Sign in with
Your question

The best upgrade choice

Last response: in CPUs
June 10, 2006 12:11:09 PM

Hi,
From what I've seen this seems to be one good forum to post in.
My rig : (although I'm not sure about calling it a rig :roll: )

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
2 x 512 MB DDR3200 Kingston Value Ram
80 GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.7
XFX Geforce 6600LE 256 MB
Aopen XC cube case (case + motherboard + 300W power supply)

and I'm wondering which one of these is the best upgrade choice :?: :!: :

1. AMD Athlon 64 4000+
2. GIGABYTE Geforce 7600GS + WD Raptor 74 GB
3. CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 2-3-3-6 with Activity LEDs

All the choices cost almost the same but which one do you think will be the best choice, I mainly want to play games like Age Of Empires III, The Sims 2, Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War.
There might be some better choices you'd like to tell me about.

Tell me what you think. :) 

More about : upgrade choice

June 10, 2006 1:40:37 PM

Quote:
Your CPU is fine. Getting a 4000+ will not be an upgrade, it'll be a total waste. Getting a Raptor is a waste also, since there are 7200RPM hard drives that perform better. If you're getting the Raptor at a very good price, then buy it.

My suggestion:
Get 2gb of RAM, and a 7900GT, it'll be a MUCH better upgrade for you.

Thank you for your suggestion but I can't buy a Geforce 7900GT because of power and space constraints from my case that's why I've put 7600GS in my choices.
June 10, 2006 2:46:01 PM

That 6600LE is sticking out like a sore thumb. A graphics card upgrade would be my first step. For your budget, it seems that a 7600GT would offer the best performance. You can pick one up on newegg for $150 after rebate. The performance increase over a 7600GS is substantial. Also, if you aren't overclocking, valueram is going to serve you nearly as well as the more expensive XMS type RAM. For the games you listed, 2gb is probably not immediately necessary. (Of course, much depends on the resolution and texture qualities you are playing at.) If power is or becomes an issue, this is one of the most underpriced quality PSU I've seen in a while. Only $40 shipped for 36A on dual 12V rails. Anyway, video card first.
Related resources
June 10, 2006 4:53:33 PM

Quote:
That 6600LE is sticking out like a sore thumb.
:lol:  You are right.
Thanks, your post is really helpful. But there are few things I'd like to point out:
1. One advantage of the 7600GS I didn't mention is that it has silent cooling, I found some 7600GT with silent cooling but there are reports about them overheating and since I have only two fans installed and would like to keep it this way.
2. I can't put the PS you mentioned because it doesn't fit in my Small Form Factor Case and if I'm to find a more powerful one that'll fit it would cost at least $100.
3. With the 7600GS I can have some more to spend on the Raptor.

But now I'm convinced that a new graphics card is the way to go.
June 10, 2006 5:33:48 PM

this is what i would get. :D 

amd anthlon 3700+
2gb 1gbx2 Pc3200
Nvidia geforce 7600GS

now if you want i would say a ASUS geforce 6800GT i own 1 of them and it played doom maxed out and hl2 maxed out so i know its a good card
June 10, 2006 6:17:36 PM

Yes, Im with Prozac on this one and get an additional 2x512Mb of ram and 7900GT card and you would be good to go.
June 10, 2006 6:38:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, Im with Prozac on this one and get an additional 2x512Mb of ram and 7900GT card and you would be good to go.

But he's saying his power supply wont support a 7600gt.
I wouldnt bother with the raptor, you can get equivelent 7200 drives nearly as fast for much cheaper. Id add memory and go with the 7600gs is thats all you can run.
June 10, 2006 6:57:02 PM

Consider this then:
XFX 7600GS 256MB PCI-Ex16 12Pipe NoFan 500/900MHz $134+6 6/06
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150146
(I assume PCI-E and not AGP).
Forget the raptor.
Forget the CPU.
Forget the bling-bling OC friendly RAM.
Check the performance tab on Windows Task Manager for peak-commit charge. You may not need any extra memory. If you do, value ram will work fine.
This should hold up well until it's time for a new case/psu and the guts to go with it.
June 10, 2006 7:03:23 PM

Quote:

The 7900GT would probably overload his PSU. IMO, you should get the passively cooled 7600GS. 1GB of RAM is plenty for the games that you play, and Raptors aren't worth it. If you're still not satisfied with your performance after you upgrade the graphics card, try disabling whatever background tasks you don't need, or just formatting your HDD and reinstalling Windows.
June 10, 2006 7:08:30 PM

That XMS memory would be an absolute waste of money unless you plan to overclock (not a good idea in a SFF box unless it got some high end cooling and overclocking options in the BIOS to start with), and please, forget about that "Blinkenlichten" crap.

AFAIK, more memory won't help you much with the games that you listed, sure, there is a difference between 1GB and 2GB of RAM but I doubt that the performance delta would be worth the money.

All in all, a video card upgrade would bring the best value bar none.

BTW, do you mind linking to the exact model for that Aopen XC Cube, I'm curious to know what the specs are for the motherboard inside.
June 10, 2006 7:24:02 PM

Quote:

The 7900GT would probably overload his PSU. IMO, you should get the passively cooled 7600GS. 1GB of RAM is plenty for the games that you play, and Raptors aren't worth it. If you're still not satisfied with your performance after you upgrade the graphics card, try disabling whatever background tasks you don't need, or just formatting your HDD and reinstalling Windows.

But if he's willing to invest this much, why not just upgrade the PS and get more graphics power? Why not get an inexpensive case that cools better? Those two should be available for less than a 4000 CPU.
June 10, 2006 7:25:23 PM

Yeah you're right, so he should get a decent and powerful psu to start this mod then. Im sure there's a psu for him that doesn't put a hole in his budget as well. :D 
June 10, 2006 8:18:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah you're right, so he should get a decent and powerful psu to start this mod then. Im sure there's a psu for him that doesn't put a hole in his budget as well. :D 

Did you retire from modeling?
June 10, 2006 8:34:25 PM

Why don't you just tell him to buy a new keyboard?
June 10, 2006 9:16:49 PM

Quote:
I found some 7600GT with silent cooling but there are reports about them overheating and since I have only two fans installed and would like to keep it this way

Saw a review of the gigabyte 7600GT with silent cooling and it was actually COOLER than the stock fan ...

EDIT:

if you go to this link ---> http://hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1908&cid=3...

It actually says the Gigabyte 7600GT DOES overheat but the Asus Silent card is bought the same as stock cooler. Sorry for previous info but I swear I saw a review saying it was better than stock cooling :(  Again sorry for confusion.
June 11, 2006 4:25:36 AM

Quote:
Why don't you just tell him to buy a new keyboard?
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
I hoped some one would say "take choice no. X" and that's it, but I think I know what's the best now.

Thank you all for your opinions. :) 

SidVicious asked for a link to my Aopen XC cube and here it is
http://xc.aopen.com.tw/Cube-m-specification%20.aspx?Auno=46&mdstyl=25

And as for sprite's recommendation, that card won't fit because it uses two PCI slots and I don't have that. But thanks anyway sprite. :wink:
June 11, 2006 6:56:11 AM

If the specs on the link you provided me are right, the best way to go would be a PCI-E video card (220mm max lenght), just go for the best one the PSU can cope with.

Beside, unless you have something plugged in the PCI slot next to the PCI-E one, it should be possible to mount a 2 slot wide card in there.
!