IP Phone That Support HTTP

The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about phone support http

    Hello,

    > reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
    > written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
    > know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
    Why do you need HTTP? You can send messages to the IP phone using SIP...

    WBR, Andrew
    --
    Andrew Zhilenko
    Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

    "gabriel smith" <gabrielsmith@nowhere.com> kirjoitti viestissä

    > The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
    > good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
    > address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
    > movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
    > reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
    > written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
    > know of the existence of such phones.

    You must be thinking abaut something similar to the French Minitel.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

    Early CRT terminal:
    http://www.bctech.fr/telephonie/telmini1.html

    Later model with LCD:
    http://www.beotech.co.uk/minitel.htm

    --
    Petri Krohn
    Helsinki Neighborhood Networking Association

    Cisco phones gave a menu system that uses XML files served from an HTTP
    server.

    gabriel smith wrote:

    > The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
    > good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
    > address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
    > movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
    > reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
    > written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
    > know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
    > appreciated.

    Intertel makes a very expensive one that does this - the intertel model
    8690 phone.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    InterTel is a WIndows CE device, any comment on its stability? I use
    Windows CE as a PDA and I find it useful, but the battery drench way
    too fast, any comment? Thanks
    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:09:27 -0500, sean <sean@snerts-r-us.org> wrote:

    >gabriel smith wrote:
    >
    >> The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
    >> good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
    >> address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
    >> movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
    >> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
    >> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
    >> know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
    >> appreciated.
    >
    >Intertel makes a very expensive one that does this - the intertel model
    >8690 phone.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    The InterTel is a Windows CE device, I am wondering you could comment
    on its stability? I use Windows CE as a PDA, I find it useful, my only
    problem is that the battery drench very fast. Thanks
    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:09:27 -0500, sean <sean@snerts-r-us.org> wrote:

    >gabriel smith wrote:
    >
    >> The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
    >> good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
    >> address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
    >> movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
    >> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
    >> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
    >> know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
    >> appreciated.
    >
    >Intertel makes a very expensive one that does this - the intertel model
    >8690 phone.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    We have used the XML interface on Cisco 7940/7960/7970 phones to
    display custom menus, weather reports, outage announcements, etc.
    Public information on how to do it is here:
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Cisco+79XX+XML+Services
    If you don't want to write your own code, there are companies like
    http://phone-xml.berbee.com/ or http://www.aptigen.net/ that will do
    it for a fee.

    HTH,

    JDB
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    What other VoIP phones offer the same sort of buttons/menus?

    "JDBalogh" <JDB@psu-dot-edu.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > We have used the XML interface on Cisco 7940/7960/7970 phones to
    > display custom menus, weather reports, outage announcements, etc.
    > Public information on how to do it is here:
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Cisco+79XX+XML+Services

VPN Phones Support IP Phone Networking