Athlon 3500 939 or AM2?

jvmiller

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
This recent price drop has got me confused. You can get a 3500 939 and 3500 AM2 for almost the same price at newegg.

AM2

Now I know theres practically no performance increase (except for ddr2) for AM2 as of yet, but if I'm upgrading my system and would like to "future proof" it, why the hell shouldn't I go with the AM2, when it will allow me to get future processors without getting a new mobo, and it costs the same???

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I'd wait maybe a month or two for all the bugs to be worked out of AM2. By then, there will also be a much greater selection of AM2 motherboards. I'd recommend that you get THIS 3800+ because it costs about the same as the 3500+, and it will perform better.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
why the hell shouldn't I go with the AM2, when it will allow me to get future processors without getting a new mobo, and it costs the same???
Because with AM2, your choice of RAM is critical. You can't
just buy any RAM, if you want decent performance. Check out this article, and
see what i mean. You'll see that you need PC6400,or really tight PC 5400 to
compete with the s939 equivalent.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=454

GL :)

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
You'll see that you need PC6400,or really tight PC 5400 to

Well you would be a idiot to buy anything less than PC6400 anyways. DDR2-800 will be utilized by the new X2's. No point in having to upgrade your ram later on when it only costs a couple bucks more now.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You'll see that you need PC6400,or really tight PC 5400 to

Well you would be a idiot to buy anything less than PC6400 anyways. DDR2-800 will be utilized by the new X2's. No point in having to upgrade your ram later on when it only costs a couple bucks more now.Apparently
you should read the article before spouting off. From pg. 6 :roll:

"If you are an impatient hardware enthusiast and you do want to experience the AM2 experience you can be sure that it will offer you performance on par with current S939 systems, if you buy higher rated DDR2 modules. DDR2 PC6400 will equal budget PC3200 DDR1, while DDR2 PC8500 will bring performance levels on par with high end PC3200 (read CL2 2-2-7 1T timings)."

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Spouting off?? lol. I simply stated a fact that you should spend the extra $10 now and you will be all set for the new X2. What part of what I said dont you understand eh? :roll:

I can also tell you why their system wouldnt boot with the DDR2-800. Because they didnt set the voltage correctly for the OCZ memory. Thats the same memory Im running in my AM2 system and I the nforce boards default to 1.8v. I had to manually change mine to 2.1v because thats what the OCZ memory requires to run.

We tried a set of “OCZ PC2 6400 EL Gold Edition 5-5-5-10” but the AM2 system refused to boot, they worked okay in an Intel system though, so we tried Buffalo PC2 5300 2x1Gb kit, the system started up but unfortunately it didn’t get any further than the memory self-test. Could we have a broken board on our hands? Or does the nForce5 require special DDR2 memory?
:idea:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I simply stated a fact that you should spend the extra $10 now and you will be all set for the new X2. What part of what I said dont you understand?
This is what you said....

"Well you would be a idiot to buy anything less than PC6400 anyways".

Doesn't sound like FACT to me.

I can also tell you why their system wouldnt boot with the DDR2-800. Because they didnt set the voltage correctly for the OCZ memory. Thats the same memory Im running in my AM2 system and I the nforce boards default to 1.8v. I had to manually change mine to 2.1v because thats what the OCZ memory requires to run.
Maybe you
should e-mail them and set them straight then. :roll:

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The fact was that its better to spend a few extra dollars now on DDR2-800 so your ready for the new X2's than to have to buy new ram later. FACT!

Geeesh your slow, must be the cold weather getting to your brain cells. :roll:

Maybe you
should e-mail them and set them straight then.

Already did that, In fact I informed OCZ themselves. They werent even aware of the problem and have been fielding hundreds of calls for the same issue. I spoke with Sean Sinha at OCZ (sean@ocztechnology.com) just this morning concerning the problem. Here was his reply after I informed him of the problems.

As long as you don’t have the Asus M2N32-SLI our high speed Gold memory seems to work quite well on AM2/NForce4 platforms when the voltage is set correctly. Thanks for your help and keep me up to date on any overclocking you do past specification. How do you like the AM2 platform so far? Depending on your previous platform it should pose quite a nice performance increase.

Sean Kumar Sinha

Senior Technical Support Representative

Phone: (408) 733-8400 ext. 461

Fax: (408) 733-5200

Email: sean@ocztechnology.com

OCZ Technology

AIM: OCZSean

MSN: VLSean@Hotmail.com

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

Include all previous correspondence in your e-mail.

Now what you schmuck? I mean cannuck.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The fact was that its better to spend a few extra dollars now on DDR2-800 so your ready for the new X2's than to have to buy new ram later. FACT!

Not everyone is aware of this. FACT. Not everyone wants to have to buy the most expensive RAM, in order to get half-decent performance.FACT

PS. What cold weather. It was over 90F here last week. Gee...."Open mouth-
insert foot". I'm quiet sure i don't need to explain to you how to do that though, as you seem to do it everytime you post.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

Not everyone is aware of this. FACT. Not everyone wants to have to buy the most expensive RAM, in order to get half-decent performance.FACT

PS. What cold weather. It was over 90F here last week. Gee...."Open mouth-
insert foot". I'm quiet sure i don't need to explain to you how to do that though, as you seem to do it everytime you post.

SO IT DOESNT GET COLD IN CANADA ANYMORE, HMMM, I WAS JUST THERE LAST YEAR AND IT WAS ONLY 6 DEGREES. LOL. yOU MUST HAVE ALREADY FORGOTTEN LAST WINTER EH?
FACT IS ITS ONLY $10 MORE YOU SCHMUCK!! EVEN THE SEMPRONS UTILIZE 667 SO BUYING ANYTHING LESS WOULD BE MORONIC. IT ONLY TAKES SOMEONE A LITTLE BIT SMARTER THAN YOU TO FIGURE THAT OUT.

YOUR TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN TESTING THIS PLATFORM FOR SOME TIME NOW. ITS OBVIOUS YOUR THE ONE WITH THE LEARNING DISABILITY. GET A CLUE PLEASE, YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A FOOL OF YOURSELF. GO PLAY WITH YOUR NORTHWOOD.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
ITS OBVIOUS YOUR THE ONE WITH THE LEARNING DISABILITY. GET A CLUE PLEASE, YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A FOOL OF YOURSELF.
The OP asked for an opinion.I gave it. I gave a "responsible" post, pointing out AM2's
NEED for Top Shelf RAM. Now, you gave an "irresponsible" post, not letting
the poster in on that often intentionally overlooked requirement. I'm no fool
as my post attempted to bring this to his attention, while your post was only
made to fuel your AMD Fanboyist ego. You must be married to MMM. You must make a great couple, as you argue to the death whether the toilet-paper should face up, or down. :tongue:

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The OP asked for an opinion.I gave it. I gave a "responsible" post, pointing out AM2's
NEED for Top Shelf RAM. Now, you gave an "irresponsible" post, not letting
the poster in on that often intentionally overlooked requirement.

....And I pointed out that anyone would be an idiot to buy anything slower than pc6400 when the price difference is so small. How is that irresponsible :?: :?: and once again I ask you what part you dont understand?? :?: :?:
You got issues dude, you need some anger management of something.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
SO IT DOESNT GET COLD IN CANADA ANYMORE, HMMM, I WAS JUST THERE LAST YEAR AND IT WAS ONLY 6 DEGREES. LOL. yOU MUST HAVE ALREADY FORGOTTEN LAST WINTER EH?

Are you actually that nearsighted, to think that it only goes down to 6 in Canada. Gee, silly me...i thought there were States that got snow. hmmm.silly me. And i wonder why more snowmobiles are made in minnesota than Canada. HMMMMM

GO PLAY WITH YOUR NORTHWOOD.
I hate to have to be the one to break it to you, but my P4 is a Prescott, but your such an "expert" that i bet you knew that. NOT.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
....And I pointed out that anyone would be an idiot to buy anything slower than pc6400 when the price difference is so small. How is that irresponsible :?: :?: and once again I ask you what part you dont understand?? :?: :?:
You only pointed it out to shoot down my post,you wouldn't have even mentioned PC6400, had it not been for me, sooo
your reply wasn't FOR the poster, but FOR me. Get over yourself.

jvmiller

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Well that was entertaining...good thing I had popcorn.

Its really amazing...in Canada, it gets both cold and warm. :eek:

Anyway, returning to the original topic, it wouldn't bother me to get pc6400 ram, but since am2 is new, I'll probably wait a while at least until the motherboard selection gets bigger. Thanks for the posts/entertainment.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway, returning to the original topic, it wouldn't bother me to get pc6400 ram, but since am2 is new, I'll probably wait a while at least until the motherboard selection gets bigger. Thanks for the posts/entertainment.Sorry, that didn't help you with your question, and your welcome for the entertainment.... :wink: LOL

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

Anyway, returning to the original topic, it wouldn't bother me to get pc6400 ram, but since am2 is new, I'll probably wait a while at least until the motherboard selection gets bigger. Thanks for the posts/entertainment.

Thanks for the info fanboy, Im well aware of the temps in Canada. I was referring to the fact that the cold got to his brain and he forgot about it just being cold a few months ago. Wheeeeeew, man some of you people are reaaaaally slow.
This cannuck guy obviously has some sort of mental issues, it is entertaining though, I agree.
I had to actually make my point 5 times about it being worth it to spend the extra $10 now before it finally sunk in.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for the info fanboy, Im well aware of the temps in Canada. I was referring to the fact that the cold got to his brain and he forgot about it just being cold a few months ago. Wheeeeeew, man some of you people are reaaaaally slow.
This cannuck guy obviously has some sort of mental issues, it is entertaining though, I agree.
I had to actually make my point 5 times about it being worth it to spend the extra $10 now before it finally sunk in. You should win an award Fangirl. Most useless poster. You are not an asset to the forums. You
managed to try to insult, not only me, but the OP. Good thing we see you
for what you really are. A wannabe who is trying "desperately" to try and
fit in. Nobody dare disagree with your professional assessments,lest they
feel the wrath of a wannabe, who only fits into the "Horde". You must have read too many of MadModMikes posts, as you two have an amazingly similar attitude-"DO NOT!!!! disagree with me". Go back to your family now, as i'm sure they're missing getting B*tched at, while you're on here.