Detecting full RAM slots

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
are presently occupied?

I want to do this without opening the casing.

Thanks,

Richard

------------------------
Toshiba Satellite A10-5WM
4-M CPU 2GHz
496 MB RAM
7 answers Last reply
More about detecting full slots

    The System Information component will only tell you how much memory is
    installed, not the available slots. However, if you know how much memory is
    installed, you can check the model of your laptop at the manufacturer's
    website to determine the maximum memory that can be installed on that
    computer.

    Open Help and Support on the start menu, type System Information in the
    Search box and press enter, under "Pick a Task," click get information about
    your computer, either "View general system information about this computer"
    or "Find information about the hardware installed on this computer will give
    you the amount of installed memory. You can also find the amount of
    installed memory but opening Control Panel and opening the System applet
    which will also tell you how much memory is installed.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Richard C." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
    > of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
    > are presently occupied?
    >
    > I want to do this without opening the casing.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > ------------------------
    > Toshiba Satellite A10-5WM
    > 4-M CPU 2GHz
    > 496 MB RAM

    "Richard C." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
    > of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
    > are presently occupied?
    >
    > I want to do this without opening the casing.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > ------------------------
    > Toshiba Satellite A10-5WM
    > 4-M CPU 2GHz
    > 496 MB RAM

    EVEREST Home Edition is a freeware system information, system diagnostics
    and benchmarking solution for home PC users...

    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

    "Memory Slots" will be listed under "Motherboard > Chipset."

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Hi, and thanks,

    I am always a bit hesitant to install new software because
    of the potential problems it can create.

    Is there no way for XP to detect the types of RAM
    currently installed on my system? I would think most
    operating systems can do this without having to install
    more software.

    Richard

    The Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/ Provides much more than just the
    memory modules. It will provide a complete list hardware components and
    programs installed (including version) many with the Software license
    numbers, all communicaiton devices a list of Hotfixes applied.

    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

    > Hi, and thanks,
    >
    > I am always a bit hesitant to install new software because
    > of the potential problems it can create.
    >
    > Is there no way for XP to detect the types of RAM
    > currently installed on my system? I would think most
    > operating systems can do this without having to install
    > more software.
    >
    > Richard

    1. Check with the manufacturer
    2. There should be only one user upgrade slot - accessible on the bottom of
    the laptop (well, depends what laptop you have)
    3. Download some utility - ex. Lavalis Everest, free - and it will tell you
    how many memory bays you have, how many are are occuppied etc.
    Michael

    Richard C. wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
    >of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
    >are presently occupied?

    get the free Everest Home edition from
    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
    which is an excellent general System Info tool, and its Motherboard -
    Chipset page, towards the bottom, has Memory slots, with an entry for
    each saying how much RAM is installed in it

    Alex Nichol wrote:
    : Richard C. wrote:
    :
    ::
    :: Can anyone tell me if there is a way to detect the number
    :: of RAM slots available on my laptop, and the number that
    :: are presently occupied?
    :
    : get the free Everest Home edition from
    : http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
    : which is an excellent general System Info tool, and its Motherboard -
    : Chipset page, towards the bottom, has Memory slots, with an entry for
    : each saying how much RAM is installed in it

    Belarc Advisor also.
    TonyS

Laptops RAM Microsoft Windows XP