Sign in with
Your question

Windows Vista Beta 2- First Thoughts

Last response: in Systems

Is 940MB Crazy for an OS to use out of the box?

Total: 79 votes

• Yes
  • 74 %
  • No
  • 27 %
June 10, 2006 12:43:54 AM

For those of you who are not aware, Windows Vista is now publically available from Microsoft for download. The download will offers both 32 and 64bit versions is heafty and 3.5-4.2GB depending on version.

Anyway, the point of the post is for people who might be planning a full Vista system. The version offered for download is Vista Ultimate. About 8GB of hard disk space in consumed by the install. The install is now completely done in a GUI interface, the blue screen text based installer has been removed. Very little important is required a well. My SATA hard drive on a RAID controller was seen by the installer, XP could not see it without the help of drivers.

Now here is the shocker. Boot the system up with Aero turned on, the system with no applications running using a whopping NINE HUNDRED FORTY MB of RAM. Yes, you read that right- almost 1GB of RAM WITH NO APPS RUNNING.

So, if you want to build a Vista system, 2GB of RAM is the absolute least about you should consider. 3-4GB is a better idea. As far as application support, everything I have tried in Vista works, but applcations such and iTunes and Firefox which try to assign themselves as the default applications for certain actions are unable to do so. In beta 2 at least, the defaults are stuck on MS products. This is might likely due to some permissions issue, but it is quite annoying.

I will post screenshots, and more info as it test it more.

--Duck
June 10, 2006 2:10:29 AM

Almost 1Gb?! Have you tried playing BF2 at 1280x1024 with high quality settings? :?
June 10, 2006 2:37:15 AM

Hrmmm... I haven't got to play with it extensively yet, but I installed it under vmware using a 50gig partition and using 512kb ram. Granted it couldn't use the areo glass desktop under VM, but it ran prertty smooth considering it could only use 512kb of ram. The new explorer looked a lot like OSX for mac.

I'll have to experiment with FF next week, but remember, this is still a beta.
Related resources
June 10, 2006 2:49:47 AM

Nowhere in any website that Ive read has mentioned this OS using over 900MB of RAM, if it did then I think Microsoft screwed up badly. In the "official system requiremets" doesnt say that you would need over a 1GB RAM to use the OS.

Did you use a program to tell you how much it was using?

I still think that its becuase its in BETA stages and its the ULTIMATE Edition, but why wouldnt anyone mention this? Im downloading the 64-bit version as we speak so I should post some info on my experience also.
June 10, 2006 2:53:57 AM

....on second thought, this OS will not use that much RAM, I mean 3-4GB a "better idea" sounds crazy. A few people have 1GB-2GB let alone 3 or 4GB.
It is a beta version after all.
June 10, 2006 2:59:54 AM

Quote:
Nowhere in any website that Ive read has mentioned this OS using over 900MB of RAM, if it did then I think Microsoft screwed up badly. In the "official system requiremets" doesnt say that you would need over a 1GB RAM to use the OS.

Did you use a program to tell you how much it was using?

I still think that its becuase its in BETA stages and its the ULTIMATE Edition, but why wouldnt anyone mention this? Im downloading the 64-bit version as we speak so I should post some info on my experience also.

Task Manager told me.. Turning Aero off saved 251MB of RAM.
June 10, 2006 3:05:50 AM

Hey Shadowduck, have tried playing games on Vista? If so what are the games and how's does it differ from the XP if there is any? :) 
June 10, 2006 3:11:52 AM

Quote:
Hey Shadowduck, have tried playing games on Vista? If so what are the games and how's does it differ from the XP if there is any? :) 

None yet, most wont work with DX10 right now. They just crash on load.
June 10, 2006 3:37:17 AM

How long does it take to boot the os?????
June 10, 2006 3:38:40 AM

New thoughts:

Vista uses a new boot manager- which does not support USB keyboard at this time. DO NOT install Vista unless you have a PS/2 keyboard if you want to switch OSes.

Aero is sweet, the task bar previews and new alt-tab windows are really cool. All windows fade in and out with minimized or new ones open.
June 10, 2006 4:01:56 AM

Quote:
New thoughts:

Vista uses a new boot manager- which does not support USB keyboard at this time. DO NOT install Vista unless you have a PS/2 keyboard if you want to switch OSes.

Aero is sweet, the task bar previews and new alt-tab windows are really cool. All windows fade in and out with minimized or new ones open.

I don't mean to be cynical but, are all windows users so easily impressed/pleased ?

A boot manager that doesn't support usb keyboards, oh dear. Gnu Grub has worked with them for years... Actually, this reminds me of the ReactOS project, they don't support usb keyboards/mice in the setup.

Ah, they eye candy, i guess M$ had to atleast include a new coat of paint to sell it's latest product. They pretty much left everything else out, hehe.
June 10, 2006 4:35:49 AM

First my disclosure: I have just downloaded Vista 64-bit but have not installed it.

Onto my 2 cents: 940MB RAM utilization for an ultimate edition sounds a bit odd. It raises my yellow flag and requires more investigation. How did you determine that 940MB was being used? I have a program which reports RAM utilization to my keyboard LCD and has proven to be fairly good about being accurate.

I have used IE7 and it seems to be a fairly good looking browser. I realise it looks mac like in its finish, and firefox with its tabs, but its a very big improvement for M$. The main reason I installed it (on my mothers computer while I'm home for the weekend) is because of the auto phising filter. I haven't seen it work first hand, but any help would be appreciated. I try and keep my mother informed about phish scams, but I can't always know everything so any help this filter will provide will be greatly appreciated.

As for the USB keyboard: That sounds a bit odd (imagine that lol). I am really puzzled by why your USB keyboard is acting funny. Keep us updated if you figure out why.

Gaming: All games supported by XP are supposed to run in Vista when it is released, but given this is Beta 2 it may be very buggy.

Side note: M$ Office 2007 is also out for download along with WMP 11.

WMP 11: M$ did alot of cosmetic work on this program as well. Overall it looks to be a fairly good update though there are a few things that concern me.

When you sort your library WMP 11 groups them by artist (if you sorted by artist) and inserts a section header for every artist so you end up having a decent amount of white space in your library listing. I can learn to deal with it, it was just not something I was expecting.

I will get to installing 64-bit Vista on my sig rig on Sunday and I will install 32-bit Vista on a 3 year old P4C Northwood to see how they compare. Each system has 2GB of RAM and are both capable of gaming. I will report back on Vista as I uncover some stuff.
June 10, 2006 4:39:18 AM

I installed vista beta 2 couple months back...thing was hoooorible.

It used 800-900 megs of ram, and it would have random freezes whenever i attempted to turn on applications.. Guess you need 2 cpus just to run it. :?

Not to mention that games actually ran slower on vista. CS source felt a bit laggier than usual, for me and a friend.

I'll be sticking with winxp + vista skin for the forseable future.
June 10, 2006 4:47:57 AM

Quote:
New thoughts:

ROFL... usb 2.0 keyboard. for those quick typers that need more bandwidth :roll:
June 10, 2006 7:30:15 AM

Where has anyone even mentioned usb 2.0 keyboards. Though the idea is good. I would like the usb ports on my keyboard to be better then crappy usb 1.

DDay
June 10, 2006 2:27:40 PM

Quote:
How long does it take to boot the os?????

20-25 seconds on a 250GB SATA hard drive with 16MB cache.
June 10, 2006 2:56:14 PM

I have been using Office 2007 since Beta 1, to answer your side note. Office 2007 is nice, and to me a vast improvement over Office 2003.

Here are some screenshots:

As you probably know, and can especially tell from the first two screenshots, MS did away with the menus in Office 2007. The category buttons at the top allow you to change the buttons (MS calls it the ribbon) to the most commonly used features. I think this a big improvment in UI design. The toolbar at the top where the Save button is, is called the Quick Access Toolbar. It can be customized like any toolbar in Office 2003 could.

This screenshot is a picture of the VASTLY better formula bar included in Office 2007. Finally the formula bar can scroll, so extra long formulas don't end up on top of your sheet like they did in Excel 2003, which was quite annoying and made editing the top of the sheet difficult. No more in Excel 2007.

Word has been redesigned in the same way with the ribbon and toolbar.

This feature is going to be taken out of the final version thanks to Adobe being a crybaby, but it will be still available as a free download from Microsoft.

More later- with some Vista screens too!
June 10, 2006 3:34:48 PM

nice GUI, I like it.

Show us some vista screens! I have to wait a an hour or two for my download to finish. Hopefull those RAM reqirements are a matter of a Bug Fix. Duck, did you feel yor comp lagging at all? What are your specs? :?: :D 
June 10, 2006 4:01:42 PM

What you are seeing is Page file usage, not raw memory usage. You arent using 1 gb of ram I will personally guarantee it, when I first booted up vista beta 2 it was using around 600 mbs of page file. It actually runs good, and stabily, how ever the boot up is a tad slow. I currently dont have a reason to complain about the performance of windows vista, it is much further on then xp would have ever been when it came out. Do any of you remember switching from 2000, to xp ?, it wouldnt have been as fast as switching from xp to vista which isnt even out yet. Once the compatability issues with games are fixed it will be an excellent os.
June 10, 2006 4:05:13 PM

Mark my words Vista will be a hog and be slower than XP at just about everything. I'm firm believer the push for multi core cpu was heavily driven by Microsoft so they could have a cpu run their fat OS.

I will run it because of work and the need to know how it works but I am very skeptical that will really improve my computing experience.
June 10, 2006 4:05:38 PM

Quote:
New thoughts:

I didn't encounter that problem with my USB keyboard. I am able to select between XP and Vista with no problem. I did have some problems with the boot manager but was able to fix them with Bcdedit.exe. If your install fails you can repair the MBR using the bootsect.exe utility in the /boot directory of the install DVD. You should definitely do a whole drive backup before installing Vista in the same drive as XP. Don't allow Vista to create a partition for itself using unallocated space during install. Create the partition before the installation.

Driver installation is a bit spotty but I was still able to get all my hardware to work. Sometimes an installation would fail and Vista would offer to reinstall with different settings and it worked like a charm. Very impressive. Installed Nero 6.6 which works perfectly with Vista, unlike Nero 7. The interface looks great, especially the new Start menu. I formatted my 1 gig flash drive to use with SuperFetch and it really does speed things up. Loading apps, IE7, Firefox, Office 2007 beta, Nero, etc. is actually faster than with XP. I imagine adding more RAM would also significantly boost performance. Vista does put a bigger strain on the CPU than XP. The cpu fan gets noisier when capturing video with a TV tuner card using Media Center. This doesn't happen under XP. The non-aero interface is pretty nice too for lower performance desktops and laptops. Sometimes I need to go into the Windows Classic interface just to make settings changes because I don't know how to do them in Vista. Cleartype looks even better under Vista than XP. IE7 is nice, but I think I'll stick with Firefox and Opera. (Firefox is my default browser but Opera has, in my opinion, the superior interface. As soon as Opera 9 is officially out, I will switch to it.)

I will upgrade my hardware to a faster cpu (Conroe) and more memory before I fully commit to Vista. Still, any machine with a 'modern' processor (A64, P4 or later) and at least 1 gig of memory should be able to run Vista just fine. I'm glad Microsoft is getting this OS out there in beta. Bug reporting is relatively painless and they'll now be getting tons of feedback from the millions of people who will install this beta. That will also make the eventual transition much easier for all those users.

P-D 830, Asus P5LD2, 1 gig RAM, X1600.
June 10, 2006 4:14:30 PM

Quote:
nice GUI, I like it.

Show us some vista screens! I have to wait a an hour or two for my download to finish. Hopefull those RAM reqirements are a matter of a Bug Fix. Duck, did you feel yor comp lagging at all? What are your specs? :?: :D 

No, it does not really lag, but it can be slow opening windows.

Athlon64 3000+ S939
AsRock Dual939 SATAII motherboard
1GB DDR-400 RAM (2x512)
128MB Geforce 6800 video card (AGP)
250GB Maxtor SATA hard drive with 16MB cache
Logitech wireless keyboard (keyboard part of the cordless duo)
Logitech G5 laser mouse

Everything worked out of the box except my sound card and NIC. The sound card driver for XP worked fine. The NIC driver I had to get a Vista one. Luckily ULI (nVidia now) has Vista chipset drivers already available.
June 10, 2006 4:26:17 PM

Quote:
Mark my words Vista will be a hog and be slower than XP at just about everything. I'm firm believer the push for multi core cpu was heavily driven by Microsoft so they could have a cpu run their fat OS.

I will run it because of work and the need to know how it works but I am very skeptical that will really improve my computing experience.

I would have thought the same thing but it actualy seems to be equal and look better at the same time as XP. Overal I have to say with some more work MS has a good OS on the way. One complaint it asks you too much if you want to do something :(  I also wish it had better driver support for XP drivers (my USB wireless was not supported and it didnt like the XP driver but I managed to get it working lol)
June 10, 2006 4:39:35 PM

RAM usage has 643MB available from 1024MB. That is also with Firefox open, ICQ running, email checker, and keyboard software.
Total usage including the PF is currently 525MB. Albeit with some stuff disabled like WinDefender and WMC services. Aero however is running.

Running latest Nv88.61 x86 drivers and I can play ShadowGround from Steam. Just tested HL2:Ep1 and it runs fine - nearly as good, but a noticable difference slower, as it does from WinXP. Not bad at all for a beta. With Hl2:Ep1 running RAM usage reached as high as 98% showing from the Logitech G15 LCD performance monitor. Also running with 5.1 sound with RealTek's Vista drivers.

Don't remember the boot loader not working with my USB keyboard. During install it worked 100% fine.

Abit KD7-RAID
AMD 2600+ w/fsb oc
PC2700 1024 (2x 512 dimms) Crucial RAM
Nv6600GT AGP
IDE 80GB HDD 8MB cache w/Vista's extra performance enhancement enabled
June 10, 2006 4:52:03 PM

BF2 has been installed, and works fine. I havent tried really hq settings but it works, this is an extreme improvement over their last version. This o/s is definitly further along then I expected.
June 10, 2006 5:35:15 PM

Someone asked for screenshots, so here you go!

The new System control panel, which makes it easier to get to certain areas. (The old one is still there, just hit Advanced Settings and it pops up.) Notice, legal copies of Windows now get a nice little logo.

New Vista folder design. Very Mac-Like if you ask me, with the removal of DOS style paths. The root is now Computer, not the drive you are on. Clicking any of the right arrows in the path produces a dropdown with every folder on the drive/folder picked.

Saving a file in Paint, whose new default file type is PNG not BMP ending a long-running stand for BMP. Paint also got a visual makeover. Notice the new design for the Save dialog box too.

New picture viewer with some more options showing one of my characters in Guild Wars Factions.

Redesigned Display Properties control panel, now called Personalization.
Click on the options to get the old system box with that tab pre-selected.

Thumbnail views of pictures in Vista, with Trillian Pro 3.1 running while connected to AIM, MSN, and Yahoo.

Windows sidebar with 2 "gagets" installed, slideshow and calculator.

Windows sidebar still running with Paint open, showing Aero window-preview.
June 10, 2006 5:56:22 PM

I really do hope that there is no USB keyboard problem with vista or else I'm screwed. I don't have any non-USB ports on my computer so if it needs one, I'm hosed.

One question I wanna ask is, should I install the 32 bit one or the 64 bit one with my p4 630. I know it has EMT64 but would it be better for me to get the 32 bit one or 64 bit. Right now I'm downloading both so I can try the 32 bit on an older computer but if I dont need to download anothre 4 gigs of stuff, then its all good for me.
June 10, 2006 6:13:55 PM

I tried it but since then I tried playing games on it, then it crashed! :cry:  Some of my files are gone but the important ones are fine and so I reinstalled my regular OS Windows XP HE. It's true that is uses insane amount of ramage to boot up, it's not even funny. If this thing isn't going to change then PC's would have to come with 1Gb off the shelves. I'm still wondering how well would Vista plays games with DX10.
June 10, 2006 6:16:02 PM

Thats my question, 64 bit or no. I am tending towards 64 bit soley because that is where the market will eventually head and I want to know how M$ is handling it from the get go.

Like you I have an older (but still solid) somputer that I will have to install 32-bit vista on, so I should have an even comparison. The systems are about even in performance (except video cards) so I will have a good base for deciding 32 bit or 64 bit. I just hope M$ puts a big ass Fu**ing sticker on the Vista boxes that say 32 or 64 bit so people aren't confused and buy the wrong one. I know no techy would but so much of the world doesn't know jack.
June 10, 2006 6:23:51 PM

Here's another question I have. I don't wanna overwrite my winxp so I'm gonna put it on another... something. If I make a 50 gig partition for vista, but then later want to destroy it so I have more for xp, can I just delete the partition and all the space will go back into the first partition or do I have to do all this crazy crap and end up having to reinstall everything. I don't mind too much if there's some stuff that you have to go through, just I really dont wanna have to reinstall everything since I have no backup.
June 10, 2006 7:33:08 PM

Would believe you would have to re-do all partitions. A partition can't change until re-created as far as I know. I know you can delete a partition but you can't just put 2 together without destroying all data.

However, since Vista and XP both use NTFS you should be able use the partition from Vista while using XP.

Faster to put them on seperate HDDs.
June 10, 2006 9:01:41 PM

Quote:
Here's another question I have. I don't wanna overwrite my winxp so I'm gonna put it on another... something. If I make a 50 gig partition for vista, but then later want to destroy it so I have more for xp, can I just delete the partition and all the space will go back into the first partition or do I have to do all this crazy crap and end up having to reinstall everything. I don't mind too much if there's some stuff that you have to go through, just I really dont wanna have to reinstall everything since I have no backup.

uhh yeah you can delete windows vista folders in that partition. then resize the partition using partition magic. THEN, boot from ur windows cd and go to recovery console and type fixmbr and fixboot....and THERE YOU GO =)
June 11, 2006 6:40:33 PM

What games were you playing on it ? all of the games I have tried so far work, BF2, CS 1.6, and star craft how ever I havent got a chance to install anything else. Bf2 wont allow online play because of punk buster :evil:  which btw is the worst and most frustrating anti cheat program ever designed. It says I have insufficient o/s requirements.... yep thats right punkbuster you caught me...im trying to do dx exploits to look through walls with my new operating system....you got me red handed.
June 12, 2006 1:18:59 AM

Quote:

None yet, most wont work with DX10 right now. They just crash on load.

I keep hearing they won't work and I tried a few anyways and they worked for me, just choppy. I was playing Doom 3, HL2 and counter-strike source online fine though.
June 12, 2006 6:32:57 PM

The framerate isnt lower at all, the only thing that isnt as great is vistas memory management, but that comes with all new versions of windows they constantly use more and more memory, was to be expected.
June 12, 2006 8:49:50 PM

My own opinion, at least on my box, Vista seems very power hungry. I turned on the sidebar CPU/Memory meter: CPU is never below 80% at idle, and memory is at 40%. Some specs of my system below.

Athlon XP 2200+ socket A
Soyo SY-KT880 Dragon 2 motherboard
2GB DDR-PC2100 RAM (4x512)
256mb ATI X700 video card (AGP)
160 GB SATA HD (Primary)
120 GB IDE HD
60 GB IDE HD

Some of my equipment isn't the newest, but should be able to handle idle OS at least. Hopefully the Vista release will tone down the power consumption a little. Or maybe I'll finally have to move into the Athlon 64 market before I upgrade to Vista.
June 12, 2006 11:18:23 PM

Yes, I finally got Vista 64bit installed on my computer. It is registering at 40% RAM (still significant but not the 940MB suggested) and CPU is irradic, only because im installing drivers lol.

40% of 2048 ~=800MB with every goodie turned on
June 13, 2006 4:56:44 AM

Tried out both 32 and 64 bit this weekend after finishing up my first build, Vista on my specs in my sig runs as good as XP does on my Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 1.8 ghz, 512MB RAM, and a 9600SE. My CPU meter was at 100% pretty much all the time and it used up 50% of my 2 GB of RAM at times. Gaming was ok, but my 3dmark scores went up after switching back to XP.

My advice to everyone is, wait until RC1, it would probably do better as Beta 2 did WAY better than Beta 1 did. And also.... isn't this supposed to be in the software forums???
June 13, 2006 5:47:18 AM

i was running the 32bit version of vista on my computer running a 3700+ with 1 gig of ram and a 7300 video card. i had no problems with the display or any of the things that come with vista. after reading this post earlier i checked my mem use and i was using about 500mb or ram that is with explorer, outlook and yahoo running. i dont know what your setup is but to be using 900+mb is insane and i cant see it using that. please provide a screenshot.
June 13, 2006 6:04:00 AM

I will never use effects!
If that aero glass uses cca 200mb i will shut it off :evil: 

I do not have any effects now on xp and they slows the fastest pc's on earth.

It will be tolerated if vista will using about 500-600 mb's.

GrTz!
June 13, 2006 6:57:00 AM

yeah this os looks great, but performes like crap.
i installed vista beta 2... one my other system
since this com has some important stuff
dang... the system i installed to has...
athlon x2 3800+ oced to 2.5ghz w/ 1gig ddr 4000
damn this thing is slow.
especially x64... slower than x86...
it's barely usable when sidebar is disabled... aero slows a lot too...
maybe because it is beta, but still...
even without sidebar and aero, it still is a bit slow and lag
it seems like it's taking shit load of resources from everything.
just to try out,
i added 2gig ram from my computer i'm using right now,
damn it works okay... 3 gigs... c'mon...
that's too much ain't it?

pretty things can hurt...
June 13, 2006 8:20:15 AM

No. I tried playing Battlefield 2 and then my system crashed and never booted up again so I have installed it again but it still didn't play so I just give up and reinstall my regular operating system (XP Home Edition) and everything works again normally. Good thing I backed up all my important files.

I don't know the problem is I think there is some sort of conflicts in some of my programs with the Vista it just doesn't work. :cry: 

I will try it again sometime, when the Beta gets improved or something.
June 13, 2006 1:57:43 PM

Quote:
i was running the 32bit version of vista on my computer running a 3700+ with 1 gig of ram and a 7300 video card. i had no problems with the display or any of the things that come with vista. after reading this post earlier i checked my mem use and i was using about 500mb or ram that is with explorer, outlook and yahoo running. i dont know what your setup is but to be using 900+mb is insane and i cant see it using that. please provide a screenshot.

After rebooting, the RAM usage dropped to around 500MB like everyone else is reporting. I am not sure what happened the first time. :
June 13, 2006 2:40:05 PM

Master I must admit I installed B2 a few weeks ago and had the same issues with freezing and program crashes, i also had issues with my wireless NIC drivers. I had to force them to install and then it crashed and lost the ability to use these drivers once a reboot took place. I used it for about 20 minutes before claiming it was TOTAL GARBAGE. I will stick to XP or something more stable for the time being. Seems like another Windows ME a little suped up if you ask me.
June 13, 2006 2:40:58 PM

This is a general Q: was anyone able to actually boot from the install image?

I had a system set up for it to see if I could perform a clean install, but it did not successfuly boot from the DVD. Upon looking at the files at the root directory, I noticed it mentioned efi... I don't have the disc in front of me, but if I am correct, it was... bootmgr.efi?
June 13, 2006 2:46:57 PM

Quote:
This is a general Q: was anyone able to actually boot from the install image?

I had a system set up for it to see if I could perform a clean install, but it did not successfuly boot from the DVD. Upon looking at the files at the root directory, I noticed it mentioned efi... I don't have the disc in front of me, but if I am correct, it was... bootmgr.efi?

I was able to boot from the DVD fine. Yes, Vista uses EFI instead of BIOS and loads an EFI boot manager.
June 13, 2006 3:38:39 PM

I loaded Vista Beta 2 on an older system yesterday running the following:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
640MB DDR RAM PC3200
128MB Radeon 9600XT
40GB Hardrive
MSI Motherboard

So, far it has been a good experience. I have Aero running and the whole system is suprising responsive eventhough I am not running a Gig of memory. It looks pretty sweet. At boot up right now I am using about 69-70% of memory. So, 1GB should be the standard. The installation went smooth and detected everything the system without any issues. I just started installing apps on it to see what will run, and so far haven't really hit any major snags. So far so good....
June 13, 2006 4:12:15 PM

get punk buster to work for now you can turn off UCA. I'm running it at work on my main Comp. Havn't had any major problems yet. Its running on a stock PD 805 with 2G of ram. according to my sidebar gadget I'm using 2% CPU and 35% mem... Memory seems to hover around there, All im running atm is outlook, communicator, and 3 instances of IE7, dual monitors running aero glass and sidebar.
June 13, 2006 4:39:36 PM

dude It's just me or were you a bit over the top......940
I've just istalled windows vista a few days ago on a p4 3.2 prescott (the only real use i've done to this machine besides beeing a server... IT WAS A GIFT....no harsh comments on the proc) 1gb of ram ddr400(single channel) and 160gis of hdd (sata 8mb seagate), the problem with the usb keyboard didn't happen to me... maybe it was your keyboard, what did happen it was that the ps/2 keyboard fail when the soundcard drivers were installedbut besides that it runs just fine...... it`s a little slow but so was xp when it first came out.........ohh and the memory usage on my iddle machine is 633mb
June 13, 2006 4:45:50 PM

Blue... I had a issue trying to boot from the dvd too. It started to load and then just hung on 3 seperate computers.
!