Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Micro stuttering cont.. (Video)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 31, 2005 1:50:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Gregory, sorry it took so long.. I got Internet connectivity back
today.

Here's the link:

http://www.simradar.com/Feature/3445/Micro_Stuttering_m...


(I just uploaded the video, it takes 20 minutes once I upload a video
to simradar to propagate to the download server)

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
August 31, 2005 3:34:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:50:07 -0500, Jose <Jose@forums.simradar.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory, sorry it took so long.. I got Internet connectivity back today.
>
>Here's the link:
>
>http://www.simradar.com/Feature/3445/Micro_Stuttering_m...
>

It's a fighter jet.. yes? looks like a nice system there. The stutter
resemble a small pause. Are you sure it's the Texture bmps? If so..
a way to diagnose is open a CMD in each of the folders (default
fs9 and upgraded fs9) and type: dir > dir.txt that will make
ASCII listings in file dir.txt. For sorting options type: dir /?

After that.. a program like http://www.textpad.com/ can run a DIFF
on the two DIR's. It would locate different file dates and sizes. Just
some ideas. Are you going to stick with the defaults or investigate it
further?


-G
Related resources
August 31, 2005 4:05:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:49:03 -0500, Jose <Jose@forums.simradar.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Check the screenshot I just uploaded.
>
>You can see it on alt.binaries.flightsims.screenshots or
>http://forums.simradar.com/_P261552.html
>

You mean certain texture files increase from ~20k, 30k, 40k and 170k
up to 1300k? That's a LOT bigger. If DXTBmp is installed.. opening
the files will reveal some info [on them].. they are probably 1024x
1024 pix. Normal is?? 256x256 ?

Not sure about the encoding of terrain textures.. have asked but those
who know aren't talking [about it] much. Could they be reduced to 512x
512? Is ImageTool required to code/compress terrain bmps correctly?


-Gregory
August 31, 2005 4:05:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Correct and the cause for the stutters too. I uninstalled those
textures, and replaced them with the original fs9.1 ones (from a fresh
install) and solved all my problems.

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:31:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Ah! You have Airport Environment 7! I have that and at Ibby's suggestion on
this NG I removed the textures for the runways and taxiways, leaving just
the buildings. That made a big difference in performance. I then moved the
page file to my second HD and that resulted in a complete solution to the
problem. I suppose that if you have larger texture files they will take
longer to load and therefore cause pauses to occur.:0))

Iain

"Jose" <Jose@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1125460129.30091@forums.simradar.com...
> Check the screenshot I just uploaded.
>
> You can see it on alt.binaries.flightsims.screenshots or
> http://forums.simradar.com/_P261552.html
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
August 31, 2005 2:06:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:45:05 -0500, Jose <Jose@forums.simradar.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Correct and the cause for the stutters too. I uninstalled those
>textures, and replaced them with the original fs9.1 ones (from a
>fresh install) and solved all my problems.
>


If you'd like to do more investigating.. here's a duplicate of the
Texture Preview procedure posted earlier in another thread..


* * * * *


With a new or fresh install.. now's a good time to ZIP the default
textures. That way a `know good' set is available. Notice the date
stamps on the BMPs. Taking it a step further.. you can make
preview JPGs in a batch-mode to get familiarized with the texture
codes (filenames) using a program by Martin Wright...

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/convim.ht...


The two folders to Zip are:

FS2004\Scenery\World\texture

FS2004\Texture


If you really get into a study.. the JPGs can be separated into:

/ - lm (night textures)
/ hw (hard winter)
/ sp (spring)
/ su (summer)
/ wi (winter)


...folders for easy thumbnailing and (re)viewing.
August 31, 2005 2:12:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I would be interested in downsizing those textures myself to see the
results. I Appreciate all the info Gregory, thanks.

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:39:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Iain,
Glad I helped your problem. It was down to elimination which worked for me
with AE7. Watched Jose video and apart from the intermitent stutter it
looked very smooth. My system is pretty good but I wish I could get it that
smooth with fast flying jets and running FRAPS as well

Ibby

"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D f3td8$ghk$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Ah! You have Airport Environment 7! I have that and at Ibby's suggestion
> on this NG I removed the textures for the runways and taxiways, leaving
> just the buildings. That made a big difference in performance. I then
> moved the page file to my second HD and that resulted in a complete
> solution to the problem. I suppose that if you have larger texture files
> they will take longer to load and therefore cause pauses to occur.:0))
>
> Iain
>
> "Jose" <Jose@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> news:1125460129.30091@forums.simradar.com...
>> Check the screenshot I just uploaded.
>>
>> You can see it on alt.binaries.flightsims.screenshots or
>> http://forums.simradar.com/_P261552.html
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
>> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
>
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:14:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

ah... 1024x1024 textures push ANY gfx card way over the top. 512x512 would
be hard on most gfx cards...512mb cards would be "ok" with it, but unluckly
they generaly come with mid/low end GPU's that take away the good thing of
having 512mb

Surely you could use a problem to reduce those textures to 512 instead of
totaly going back to defaults?

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb


"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:nmaah1pmfj8s4d2lpgd1hs22leru16am5v@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:49:03 -0500, Jose <Jose@forums.simradar.com>
> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Check the screenshot I just uploaded.
>>
>>You can see it on alt.binaries.flightsims.screenshots or
>>http://forums.simradar.com/_P261552.html
>>
>
> You mean certain texture files increase from ~20k, 30k, 40k and 170k
> up to 1300k? That's a LOT bigger. If DXTBmp is installed.. opening
> the files will reveal some info [on them].. they are probably 1024x
> 1024 pix. Normal is?? 256x256 ?
>
> Not sure about the encoding of terrain textures.. have asked but those
> who know aren't talking [about it] much. Could they be reduced to 512x
> 512? Is ImageTool required to code/compress terrain bmps correctly?
>
>
> -Gregory
>
August 31, 2005 7:14:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:14:07 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>ah... 1024x1024 textures push ANY gfx card way over the top. 512x512 would
>be hard on most gfx cards...512mb cards would be "ok" with it, but unluckly
>they generaly come with mid/low end GPU's that take away the good thing of
>having 512mb
>
>Surely you could use a [program] to reduce those textures to 512 instead of
>totaly going back to defaults?

They could be opened in DXTBmp but not sure of the best (and correct)
way to `save' the terrain textures back after reducing. The tricks of
`aircraft texture reduction' are used all the time here.. typically
reducing from 1024x to 512x and saved as DXT1.

Haven't had time to dig into the Terrain SDK where some coding is
described.. but have saved the Imagetool HELP plates. Not clear what
switches to use. Imagetool can be run in batch mode. Must do some
experiments. So many projects.. so little time. :-}


-Gregory
August 31, 2005 10:47:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:12:08 -0500, Jose <Jose@forums.simradar.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>I would be interested in downsizing those textures myself to see
>the results. I Appreciate all the info Gregory, thanks.
>

contacted Martin.. he says normal terrain textures are 256x256 and can
be saved by DXTBmp using the DXT1 format. Also he says the calling
codes (seasonal) are set in the LC.

-G
!