Detecting full RAM slots

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
are presently occupied?

I want to do this without opening the casing.

Thanks,

Richard

------------------------
Toshiba Satellite A10-5WM
4-M CPU 2GHz
496 MB RAM

The System Information component will only tell you how much memory is
installed, not the available slots. However, if you know how much memory is
installed, you can check the model of your laptop at the manufacturer's
website to determine the maximum memory that can be installed on that
computer.

Open Help and Support on the start menu, type System Information in the
Search box and press enter, under "Pick a Task," click get information about
your computer, either "View general system information about this computer"
or "Find information about the hardware installed on this computer will give
you the amount of installed memory. You can also find the amount of
installed memory but opening Control Panel and opening the System applet
which will also tell you how much memory is installed.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Richard C." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
> of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
> are presently occupied?
>
> I want to do this without opening the casing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>
> ------------------------
> Toshiba Satellite A10-5WM
> 4-M CPU 2GHz
> 496 MB RAM

"Richard C." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
> of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
> are presently occupied?
>
> I want to do this without opening the casing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>
> ------------------------
> Toshiba Satellite A10-5WM
> 4-M CPU 2GHz
> 496 MB RAM

EVEREST Home Edition is a freeware system information, system diagnostics
and benchmarking solution for home PC users...

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

"Memory Slots" will be listed under "Motherboard > Chipset."

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Hi, and thanks,

I am always a bit hesitant to install new software because
of the potential problems it can create.

Is there no way for XP to detect the types of RAM
currently installed on my system? I would think most
operating systems can do this without having to install
more software.

Richard

suggestions or
>advice herein.
>No warranty is expressed or implied.
>Your mileage may vary.
>See store for details. :)
>
>Remove shoes to E-mail.
>

>.

The Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/ Provides much more than just the
memory modules. It will provide a complete list hardware components and
programs installed (including version) many with the Software license
numbers, all communicaiton devices a list of Hotfixes applied.

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Hi, and thanks,
>
> I am always a bit hesitant to install new software because
> of the potential problems it can create.
>
> Is there no way for XP to detect the types of RAM
> currently installed on my system? I would think most
> operating systems can do this without having to install
> more software.
>
> Richard

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

1. Check with the manufacturer
2. There should be only one user upgrade slot - accessible on the bottom of
the laptop (well, depends what laptop you have)
3. Download some utility - ex. Lavalis Everest, free - and it will tell you
how many memory bays you have, how many are are occuppied etc.
Michael

Richard C. wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
>of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
>are presently occupied?

get the free Everest Home edition from
http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
which is an excellent general System Info tool, and its Motherboard -
Chipset page, towards the bottom, has Memory slots, with an entry for
each saying how much RAM is installed in it

tonys

Alex Nichol wrote:
: Richard C. wrote:
:
::
:: Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
:: of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
:: are presently occupied?
:
: get the free Everest Home edition from
: http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
: which is an excellent general System Info tool, and its Motherboard -
: Chipset page, towards the bottom, has Memory slots, with an entry for
: each saying how much RAM is installed in it

Belarc Advisor also.
TonyS