[HELP] Several Questions on Video

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I didn't want to create one thread for each question.. so i decided to ask them all at a once. hope u don't mind.

1. I only know the max power output of the PCIE 16x is 75watts may i know what is the maximum power output of the AGP8x, PCIE 4x and PCIE 1x?

2. From several review websites the Peak 3D power consumption of the 7900GT is 50+ watt; if so why does the card have a external power connector? 75watt from the PCIE 16x should be enough to power it right?
Besides the 7900GT there also many other cards that consume way less than 75watt and yet have a extra power connector. Can i not connect the cable? will the card work?

3. Which is better? 7900GT SLI or a single 7900GTX?

4. Some LCDs have Brightness of up to 500 cd/m2. I hate bright things. Will a 250cd/m2 LCD monitor be any worst than a 500 cd/m2 besides the level of brightness adjustable?

5. Whats Contrast Ratio?

I really need to know the answers for all of the above qn asap.
Plz answer in order if possible.. Thanks a billion!

I didn't want to create one thread for each question.. so i decided to ask them all at a once. hope u don't mind.

1. I only know the max power output of the PCIE 16x is 75watts may i know what is the maximum power output of the AGP8x,

Normal AGP 8X is 30W, AGP-Pro is 50W and AGP-Pro-110 is 110W.

PCIE 4x and PCIE 1x?

Dunn but it's likely much smaller like 5-10W.

Check with PCI-SIG for the specs.

2. From several review websites the Peak 3D power consumption of the 7900GT is 50+ watt; if so why does the card have a external power connector? 75watt from the PCIE 16x should be enough to power it right?

IT could be but it's very close to the edge already, and many people (and companies) overclock, getting it closer to the 85+ of the GTX.

Besides the 7900GT there also many other cards that consume way less than 75watt and yet have a extra power connector. Can i not connect the cable? will the card work?

USually it will not function without the cable and will give you an error message at bootup.

3. Which is better? 7900GT SLI or a single 7900GTX?

Better at what?
Price a single GTX, overall performance a single GTX, specific games specific performance GT-SLi.
All depends.

4. Some LCDs have Brightness of up to 500 cd/m2. I hate bright things. Will a 250cd/m2 LCD monitor be any worst than a 500 cd/m2 besides the level of brightness adjustable?

Usually lower brightness is an older monitor, and usually having lower brightness is an indication of lower response monitors. It's better to get a higher brightness monitor and turn it down.

5. Whats Contrast Ratio?

Basically the difference between the whitest white and blackest black. Check Wiki for more info.

I really need to know the answers for all of the above qn asap.
Plz answer in order if possible.. Thanks a billion!

No problem, but also check Wiki and google.