hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Just bought the GX2 and am having problems. My video device driver is causing stop errors and my computer keeps rebooting.

Specifically, the error reads:

STOP 0x000000EA Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver

I've followed the instructions to fix this: 1) get newest video driver for card; 2) manually lower hardware acceleration.

I've gone through every video driver available, to no avail. Also, started lowering hardware acceleration and now the computer doesn't reboot, but my games won't even start.

Anybody else have a similar problem that they solved? If I can't get this fix, I guess I'll just return the card, pay the restocking fee, and stick with my older 7800 GTX.

P.S.: I have an Intel BOXD955XBKLKR 955XE mobo, that I had to update the BIOS in order to get a video signal from the GX2 card in the first place.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I can't say that I'm surprised, that's the kind of problems early adopters usually run into.

Is your OS fully updated and patched and have you installed the latest drivers for your motherboard ?

It would'nt be a bad idea to reinstall DirectX as well.

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Updated motherboard with newest BIOS version and tried all the newest video drivers, including 91.31 which adds support for the 7950 GX2 and still have the stop error problems and rebooting of computer every time I tried to load up a game.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Do you still have the 7800GTX? If so, keep the 7800GTX in your system until new drivers come, unless you're really want your money back as soon as possible.

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Still running my 7800 GTX until issues are resolved with the 7950. I have been talking with tech support at XFX and possibly making some headway. The card shipped with 91.27 drivers and they didn't work . . . I also downloaded the newest drivers (91.31) and they didn't work either.

XFX tech guy pointed me to where they (XFX) had a download of 91.29, which I haven't seen anywhere, and told me to use these. I will try them tonite and . . . wish me luck.

hball

lifelost1

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Could it be a problem with the card and not the drivers? I got the same error with my 7900gt that had bad memory on the card. And as soon as I got a new one everything was fixed.

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I am currently waiting for info back from Nvidia on this problem. They were able to recreate the error, but haven't got a fix for it yet.

Anybody else having this problem, go ahead and PM me. I'll reply to let you know I got the message and will pass on the fix as soon as I get it. Failing to get a fix, I'll notify you also.

hball

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Just bought the GX2 and am having problems. My video device driver is causing stop errors and my computer keeps rebooting.

Specifically, the error reads:

STOP 0x000000EA Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver

I've followed the instructions to fix this: 1) get newest video driver for card; 2) manually lower hardware acceleration.

I've gone through every video driver available, to no avail. Also, started lowering hardware acceleration and now the computer doesn't reboot, but my games won't even start.

Anybody else have a similar problem that they solved? If I can't get this fix, I guess I'll just return the card, pay the restocking fee, and stick with my older 7800 GTX.

P.S.: I have an Intel BOXD955XBKLKR 955XE mobo, that I had to update the BIOS in order to get a video signal from the GX2 card in the first place.

Try the brand spankin' new driver dude: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.31.html

Get it while it's hot!

alcor

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I have the same problems with an Gainward 7950GX2 running on an Intel D955XBKLKR board.
I installed the WHQL 91.31 driver released yesterday but this does not solve the problem (the computer keeps restarting when I acces some programs or the net)
If you find solution please send me PM

alcor

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Have you checked the mobo compatability chart that shows the known mobo support and BIOS version. Some BIOS updates can also require additional updates prior to the actual flash.

I have succusfully ran the XFX 7950x2 on an Asus A8N SLI, Asus A8n32 SLI and the Asus P5N32

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I think you are gonna find that it's a BIOS issue more than an issue with the card drivers.

As soon as I installed the card I saw several "new found new hardware" messages that I had not seen before related to PCI bridge connectors and PCI links.

I do not recall any of my SLI setups displaying those same messages.

I have an extra Asus A8N32 just sitting around though if you need a new board. ;o)

jjstraus6

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
You're right, I have a P5WD2 Prem mobo and the ASUS website only have one bios listed for it, but my mobo cd has an older one, so I downgraded by to the old bios since I noticed that the bioses on the nVidia page for the listed compatible mobo's weren't the newest, and now the instability is gone, though its telling me that one of my vid cards (The 7950GX2 appears as two vid cards in device manager) doesn't have enough resources to run? Now is that an IRQ conflict or something else?

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
If you have already done this, I just wana cover all the easy stuff first.

Now that you have updated your BIOS it's a good idea to go in and uninstall the 7950 x2 and reinstall it.

It's kinda like when you add another card to a standard sli setup, u have to install the drivers again for the second card.

Before you updated your BIOS your system probably only saw one card, now that you have updated the BIOS it sees the other.

BIOS update, uninstall vid card (not physically, just in Device manager), reinstall the 7950 drivers.....then run 3dmark06 ;o)

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I see problems wth this card and creative X-Fi in some Intel boards because of IRQ conflits,see in BIOS the shared irq and try to give one only for graphics card.
And: this card needs SLI boards to run. I test it in a VIA 880 board and can't make it run.
Ifyou have the 7800. use it to: upgrade bios,clean drivers (use software to remove all nvidia files) install microsoft vga driver and then uninstall it in device manager and put the 7950.

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
The driver problem is fixed. A big thanks go out to Ken Brown and the software guys at nvidia for providing a set of drivers that makes this card work.

For those of you with the same problem, you can go to nZone.com and download the 91.33 drivers.

Hank Ball

HK

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004
Well, I purchased the 7950 GX2 about a week ago and I didn't have quite the same problems...

Here's what goes on...

Mild to moderate snow - Kinda like little dots blinking randomly around the screen.
During gameplay I get Slight video tearing - Graphics randomly appearing around the screen, little to big chunks of the wall or other garbage flashing randomly
When I run 3dmark, and you get to this dragon/zepplin video, the whole screen blinks with random colors.
Alt-tabbing the whole screen garbles... sometimes, its like every other time when I alt-tab it goes to windows fine, or garbles the whole screen.

Here's what I got...

M2N32-SLI DELUXE 4200+ Dual Core
550w Power supply
xforce Nvidia 7950 GX2
2g Ram

Here is what I have done...

Flashed the bios to 603 version
tried the 91.31 driver
tried the 91.33 driver
updated the platform drivers 9.35

I'm baffled, and it being a Saturday, I have no idea what to do. I mean performance wise, everything seems to run smoothly with the exception of these video problems when I run a game. I am assuming it is a driver problem, but w/o any support from Nvidia itself, I have turned to xfx and Asus who are both closed today. Windows and some older games seem to be fine, just anything from Call of Duty 2 to Fear is a total nightmare to play. BTW, I don't believe its overheating issues, I get a 37 degree temp off the motherboard and a 56 degree temp from the vid card. Everything is brand new in the case with the exception of the HD and SB Aud. ZS card, which were both fine in my other case.

I suppose I am wondering Hank, after you finally got passed your problems, have you seen anything like this? The only other person I have talked to about his was that he was getting video problems when running Oblivian. Thanks for any info you guys can give me... :?