Sign in with
Your question

Factory overclocked cards VS personal overclocked cards

Last response: in Overclocking
June 10, 2006 3:06:12 PM

Many factory overclocked cards claim to be more stable. Is it true?
Are factory overclocked cards actually better than cards we overclock ourselves? If so, why?

I will gladly pay more for factory overclocked cards becuz i'm a complete noob in overclocking. ><
June 10, 2006 4:00:10 PM

The main difference is that with a factory OC card, you get at least some type of warranty as long as you don't overclock it MORE than the manufacturer did. Some warranties are quite long. When you overclock yourself, it voids the warranty. I don't know if you care about that sort of thing.

I do know that manufacturer supplied board CAN have problems. If you do have problems you can usually get a new board because of the warranty. Check out this link.

Overclocking a video card is pretty easy. There are a number of guides out there on the internet. Just search for one or check out this link. It doesn't require tinkering with your BIOS, which is required for CPU overclocks.

Manufacturers can make a number of changes to the board besides changing GPU and memory clock speeds. Many times, a different cooler is used than the reference design. Sometimes the only thing they change is GPU and memory clock speeds. If this is the case, you can reproduce their results by overclocking the reference board to the same level they did.
June 10, 2006 4:34:37 PM

Here are some things to consider:

1) ATI and nVidia both make graphics processors. ATI also makes some boards. The cards with boards made by ATI are branded as ATI cards. nVidia doesn't make their own boards; they just sell their GPUs to companies that make the boards. The cards are then branded with the name of the boards manufacturer.

2) As far as I know, ATI doesn't factory overclock any of its cards. Neither do its partners (read: board makers). If any of them do overclock the cards, they're very small overclocks.

3) Most of nVidia's partners overclock their cards to some extent. eVGA and XFX tend to overclock their cards higher than BFG. Look here to see what I mean. That's a page on newegg showing all the 7900GT cards that they have for purchase. Surprisingly, the second-cheapest card comes with a pretty high factory overclock. Just shop around for whatever card you want, and get the one with the best price/performance ratio.

4) If you're an overclocking noob, buy a factory overclocked card because they put a warranty on the overclock, and they will replace the card if it fries.

If you need me to clarify anything that I said, don't hesitate to ask.
Related resources
June 10, 2006 4:58:47 PM

Are there any more advantages to Factory overclocked cards besides the warranty it provides??

I heard that Preoverclocked cards are more stable because the BIOS is modified, and in many cases, the power circuitry is aksi modified so it could feed more voltage to GPU or RAM.

Is it true?
June 10, 2006 5:50:18 PM

Quote:
Are there any more advantages to Factory overclocked cards besides the warranty it provides??

I heard that Preoverclocked cards are more stable because the BIOS is modified, and in many cases, the power circuitry is aksi modified so it could feed more voltage to GPU or RAM.

Is it true?

It sounds reasonable. The companies probably also put better cooling on the card.
June 10, 2006 5:57:55 PM

Quote:

Is it true?

In the majority of the cases, no. They might get better cooling and memory chips, though.
They are also tested. They are capable of their stated oc, some normal cards can't reach that speed.
However, you have to pay much more for it.
June 10, 2006 6:07:12 PM

Quote:

Is it true?

In the majority of the cases, no. They might get better cooling and memory chips, though.
They are also tested. They are capable of their stated oc, some normal cards can't reach that speed.
However, you have to pay much more for it.
No, you don't. Just look here. The cheapest 7600GT is factory overclocked by eVGA.
June 10, 2006 6:28:08 PM

I don't know the main difference other than it is overclocked but then again it is also covered by the warranty but then again if you overclocked the none-factory overclocked the manufacturer wouldn't know about it so get the cheapest one you can buy and overclock it like theres no tommorow, if it's unstable then return it and get another brand/model.
June 10, 2006 6:54:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know the main difference other than it is overclocked but then again it is also covered by the warranty but then again if you overclocked the none-factory overclocked the manufacturer wouldn't know about it so get the cheapest one you can buy and overclock it like theres no tommorow, if it's unstable then return it and get another brand/model.

If you RMA the card, the manufacturers might have a way of knowing that you've overclocked the card. Plus, you're not guaranteed to get a card that overclocks well. With a factory OC, you get a warranty, and a guarantee that the card is capable of whatever speed they claim. Plus, you might get better VRAM and better cooling.
June 10, 2006 7:22:34 PM

Honestly my main question has not been answered yet:
Is a factory overclocked card more stable then a self overclock card?

If possible answer Y/N. I really want to know.
June 10, 2006 7:45:42 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is because it will have better cooling, and it will probably be factory tested at that frequency.
June 10, 2006 7:48:31 PM

Quote:

No.

In fact if you are buying a new top line ATI/NV you may as well buy the cheepest one...they will still put out more fps than the human eye can see vrs the factory OC'd card even if it could do 10 times the fps.
The same holds true for sgl vs dual gfx cards.

As to warrentys,a software OC will not void any of them,burning the bios or a volt mod will.

The best warrenty is from XFX....they don't care who-when it was bought or resold to....they just fix it.

Z
June 10, 2006 7:55:28 PM

Quote:
In fact if you are buying a new top line ATI/NV you may as well buy the cheepest one...they will still put out more fps than the human eye can see vrs the factory OC'd card even if it could do 10 times the fps.
So you're saying buy the cheapest card because it can play all games right now, even if it can't two months down the road?
June 10, 2006 8:19:28 PM

Quote:
So you're saying buy the cheapest card because it can play all games right now, even if it can't two months down the road?He's saying to buy the cheapest top-of-the-line card because the more expensive ones aren't that much faster.
June 10, 2006 8:32:47 PM

I have a 7800gt OC card from EVGA and i noticed that I cant overclock it higher than the factory overclock for some reason. So i guess if you just want a standard overclock of say 50-70mhz then factory would be better because of the warranty. If you are going to overclock an nvidia card go with xfx because of their lifetime warranty. Ati i have no clue who to go with. You may be able to yield higher results on manual overclocking. Which way you choose just depends on your preference.
June 10, 2006 10:07:38 PM

eh... i should have created a poll with only 2 options: Yes or No.
June 10, 2006 10:34:07 PM

But he said "they will still put out more fps than the human eye can see vrs the factory OC'd card even if it could do 10 times the fps." Well who cares if it is currently capable of rendering more frames per second than the human eye is capable of seeing? It won't be that way for ever in the gaming world.
June 11, 2006 12:45:13 AM

I find it difficult to answer your question as yes or no...probably because my system does have a eVGA 7600GT CO (factory overclock) and the system does have some stability issues...BUT I can't directly trace the instability to the video card yet.

The instability is more likely due to running my CPU for 45mins at 88C (didn't notice a slight heatsink mounting problem at the time >.< )

Overall though my 7600GT CO has impressed me. I would say you should have no problems, I would definitely buy another factory overclocked card.
June 11, 2006 2:21:06 AM

Quote:
The instability is more likely due to running my CPU for 45mins at 88C
At 88C, you're lucky to still have a CPU, let alone one that works. Is it an A64 or a P4?
June 11, 2006 2:29:26 AM

Is an Althon 64 3200+ Winchester core. I agree, I was SOOOOO relieved when I installed the heatsink correctly and it fired right up again. (Had to file off some plastic posts holding the HS clips up too far, wouldn't let the HS touch the CPU)

AMD sure makes a tough little processor!
June 12, 2006 1:27:07 AM

No Factory set cards are not more stable.

Why bother for the waranty ?

If you soft mod it and d'ont flash the bios they will never know you overclocked the card, so it will still pass on waranty if you fried it...

The only limit of a card is when you get artifacts or lockups.

No cards are alike for overclocking Some factory o/c card still have room to push them farther.
June 14, 2006 3:52:48 PM

I would say no it's not more stable, it's the same.
You will be sure with a factory overclocked card that you will get those speeds.
Anyway, the OC you can buy are never big %.

Get the cheapest High-end card and put a new cooling on it and OC it.
After that it's gonna be your baby and after all.... It's fun to read about OC and then get great results :) 
my 2 cents
June 15, 2006 3:12:13 AM

I agree with the wuss...The specs of the card GPU and Memory are exactly the same.... why get a factory oc? You pay more and you can have the pleasure of OCing it yourself!

Another thing... all the 7900GTs out there ALL have the same Nvida recomended stock style HSF!

Gone are the days of 6800 ultras with an extra 600 grams of copper (leadtek is a good example).

So its not like XFX or BFG have gone to a great deal of trouble to oc your card! Yet they are charging you more for it...

If your are a newb go get an XFX if not save your money and oc a 7900GT
!