"All About Socket F"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Just why the heck the Socket F is delayed
...The first problem is the sockets themselves. We hear that Foxconn can't make them fast enough, in fact they pretty much can't make them at all. Conspiracy theorists out there tell me that Intel threatened them, but I can't get anyone to confirm that so it stays a conspiracy. Either way, AMP is supposedly coming online very soon, and that will ease supply concerns.

Socket F Servers and Motherboards Shown at Computex
Motherboard and server manufacturers have been showing off new motherboards and servers designed for the new AMD socket F architecture at Computex. AMD socket F processors are based on an LGA-1207 socket design and uses DDR2 memory. Socket F processors are the replacement for previous Socket 940 Opteron. This time around AMD has no intention of releasing single processor Opteron 1xx series for socket F, instead socket F will only be used for two and four-way systems.

Nvidia's nForce Pro 3600, 3050 Info
NVIDIA has begun disclosing information to its partners on the upcoming nForce Pro 3600 and nForce Pro 3050 chipsets. These new chipsets, based on MCP55, will act as the chipsets of choice for AMD's Opteron Socket F. nForce Pro 3600 is the stand alone core logic and nForce Pro 3050 is the additional I/O controller -- similar to nForce Pro 2200 and nForce Pro 2050.

Revision F Opteron uses DDR2 memory and the upcoming LGA-1207 socket. The platform, scheduled for launch on July 11, will enable AMD to develop quad-core Revision G processors next year.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
AMD is set introduce Next-Generation AMD Opteron processors on August 1st, 2006. The Next-Generation AMD Opteron processors were previously known as AMD Opteron revision F CPUs. Following the release of socket AM2 processors the Next-Generation AMD Opteron comes in a new socket -- Socket F. Socket F sports 1,207 pins in a land-grid array similar to Intel’s LGA775 and LGA771 sockets. The new Socket F will be used for dual, quad and eight way processor configurations with up to 16 cores at launch.

...Socket F AMD Opteron processors add support for DDR2 and AMD Virtualization. DDR2 with speeds up to 667MHz is supported while the AM2 Athlon 64 X2 and FX chips support DDR2 800MHz. FB-DIMM memory will not initially be supported by Socket F processors. AMD intends to add FB-DIMM support to its processors in the 2008 with the K8L architecture -- nearly two years after Intel launched support. Upcoming revision "G" quad-core processors will also support the Socket F. Previous features such as the integrated memory controller, HyperTransport Technology and AMD64 Execution will continue to be standard features on Socket F processor. With a new socket comes a new naming system too.

"Next-Generation AMD Opteron Details Revealed"

1882_large_optyF.png

1883_large_optyF2.png

1884_large_optyF3.png

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Damn, whoever was being interviewed sure fired a cheap shot at Intel. Oh well, let's hope Opteron's worth the wait. Woodcrest is looking pretty good, but maybe AMD has something up its sleeve... better be something pretty incredible. Also, just checking, there'll be another generation of Opterons released before Socket F right? Since it said something about the new Opteron 1xxx series being for AM2.

...wait.

DAILYTECH LINK? HERE? BLASPHEMY!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Revision F Opteron uses DDR2 memory and the upcoming LGA-1207 socket. The platform, scheduled for launch on July 11, will enable AMD to develop quad-core Revision G processors next year.

Next gen Opterons are out in a few weeks? I'm not staying in touch, obviously. Does this mean the 165 will go on sale soon?

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Also, just checking, there'll be another generation of Opterons released before Socket F right? Since it said something about the new Opteron 1xxx series being for AM2.

They'll have one more release of New Opterons before/after Socket-F just for sake of not killing too soon s940 since there're many clients/users who would like to upgrade just the processor and not the whole system, but if you want to be future-proof then go all the way with Socket-F (K8L anyone ?). :wink:

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Also, just checking, there'll be another generation of Opterons released before Socket F right? Since it said something about the new Opteron 1xxx series being for AM2.

They'll have one more release of New Opterons before/after Socket-F just for sake of not killing too soon s940 since they're many clients/users who would like to upgrade just the processor and not the whole system, but if you want to be future-proof then go all the way with Socket-F (K8L anyone ?). :wink:

Future proof till they change sockets you mean?

LGA 775 came out around the same year as the original AMD64 on socket 754, 775 has seemed to outlast them both.

With Intel of course chipset is teh main concern and i guess we can hope the the current generation of 975,965,946 lasts us a long time, it already has support for quad core cpus from intel, and given that even the 865 has unofficial dual core support, i hope they can keep future cpus compatible with the socket and chipset.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
A LOT OF new Socket F (1207) info just popped up on the Coolaler forums. In addition to showing the new Rev F Opterons running at 2.8GHz give a slight speed boost over their Rev E brethren, someone posted the nomenclature marketing sheet.
It adds a bit to the new naming we told you about in March, but I don't think it tells the complete story. Briefly, the new chip numbers go XYZZ, where X is the number of sockets, IE 1, 2, or 8, and Y is the generation of processor, or so they say. In this case it is 2. ZZ is the speed bump, starting at 10 and going up by 2s.

What gets me is how they are going to differentiate between two and four core models. Will quad cores be X4ZZ, or will they do an obfuscatory naming thing and pick an arbitrary ZZ starting point for the new ones? I am betting on them using four, personally. µ

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32682

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I don't know what 940 chips will be out, but just like there are 939 Opterons now, there will be AM2 Opterons as well as socket F ones. Like the 939's the AM2 Opterons will be single socket, but it looks like they will also be available for dual socket "4x4" boards as well. Dual, Quad, and eight socket, socket F's boards will be available at or near launch. AMD will be supporting socket 940 for a while though, they can't afford not to and are obligated to.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I don't know what 940 chips will be out, but just like there are 939 Opterons now, there will be AM2 Opterons as well as socket F ones. Like the 939's the AM2 Opterons will be single socket, but it looks like they will also be available for dual socket "4x4" boards as well. Dual, Quad, and eight socket, socket F's boards will be available at or near launch. AMD will be supporting socket 940 for a while though, they can't afford not to and are obligated to.

You got that right becasue there are many enterprises using lots of S-940 Opteron servers, but anyhow if you want to have the best of the best you have to shift to socket-F. S-940 won't support quad-core and DDR-2 is becoming cheaper than DDR-1.

I do hope AMD to do this shift wisely without screwing anyone. :wink:

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Advanced Micro Devices plans to announce its next-generation Opteron server processor on Aug. 1, according to channel sources familiar with AMD's plans.

The dual-core Opteron chip, often referred to as "Revision F" or "Socket F," will support DDR2 memory for the first time, Sunnyvale, Calif.-based AMD has said. Sources familiar with the chip maker's plans said the processor and its socket will be positioned as upgradable to quad-core when available. AMD has said publicly it will release quad-core in the first half of next year.

www.crn.com

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
AMD's Rev F Opteron Numbers Get 10x Boost

...Currently, there are three classes of Opterons: the 100 series for single-processor computers, the 200 series for dual-processor models, and the 800 series for machines with four or more. But new model numbers will be larger by an order of magnitude, according to Scott Tease, worldwide product manager for IBM's BladeCenter servers, who spoke after IBM announced a full family of Opteron servers on Tuesday.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
IBM 1207 Pin AMD Opterons Shown In All Their Glory

IBM announced five new servers earlier this week which we reported here, but details were not really discussed in the press release due to the unannounced Socket 1207 Opteron parts.

IBM, HP, and Sun however were showing off their "future" unannounced products at Siggraph this week in the AMD booth. SUN and HP didn’t seem too keen on me snapping photos of their wares, but I was able to pick up some nice photos of two new IBM 1U rack and blade servers...

mpjesse

Splendid

IBM announced five new servers earlier this week which we reported here, but details were not really discussed in the press release due to the unannounced Socket 1207 Opteron parts.

IBM, HP, and Sun however were showing off their "future" unannounced products at Siggraph this week in the AMD booth. SUN and HP didn’t seem too keen on me snapping photos of their wares, but I was able to pick up some nice photos of two new IBM 1U rack and blade servers...

Holy shite those blades are small!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Holy shite those blades are small!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing.

You haven't seen many 1U servers have you?

xen

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Socket F has minimal performance increases... along the same lines as AM2. I don't know what we are supposed to get out of a DP server benchmark 9nm...