Conroe or the 2.66Ghz OC to 4.1Ghz? Sorry!! And thanks!

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Hey. I see lots of other threads on this, so I'm sorry for asking. But I was just wondering.

I saw the article on how to overclock the 805D to 4.1Ghz. I need to build a new system before college. And want to know whether to wait or not for the conroe or just build this system and try to overclock it to 4.1ghz.

The article says the 805 consumes a lot of power (not a problem for me), but it can reach 4.1ghz. The conroe will be better than the OC'd version of this cpu, right?

So should I go ahead and wait 2 months for the conroe, or build my system with the 805.

side info: I use my pc for high-end gaming, lots of web-browsing, photoshop. The works basically.

Thanks!

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
wow thx for the reply.

I think I just might wait now. So people can overclock their conroe's 50% regularly? Sry for my math right now, but I'm extremley tired.

So that's like. 3.8Ghz with the conroe's overclocked!!!!??

-thx again, im checkin the sticky now.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I need to build a new system before college.
The problem is your timing. Conroe isn't slated for release until July 23. You may
not see them on shelves until late August or early September, which is kind
of pushing it "timewise" for you. Ideally, you should wait for Conroe, or if you just can't wait that long, then (as Jack said) get the 805D, and look to upgrade
somewhere down the road. GL :)

PS: It's looking like Conroe will smoke the 805 at gaming. :wink:

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I would wait for the conroe because that will not put a hole in your pocket and will least for a 1-3 or even maybe years at that.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The most likely scenario is that only select few pre-built computers from Dell and the likes will have a Conroe at launch.

I seriously doubt that retail channels will have those CPUs for sale at launch, on top of that, the demand is likely to excess the offer, further driving the cost up for early adopters despite the low 1000 units price.

As for overclocking an 805D, there is a slew of threads about that very topic, you need to consider that you'll need watercooling and an high-end motherboard with top of the line VRMs in order to feed that power hungry thing and keep it cool and stable under load. Even if power consumption is no issue for you, you need to keep in mind that you will have to dissipate the heat that the CPU will generate, nothing short of watercooling will do the trick.

On top of that, stability under sustained loads will be a big issue, I don't think that you will manage to run it stable at 4.1GHz for a long period of time, short benchmark runs won't be a problem but forget about running it at that speed for 8 to 12 hours at a time under 100% load.

You may not share my concerns for stability (I run my 'rig at 2.85GHz 24/7 under 100% load with two instances F@H) but consider that an unstable comp is just an oversized paperweight and a liability in case you work with sensitive data.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Even if power consumption is no issue for you, you need to keep in mind that you will have to dissipate the heat that the CPU will generate
This could work to your advantage, depending which state you're attending school in. If you're in Alaska, and staying in residence that is stingy with the heat, you can keep your room VERY toasty. :p Being a smart*ss is in my blood. :wink:

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
nah. seriously though. I thought of that. My room would be pretty warm in the winter (texas).

But okay. Do you think they'll have more info sometime by the end of this month on who will be selling the conroe? I always buy things from newegg, outpost, and tigerd.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
nah. seriously though. I thought of that. My room would be pretty warm in the winter (texas).

But okay. Do you think they'll have more info sometime by the end of this month on who will be selling the conroe? I always buy things from newegg, outpost, and tigerd.
I would think that some info will start trickling in by then, but we probably won't hear alot til early July, unless Intels yields are
better than expected, and they bump up release again(possible).

stusigpi

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Yields are fine. The problem comes from filling the channel completly. Sometimes in our county we forget that the chips are used worldwide. Its the Mobo that is going to be the main issue. If you are building a nice system which I am assuming you are then it is worth the wait even if it is late september. Limp along with a less powerfull system. Anyone that went from a P4 system to a Pentium M can tell you that that switch was worth the wait. So save your money until then.

Also the noise difference between the two systems is going to make it worth it.

TRENDING THREADS