IP Phone That Support HTTP

The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
appreciated.

Hello,

> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
> know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
Why do you need HTTP? You can send messages to the IP phone using SIP...

WBR, Andrew
--
Andrew Zhilenko
Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

"gabriel smith" <gabrielsmith@nowhere.com> kirjoitti viestissä

> The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
> good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
> address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
> movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
> know of the existence of such phones.

You must be thinking abaut something similar to the French Minitel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

Early CRT terminal:
http://www.bctech.fr/telephonie/telmini1.html

Later model with LCD:
http://www.beotech.co.uk/minitel.htm

--
Petri Krohn
Helsinki Neighborhood Networking Association

Cisco phones gave a menu system that uses XML files served from an HTTP
server.

"gabriel smith" <gabrielsmith@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
> good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
> address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
> movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
> know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
> appreciated.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

gabriel smith wrote:

> The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
> good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
> address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
> movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
> know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
> appreciated.

Intertel makes a very expensive one that does this - the intertel model
8690 phone.

InterTel is a WIndows CE device, any comment on its stability? I use
Windows CE as a PDA and I find it useful, but the battery drench way
too fast, any comment? Thanks
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:09:27 -0500, sean <sean@snerts-r-us.org> wrote:

>gabriel smith wrote:
>
>> The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
>> good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
>> address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
>> movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
>> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
>> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
>> know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
>> appreciated.
>
>Intertel makes a very expensive one that does this - the intertel model
>8690 phone.

The InterTel is a Windows CE device, I am wondering you could comment
on its stability? I use Windows CE as a PDA, I find it useful, my only
problem is that the battery drench very fast. Thanks
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:09:27 -0500, sean <sean@snerts-r-us.org> wrote:

>gabriel smith wrote:
>
>> The usefulness of IP phone such as SNOM for voice service is very
>> good. Since these ip phones are always connected (with a valid IP
>> address) how about using them to deliver information such as stock,
>> movies etc? In my mind, in order to do it, the phone must fit with a
>> reasonable-sized LCD and support HTTP so that information could be
>> written over from the remote servers. I am just wondering whether you
>> know of the existence of such phones. Your comment will be
>> appreciated.
>
>Intertel makes a very expensive one that does this - the intertel model
>8690 phone.

We have used the XML interface on Cisco 7940/7960/7970 phones to
display custom menus, weather reports, outage announcements, etc.
Public information on how to do it is here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Cisco+79XX+XML+Services
If you don't want to write your own code, there are companies like
http://phone-xml.berbee.com/ or http://www.aptigen.net/ that will do
it for a fee.

HTH,

JDB

What other VoIP phones offer the same sort of buttons/menus?