Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Jane Unboxes the Microsoft Surface RT Tablet, Accessories

Last response: in News comments
October 28, 2012 10:17:06 PM

Jane, you can be a witch any day ;) 
October 28, 2012 10:18:35 PM

or a police officer, a french maid....anything you want :) 
Related resources
October 28, 2012 10:24:42 PM

dormantreign said:
or a police officer, a french maid....anything you want :) 

Lol, french maid sounds good. :D 

Anyway, device looks awesome; can't wait for full review.
October 28, 2012 10:29:51 PM

Thinking about getting one come tax time. The device, that is. :p 
October 28, 2012 10:41:47 PM

Hawt! The tablet isn't bad either. ;) 
October 28, 2012 10:44:21 PM

Gotta say the tablet just LOOKS nice and the touch/type cover was a great idea to implement. Can't wait for the review.
October 28, 2012 10:54:49 PM

type cover sounds good to me ;) 
October 28, 2012 11:02:59 PM

Looks good of a device.
The whole unboxing video could use some polish. I've seen well done videos on Android Central, xda-Developers and other sites. Could use some inspiration from there. Esp. the audio quality (non-existent).

Thanks for the video, this is the first that I get to see of this Surface thing. Might get one.
October 28, 2012 11:21:39 PM

I'm dying for the Pro version. The one thing I hated about my iPad was that I couldn't even take notes on it - the Surface gives me that, and has even made it better with the proximity-aware stylus.
October 28, 2012 11:24:17 PM

How aboooot that Canadian accent ehh?
Anonymous
October 28, 2012 11:26:52 PM

Is that like a complete rip-off of how Apple packages their stuff - except in black?
October 28, 2012 11:39:06 PM

I want one of that, including the witch.
October 28, 2012 11:51:10 PM

Looking good.
October 29, 2012 12:03:01 AM

Whats up with all the youtube like comments, some sound like a lot of 9th grade AV club guys that never seen a female talk to them before...ignoring the device, context of the video, or the subject matter..and just going "ohhh a female...'drool'.
October 29, 2012 12:49:10 AM

dxwarlockWhats up with all the youtube like comments, some sound like a lot of 9th grade AV club guys that never seen a female talk to them before...ignoring the device, context of the video, or the subject matter..and just going "ohhh a female...'drool'.

I am so tempted to delete them all, right after I tell her how cute her hat is :p .
October 29, 2012 1:21:59 AM

dxwarlockWhats up with all the youtube like comments, some sound like a lot of 9th grade AV club guys that never seen a female talk to them before...ignoring the device, context of the video, or the subject matter..and just going "ohhh a female...'drool'.
Have a drink, chill out. I've yammered on about the Surface quite a bit, Jane in a witch costume is one hell of a nice change of pace. Besides, she's a good sport, from what I've seen. She's probably used to us by now haha...

Anyway, I liked being able to see the kickstand and keypad in action by a regular person, and I didn't know they had an first-party VGA adapter available. Thanks Jane.
October 29, 2012 1:24:34 AM

amdfangirlI am so tempted to delete them all, right after I tell her how cute her hat is .
Unfair! Stingy! :D 
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 1:59:00 AM

Great start you guys. I bet she's just dying to meetup dressed as a french maid....
October 29, 2012 2:33:14 AM

Jane Unboxes.. good start for a title :-)
October 29, 2012 3:06:07 AM

Great video guys!
October 29, 2012 3:24:06 AM

Not a fan of Windows RT, but give me a surface pro with an A-10 APU and I'm sold.
A keyboard dock with a hard drive and extra battery+connectivity would be great too.
October 29, 2012 4:16:14 AM

dormantreignor a police officer, a french maid....anything you want

School girl!

Nice review, though. :) 
October 29, 2012 4:22:28 AM

Wait, what the hell???? Jane's young and hot? Always thought she was some old crone.
October 29, 2012 4:54:57 AM

I just saw a 4 and a half minute video and then i realized that my ears weren't functioning. Did that happen to any you too?
October 29, 2012 5:35:56 AM

Nice work Jane.

Happy Halloween to all our US friends !!

:) 
October 29, 2012 5:51:05 AM

reynodNice work Jane.Happy Halloween to all our US friends !!

All for the candy. ;) 
October 29, 2012 5:54:34 AM

Wait! What?! There was a tablet there?
October 29, 2012 6:59:37 AM

my only complaint is that the kickstand is required to keep the screen up when attached to a keyboard. would be nice if the keyboard could prop it up somehow like a real laptop

otherwise, very sleek
October 29, 2012 7:35:16 AM

I was expecting one of those sexy girls that Toms hardware used before. hehe.

Right after buying one of these, I stopped by an Apple store because I wanted to see the new MBP13. One of the "Genius" asked me if he can take a peek at the box, so I showed him and he said "MS now copies the boxes of iPad!". I lost my words and just smiled and didn't speak further. It's funny how some of these people think Apple invented everything.

Anyways, I'm on day 3 now with Surface RT, it's very nice. Office 2013 is updated and no longer a preview release. I can type fast without Word lagging on me, and the keyboard feels good too. Battery life, build quality is very good too. Kick stand was something I never imagined would be a benefit, but once I started using it, it is one of the best things to happen to a tablet.
One thing not good is the slow web page load time, especially sites like engadget.com takes a long time to fully load. It's kind of like using a Atom netbook. Probably due to slow Nvidia Tegra processor.
Other than that, it's very responsive overall, the start menu and switching between apps is butter smooth. If the price had been more competitive, I think it would have been the end of Android tablets.
October 29, 2012 10:34:42 AM

Still waiting for mine. Funny I think, it's the only tablet I've even been half interested in
October 29, 2012 10:47:09 AM

Good video, Jane was nice and i learned about the accessories, wasn't aware of them before.
October 29, 2012 12:10:54 PM

Interesting accent. I can't place it. Almost a quazi Canadian/Scott accent whenever she says 'Cover'...

October 29, 2012 12:21:02 PM

What is it with all these 'unboxing' videos lately. When did that become fashionable?

And if you want to 'unbox' something here, I sure would not unbox the tablet... sorry, had to be said :-)
October 29, 2012 12:27:22 PM

Hmmm...Anand didn't really like the touch cover.

And Jane, did the VGA adapter come boxed with the Surface? I know they have some "HD Video Connector" which is sold separately...so what's this? Is the HD out port proprietary or mini/micro HDMI?
October 29, 2012 12:38:35 PM

jacobdrj said:
Interesting accent. I can't place it. Almost a quazi Canadian/Scott accent whenever she says 'Cover'...

i dont hear canadian at all. i hear irish/english (england.)
October 29, 2012 12:38:41 PM

freggoWhat is it with all these 'unboxing' videos lately. When did that become fashionable?And if you want to 'unbox' something here, I sure would not unbox the tablet... sorry, had to be said :-)

I was gonna ask the same question...
But since some companies (such as fruit distributors) made the purchase of high profile gadgets an 'experience', it became fashionable...
October 29, 2012 1:04:25 PM

what is the VGA adapter for? what is the HDMI for?? A new use>?
Why is HDMI so short?
October 29, 2012 1:32:12 PM

amallicawhat is the VGA adapter for? what is the HDMI for?? A new use>? Why is HDMI so short?

VGA you can connect the Surface to projectors or monitors. You can use the HDMI for hdtvs or monitors/projectors that are compatible. On the mainsite they're listed as being as 12.69 (for vga) and 11.27 inches (hdmi)
October 29, 2012 1:50:26 PM

Nice review, wasn't aware of the accessories you could buy. From the commercials, i only took that it would make school girls crunk dance -_- (poor use of commercial imho). I'm actually kinda excited about W8 as a tablet but waiting for Pro. Def gonna get the feedback KB for extra battery time :)  Oh and happy Halloween to you Jane and res of TH guy and gals! If your in NY, stay safe!
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 2:17:11 PM

would just like to add to bluue's answer:
The surface RT tablet comes with a micro-hdmi port. the accessories sold (the HDMI adapter and the VGA adapter that were shown) will plug into this micro-hdmi port and give a full sized VGA or HDMI port to connect the normal cable to.
October 29, 2012 2:23:51 PM

The Idea of the magnetic keyboard dock is a good idea, not sure about the keyboards with no haptic feedback. Think I would stick with the nice black on Jane Docked to the tablet as it looks much better.
October 29, 2012 2:29:50 PM

neon neophytemy only complaint is that the kickstand is required to keep the screen up when attached to a keyboard. would be nice if the keyboard could prop it up somehow like a real laptopotherwise, very sleek

I thought that was interesting as well, but consider how much heavier the tablet is compared to the touch or type cover. I don't think that would be possible without making the covers heavy.
October 29, 2012 2:35:09 PM

weaselmanThe Idea of the magnetic keyboard dock is a good idea, not sure about the keyboards with no haptic feedback. Think I would stick with the nice black on Jane Docked to the tablet as it looks much better.

I'd definitely look at the type cover, which has actual keys.
October 29, 2012 4:05:57 PM

jacobdrjInteresting accent. I can't place it. Almost a quazi Canadian/Scott accent whenever she says 'Cover'...

If memory serves me correctly Jane is Dublin Born Irish... ;-)
October 29, 2012 4:40:07 PM

bystander said:
I thought that was interesting as well, but consider how much heavier the tablet is compared to the touch or type cover. I don't think that would be possible without making the covers heavy.

i see your point, and i agree. even still, i dont like it.
if possibe you could put all weight at the front of the keyboard, it would minimize the amount of weight required.
October 29, 2012 5:33:16 PM

Jane's my kind of girl. Bet she is a born Guiness girl.
October 30, 2012 12:37:37 AM

neon neophytei see your point, and i agree. even still, i dont like it.if possibe you could put all weight at the front of the keyboard, it would minimize the amount of weight required.
Scar89Not a fan of Windows RT, but give me a surface pro with an A-10 APU and I'm sold.A keyboard dock with a hard drive and extra battery+connectivity would be great too.
The touch and type covers for the Surface are... covers. That's why they remain thin and light, and don't support the tablet itself. They fold over the screen and protect it, and it's easy to carry it around like that with the cover closed. A heavy, hinged keyboard dock won't do that. So it was an intentional design choice.

However, if you prefer the more traditional keyboard dock, you might want to check out Asus' Vivo Tab RT. It does exactly what you're looking for. It's a bit bulkier and doesn't double as a cover... but it DOES have a second battery in the keyboard dock which nearly doubles battery life. Pretty neat.
spookymanJane's my kind of girl. Bet she is a born Guiness girl.
Well, if she prefers stouts, there's also Porterhouse. But I've been told lagers are popular in Ireland nowadays. Actually I think Porterhouse makes lagers too. I'm only a quarter Irish but I do like a good Irish stout. Of course I enjoy certain domestics too, as well as wines and liquor. Gotta diversify your portfolio and all that.
November 1, 2012 7:53:17 PM

Aw, thanks everyone! You guys are too kind. :) 
November 7, 2012 6:39:55 AM

dimar said:
Jane Unboxes.. good start for a title :-)
When I was looking at the article title I remembered Jane Strips Down StarCraft II Collector's Edition. I remember how some forumers were pointing that out and how they only saw those words. Hehe...

(Don't mean to be offensive Jane. Sorry. Hehe... Great work BTW! I hope you can convince other TH people to do things like these to diversify the media we see in articles even more. :)  I'd like to see Chris, Don, and others in their articles! Hehe...)

!