Single core vs. Dual core?

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I am planning on using the rig almost strictly for gaming. I am planning on AMD as my CPU of choice, but I was not sure whether to go dual or single core.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
If I were you I would look into the AM2 3800+ when they become available again. $150 is a steal for that chip and you'll be able to upgrade to quad core next year if you feel the need.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Like women, single and fast.

.......and cheap.

:)

You mean two women is not better? Obviously you guys haven't have any threesome experience. :wink:

Go for dual core and now the price is getting lower and lower on both AMD and Intel. X2 3800 is good and also the 940 is a very good deal for the price. You check it out at Newegg. :D

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I see what these guys mean, but go for dual core. The single (faster) core processors will perform faster in gaming, but fast dual core CPUs will not be noticeably slower and when multi threaded games come out - you'll want a dual core CPU.

Not only that, but for just using Windows, you can assign heavy processes to core 0 or core 1, meaning that you can have a lot of control over what the computer 'concentrates' most on.

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Without a budget it's difficult to make a certain reccommendation.

All I have left to purchase for my rig is video card(s), memory and the processor and around 750.00/800.00 dollars to do it. I have an ASUS A8N32-Sli mobo, if that helps any?

This is why:
AMD A64 3500+ SktAM2 2.2GHz 512 $123+0 6/10/06
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103633

Well if that's your budget, then go for it. A dual can offer better performance, but only if the games are multi-threaded. Also, you will not see double the performance either, it will most likely be between 0% and maybe 40%. Sorta like Crossfire or SLI.

If you want the best affordable solution now, then get a single core Athlon.

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
It depends on your system specs and budget. If you can fit a dual core into your budget, then dual core is the obvious choice. Dual cores perform about the same as single core. Especially if you have a good video card, and run game at high settings, the dual core won't impact performace. With Vista coming out early '07, getting a dual core is a wise choice.

Multi-threaded games will also be coming out, so you want to be ready for that.

Go dual core. There are many multithreaded games out now (relatively speaking :wink: ) and more coming in dribs and drabs
Actually, there isn't any multi-threaded games out yet. There are games that patch thing up for dual cores, but no true multi-threaded game. They will come in bunches thoguh. :wink:

I'm running VIsta Beta 2 in a seperate partition, on a Pentium D 820, and I t isnt actually that processor heavy. At least, no more than XP is doing roughly the same things. The only reason my processor jumps around a lot is becuase I have GMA950 Intel gfx chip, and it offloads lots of its work to the processor. Vista IS however heavy on memory - sitting idle, it chews through 68% of my RAM. I have 1 gig, which only a few years ago would of been extreme.

I agree however - Dual cores are not that much more expensive, and once you found out you can re encode and burn a DVD while immersed in your favourite game, you never want to go back.

bilbo3660

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I think there are actually about a dozen multithreaded games...but maybe what I saw was just a list of games that can take advantage of dual core. In any case a quick google turned this up...and I'm too lazy to even look at the second page or search for more. lol

I suppose if the question is - are there games that can take advantage of dualcore now - then the answer is yes. Quake4 is a great game and I can't wait to see what it looks and plays like when I build in August with dualcore and 2 gigs of ram. :D

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I think there are actually about a dozen multithreaded games...but maybe what I saw was just a list of games that can take advantage of dual core. In any case a quick google turned this up...and I'm too lazy to even look at the second page or search for more. lol

I suppose if the question is - are there games that can take advantage of dualcore now - then the answer is yes. Quake4 is a great game and I can't wait to see what it looks and plays like when I build in August with dualcore and 2 gigs of ram. :D

I am right there with ya'. I am building the PC so that I can play my games with as many bell's and whistles as I can on a budget. So far this is what I have Asus A8N32-SLI mobo, BenQ DVD combo drive, Enermax liberty 500w(I know that it may be a bit small for now, it is 80-85% efficient), artic cooling freezer 64 cpu fan. This is what I have planned to finish out the rig, AMD X2 3800+, 2gb kingston hyperX ram, Seagate barracuda 200gb Hdd and 2 EVGA or XFX 7600GT(SLI). Does that sound decent enough for a budget PC? Any suggestion would help.

bilbo3660

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006

I am right there with ya'. I am building the PC so that I can play my games with as many bell's and whistles as I can on a budget. So far this is what I have Asus A8N32-SLI mobo, BenQ DVD combo drive, Enermax liberty 500w(I know that it may be a bit small for now, it is 80-85% efficient), artic cooling freezer 64 cpu fan. This is what I have planned to finish out the rig, AMD X2 3800+, 2gb kingston hyperX ram, Seagate barracuda 200gb Hdd and 2 EVGA or XFX 7600GT(SLI). Does that sound decent enough for a budget PC? Any suggestion would help.

I looked at many of the same components as you but ultimately decided to go AM2. To be perfectly objective, I'll also take a look at Conroe. Anyway I like your components. The Enermax Liberty series is excellent but I'm going with the Antec NeoHe 550. Is your BenQ the DW1640? Two gigs of ram is the sweetspot nowadays and you can't go wrong with Seagate although I'm probably going with the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250. As far as SLI, the question to ask is will the cost of two 7600GT's, ~$350, give you more graphics power than what ~$350 will buy in one card, say the 7800GTX. My sense is the 7800GTX will outperform two 7600GT's but if not then more power to you. lol. Good luck with your build. It looks very good and more than a budget system. :wink:

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
OK, since you already have the mobo let's try this:
A skt939 3500+ single core runs about $120 today on NewEgg.
A skt939 3800+ X2 is still the same $300 its been for a while.
You want a fast gaming machine.
It won't be that long before the fastest X2 939 procs drop way more than the $120 cost of a 3500+.
Gaming performance is (almost) all about the videocard.

So, howbout thinking that 3500+ will work well with a single 7900GT. Then see if your budget allows room today for a 7900GTX instead.
This maximizes gaming performance today.
Down the road the X2 will be nice. So will either 2 7900GTX in SLI or the next gen high end single card...

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
strictly personal opinion,most games run well with single core atm,when games get multi threaded,like ut2007 then i will go dual core when i need it