256MB and 512MB test

Azgaard

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
hey all, i'm looking to buy a new base system, i will be have a 3800+ duel core with some Asus mobo, can't remeber off the top of my head but i am looking to buy a new GFX card. all i was wondering if there is a comparation chart that i can see how better the 512MB GFX cards perform better than the 256MBs

is it worth paying that extra 70 pounds ($120) or so for the 512 version.

i will be using my system for gaming and need to look at the future...

any links would be VERY much appricated.

please excuse poor spellings

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Your post is meaningless without any details and specifics on WHICH graphics card you're interested in. "a new GFX card" means absolutely nothing. Still I'll try to answer your question: usually two identical graphics cards whose only difference is the amount of memory they're carrying will perform similarly with only minor differences. The extra 256MB of memory on the higher-end cards help with larger textures at higher resolutions. If you're getting a budget card you won't be playing at very high resolutions or with all the eye-candy on anyway, so 512MB of VRAM will be a waste

Azgaard

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
define budget and yes, the same card that the only difference would be the amount of memory. and personly i wouldn't class a card at £200 or so a budget card as i 'm spending £200 on a new processor aswell as £100 on the mobo. so i guess i'm not lookingat the bog standard bottom end budget but i aint looking at the top of the range 7950's

let me help you in your quest in answering my question then by giving some more information of examples

Leadtek GeForce 7900 GT Extreme 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-079-LT)

and...

Leadtek GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-078-LT

in this perticuler case, would the card warrent an extra £100? i'm not quite sure how much better performance the GTX and the GT extreme is but i would guess not alot, but the MB would be the biggest factor in this case? on a game such as quake4... is it worth paying that extra bit?

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
The GTX is better than the GT and not because of the extra amount of memory. It's mostly because of the core clock and memory clock. But 100 quid more might be too much. It depends on your needs and your budget. I wouldn't go for the GTX over the GT unless I had money to burn and in that case I wouldn't pair it with a X2 3800+ but with at least a 4400+ (again if the budget is not too much of a concern).

Both cards will be more than you'll ever need for Quake 4

Don't blame me for generalising. You're the one skimping on info

Azgaard

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
so are u saying currently there isn't much point in having 512 until there are more heavy graphical games? if i was to be looking to keep this card for the next 3 yrs or so it might be better to get a 512 card instead of the 256?