Delayed Write Failed... Fixing....

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Here's the deal. I've got a pair of 150GB Western Digital HD's set up in a storage array. Once I fill them up to around 145 GB's total, I start getting this Delayed Write Failed error when I try to access files that I've recently created. I've figured out that for some reason Windows does not like reading files that far on my physical drive. Apparently there is a fix, by updating a file called "atapi.sys", as shown here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842520/en-us

Unfortunately, I am not able to find this file without paying microsoft 35 dollars, so...

I've cleaned up my disk space from 197GB to 82GB (Wow, right?) and I have no problems doing stuff now, except that there are just a few files on the far end of my storage array that makes it so I cannot defragment, and whenever the computer tries to access those files, it dies. So, what I need is to figure out what those files are and either move them or kill them.

How do I figure out what the files at the end of my drive are?

PS: The system shown in signature is not the system I am working on. :roll:

gunny10

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I too get this error message but under different circumstances. It happens to me only when I try to download to a networked folder. The strange thing is that I have no problem if I transfer files to that networked folder.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
If you're consistently getting these errors at a certain point in terms of space on the device, I'd say you have a bad drive.

Take each drive individually and attach it by itself to a standard SATA controller, and run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on it (backup all data first). I bet one of the drives is bad.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
That fix isnt even about a HDD. Its unrelated.
Most likely your problem is some bad sectors on your hdd which is also why you cannot defragment. May last couple more years with bad sectors or might die tommorow.

windows_key+E
Right click the drive letter assigned to the partition you wish to check.
Choose properties
select tools tab
In error checking click on Check Now
Do NOT select any of the two checkboxes at this time.
If it works fine as in no errors then backup FIRST then select both options and do it again.