt PSU

Now i dont know which is better the
Pentium 3 933mhz L1 32K L2 256K FSB 133mhz 1.7V
Celeron-S 1ghz L1 32K L2 256K FSB 100mhz 1.5V

I dont know which is better on this so please help me on this

Thanks Let me what you think of the matter

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Well, the P3 is better stock, but, the Celeron will probably overclock fairly well. But, probably not in that intel board since they likely have it locked down fairly well.

If you can set the fsb to 133 with that celeron, then that would be the better processor.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I have a new 2nd computer i started a forum on it we'll i was looking on ebay and found a p3 933mhz for $12.45

My setup is
MB:Intel Desktop i815E
Mem:512 (2x256mb Pc133)
Hdd:WD 40GB 7200 rpm
Video:Nvidia Geforce2 GTS 32mb
case:basic black case with 250watt PSU

Now i dont know which is better the
Pentium 3 933mhz L1 32K L2 256K FSB 133mhz 1.7V
Celeron-S 1ghz L1 32K L2 256K FSB 100mhz 1.5V

I dont know which is better on this so please help me on this

Thanks Let me what you think of the matter

The P3 will be a little "snappier". The celeron isn't far behind, but if you

have any intention of overclocking either one, than the celeron is the

better pick. Not knowing what kind of RAM you have, you can overclock

the celeron to (quiet possibly) 1330/133FSB or more without pushing

your RAM . You also want to make sure that the mobo is Tualatin

compatable. GL :)

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
If i could overclock the Tualatin Celeron 1ghz to 1.3 and change the FSB from 100-133 i would it but i dont know where i could get software that would do that

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You don't need software to do it. You would do it in the bios settings, but intel boards probably won't let you set the stuff up manually, so chances are slim you could actually do it.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
If i could overclock the Tualatin Celeron 1ghz to 1.3 and change the FSB from 100-133 i would it but i dont know where i could get software that would do that
You could take a chance and pin-mod
the celeron which will trick the chipset into thinking that it's a 133 FSB
processor.

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Qestion how do you do that..lol i have been working on computers at the age 6. but i dotn know how to mod the pin if you tell me or have al ink where i can learn how to get it i would be so thank full

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Google "pin trick for taulatin."

I have had limited success with it, but it's worth a try, certainly. Check the bios first, but I'm nearly certain it won't allow you to adjust the fsb manually.

I've got a bunch of those cpu's, still in use. Not bad machines for being so old. My oldest is running on an old BX board that I bought brand new in 1998, and it's still in use. Course, it's overclocked, got an IDE controller, etc. But, 1.45G is plenty for a lot of stuff and it still runs AutoCAD too.

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Get the Pentium. Overclocking will be a hassle if you're not experienced
... On second thought... get them both, overclock the sh1t out of the celery and if it blows up use the other one :p

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
i tryied looking up the pin trick bt i could nto really find anthing so how would i do?

Please i would like to turn it in to a 1.2 or maybe even a 1.4

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
The Tualatin-cored Celeron is going to be faster than the Coppermine Pentium III. It has a 66Mhz raw clock speed advantage, smaller process and the same sized cache (both have 256Kb). Before someone says 133FSB is more worthwhile, it really doesn't offer any significant (or even noticeable) advantage over the 100FSB in the Celeron, the 66Mhz increase would cover that any day. Besides, you can run the RAM at PC133 speeds. Benchmark the Tualatin Celeron and you'll see what I mean, I owned one before. It'll also output less heat. The only reason they weren't popular was because Tualatin support was very restricted and in light of the Pentium 4's arrival.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I disagree.

Besides, he can't [likely] run anything off stock on an intel MB. All in all, the 2 processors side by side and stock speed, I'd go with the P3, and that is based on experience with many machines of that species. I may end up wrong, but....nah. :wink:

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Celeron is just a name (and one which causes any enthusiast to shudder). Just because the other is a 'Pentium' doesn't mean it is better.

Tell me, apart from the FSB, what the problem with the Celeron is in this case? It has a 66Mhz clock speed advantage, its on a newer, smaller process and has ties to the monstrously fast Pentium III-S, which still sells for a small fortune and offered performance almost considered unattainable back then.

I have used the Celeron-S (as the original poster called it), though I used to refer to it as the Celeron Tualatin when I had one and it blew away a similarly clocked Pentium III Coppermine in benchmarks (which I did do because I had to be sure). At the end of the day, it's someone else's PC, but I'm just relaying what I've seen personally; the Celeron-S is a formidable CPU and shouldn't be overlooked because of the stigma attached to a name...

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You are absolutely right and I never said that it was cel v. P3. The 2 processors are essentially the same. The cel is running on smaller geometry, but that's it. They are identical electrically, save the geometry thing, but that really doesn't count.

I have a dual P3 1.4G server. I have numerous P3 machines of different flavors. A couple P3 1G's, 3 taulatin celerons oc's to 1.45.

The difference in these particular machines [not processors] is the memory bandwidth. For those 2 machines I'd take the P3 any day of the week. If it were down to the choice of just those 2 things, 933 at 133fsb or 1g at 100 fsb, I'm taking the 933.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Let's agree to disagree.

You can run the memory at PC133 speed with the Celeron processor, even with a 100Mhz FSB. So it will run async but that's barely an issue, not when there is 66Mhz more clock speed in it.

The only time I'd take the Pentium over the Celeron is if I was selling the machine on. It's a stupid fact but when I sell Centrino-class laptops which are fitted with Dothan Celeron Ms (90nm, 1Mb cache), I always change the Celeron M for a Pentium M (usually a Banias 130nm, 1Mb cache also) because if I sold a Celeron people would flinch away, even though the Celeron is the better CPU here (it's less power-hungry, despite lack of Speedstep).

Maybe I misread your comment and for that I apologise, but I still stand by my opinion; a Celeron-S @ 1Ghz with PC133 RAM will out-do a Pentium III CuMine @ 933Mhz with PC133 RAM.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Let's agree to disagree.

You can run the memory at PC133 speed with the Celeron processor, even with a 100Mhz FSB. So it will run async but that's barely an issue, not when there is 66Mhz more clock speed in it.

The only time I'd take the Pentium over the Celeron is if I was selling the machine on. It's a stupid fact but when I sell Centrino-class laptops which are fitted with Dothan Celeron Ms (90nm, 1Mb cache), I always change the Celeron M for a Pentium M (usually a Banias 130nm, 1Mb cache also) because if I sold a Celeron people would flinch away, even though the Celeron is the better CPU here (it's less power-hungry, despite lack of Speedstep).

Maybe I misread your comment and for that I apologise, but I still stand by my opinion; a Celeron-S @ 1Ghz with PC133 RAM will out-do a Pentium III CuMine @ 933Mhz with PC133 RAM.

If I'm right, you can't run the memory assync [on that motherboard]. Running memory assync in many cases, from tests I can not source so you must trust me though I wouldn't trust you :wink: , will show little to no improvement, and sometimes less performance. All in all, I'd stick with the p3, but at the end of the day...we're talking about 6 year old stuff. It really won't matter that much one way or the other, will it?

One thing I will stand by, however, is that the geometry of the processor means nothing. They are the same. Same cache, same everything, just different geometry. The cel would clock higher, but at stock speeds it's pretty much the same as the P3. So, the same clocked processor of different processes [geometries] in this case will yield the same performance results.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I don't know about the board but the chipset can do it, my ASUS TULS2-C was happy and stable whilst doing it.

Anyway, to sum up:

Overclock the Celeron-S to a 133Mhz FSB @ 1.33Ghz (there is plenty of headroom in a Tualatin core which went up to 1.4Ghz, O/C could reach 1.6Ghz+ and, I think, there was only one rev.) and everyone is happy. You get synchronous PC133 RAM, the faster FSB and without a doubt, a significantly faster CPU than the 933Mhz PIII.

Though as Pain said, it's old equipment, the marginal differences are just that...