Processors of new systems

I'm looking for opinions concerning processors. I assume that a video card
is a must for any system and not to rely on shared/integrated video.

Could someone rate the following or comment on a decent system?

P4 530J Hyper Threading 3.0 GHZ
P4 630 HT 3.0
Pentium D 830 3.0
Pentium D 820 2.8
AMD 64 3500+ 2.2
AMD 64 3400+ 2.4

I'm considering Fry's (store brand) or HP, or Compac

Any system I purchase will be brought up to at least 1 GB RAM.
Any thoughts on mid price video cards is also apreciated.
My uses are going to be home, work, some gaming by my son (13 years old),
I'm not sure of his game, but nothing too extreme. And of course Flight
simming.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to flying with something better than my P3,
733MHZ
Andy
7 answers Last reply
More about processors systems

    I'm advising everybody to hold off until the net version is released before
    doing a total system upgrade. It's just a hunch mind you, but I think the
    next version is going to be more dependent on a high end GPU and less
    dependent on the processor. Of course you can take a shot and go long on
    both right now, but those who wait for that TOTAL system upgrade might get a
    better shot at maximizing a new system to take advantage of what will be
    available in the new engine.
    As for me, I've just upgraded to max out my 3.0 P4 system for AGP by getting
    a 6800GT 256 which should see me into the new version. At that time, I'm
    fairly sure that those upgrading will want to go from an AGP GPU to
    SLI/PCI-e GPU capability with good ram and a high end processor. This will
    mean a new mobo as well.
    You could do it now, but the present engine in FS9 might not give you the
    performance using SLI. I understand there might even be a hit going dual
    with the GPU's at this time.
    My advice is to do a minor upgrade and wait for the release of the next
    version; then make your BIG move.
    Just an amateur opinion here of course.
    Dudley Henriques
    "Andy L." <caldex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for opinions concerning processors. I assume that a video card
    > is a must for any system and not to rely on shared/integrated video.
    >
    > Could someone rate the following or comment on a decent system?
    >
    > P4 530J Hyper Threading 3.0 GHZ
    > P4 630 HT 3.0
    > Pentium D 830 3.0
    > Pentium D 820 2.8
    > AMD 64 3500+ 2.2
    > AMD 64 3400+ 2.4
    >
    > I'm considering Fry's (store brand) or HP, or Compac
    >
    > Any system I purchase will be brought up to at least 1 GB RAM.
    > Any thoughts on mid price video cards is also apreciated.
    > My uses are going to be home, work, some gaming by my son (13 years old),
    > I'm not sure of his game, but nothing too extreme. And of course Flight
    > simming.
    >
    > Thanks. I'm looking forward to flying with something better than my P3,
    > 733MHZ
    > Andy

    Geez, Dudley, I recall when I was upset because of the aviation
    abbreviations I didn't understand in your posts. I've gotten onto most of
    them and now I'm faced with all this computer lingo. It's okay, though.
    I'll just print this out and give it to a computer maker I know and let him
    worry about it.....and then I'll worry about the cost : )

    Arthur

    P.S. Had a ball lookin' at that Tomcat! : )

    "Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Geez, Dudley, I recall when I was upset because of the aviation
    > abbreviations I didn't understand in your posts. I've gotten onto most of
    > them and now I'm faced with all this computer lingo. It's okay, though.
    > I'll just print this out and give it to a computer maker I know and let
    > him worry about it.....and then I'll worry about the cost : )
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > P.S. Had a ball lookin' at that Tomcat! : )

    I think he's making the rounds. I sent him out to our F14 community. I know
    he's going to end up on a few ready room walls from what I'm getting back
    :-)

    Yeah, those acronyms can be a hassle all right. Unfortunately, in my world,
    almost everything is an acronym, as most of the time, things are happening
    way too fast to spell things out. Using them becomes force of habit for most
    of us in the fast airplane and space business.
    I think the computer people have outdone us however. I actually have a web
    site I go to from time to time to find out what some of their acronyms mean.
    I STILL have stuff in my computer that have acronyms I haven't had the time
    to look up :-)
    Dudley

    Hi Dudley Henriques,

    You're absolutely spot on, mate!

    And if anyone can't wait, at least get a motherboard that will take the
    next generation/s of CPUs, such as the AMD64 X2s, for example only,

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    > I'm advising everybody to hold off until the net version is released
    > before doing a total system upgrade. It's just a hunch mind you, but I
    > think the next version is going to be more dependent on a high end GPU and
    > less dependent on the processor. Of course you can take a shot and go long
    > on both right now, but those who wait for that TOTAL system upgrade might
    > get a better shot at maximizing a new system to take advantage of what
    > will be available in the new engine.
    > As for me, I've just upgraded to max out my 3.0 P4 system for AGP by
    > getting a 6800GT 256 which should see me into the new version. At that
    > time, I'm fairly sure that those upgrading will want to go from an AGP GPU
    > to SLI/PCI-e GPU capability with good ram and a high end processor. This
    > will mean a new mobo as well.
    > You could do it now, but the present engine in FS9 might not give you the
    > performance using SLI. I understand there might even be a hit going dual
    > with the GPU's at this time.
    > My advice is to do a minor upgrade and wait for the release of the next
    > version; then make your BIG move.
    > Just an amateur opinion here of course.
    > Dudley Henriques
    > "Andy L." <caldex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for opinions concerning processors. I assume that a video
    >> card is a must for any system and not to rely on shared/integrated video.
    >>
    >> Could someone rate the following or comment on a decent system?
    >>
    >> P4 530J Hyper Threading 3.0 GHZ
    >> P4 630 HT 3.0
    >> Pentium D 830 3.0
    >> Pentium D 820 2.8
    >> AMD 64 3500+ 2.2
    >> AMD 64 3400+ 2.4
    >>
    >> I'm considering Fry's (store brand) or HP, or Compac
    >>
    >> Any system I purchase will be brought up to at least 1 GB RAM.
    >> Any thoughts on mid price video cards is also apreciated.
    >> My uses are going to be home, work, some gaming by my son (13 years old),
    >> I'm not sure of his game, but nothing too extreme. And of course Flight
    >> simming.
    >>
    >> Thanks. I'm looking forward to flying with something better than my P3,
    >> 733MHZ
    >> Andy

    id recommend getting an A64 3700 939 version with 1mb cache (san diego). 1mb
    cache does help games....

    Even if you are not going to be using SLI/crossfire now i recommend getting
    a SLI compatable board, like an Asus A8N Premium or something like that,
    this way you can get a second card when you feel the need for a 50-99% gfx
    speed up... But one thing to remember, Gfx cards are CPU LIMITED even at
    1600x1200, so buying 2 isnt really going to improve things for you now. So
    depending on your money, id recommend a 7800gt or a 7800gtx. Both will play
    the next 2 or so years worth of games at max quality settings..... and if
    they dont you just get a second card....;-)

    What sort of monitor do you have though? not much point getting one of those
    beasts of a gfx card if you are running 1024x768!

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb
    "Andy L." <caldex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for opinions concerning processors. I assume that a video card
    > is a must for any system and not to rely on shared/integrated video.
    >
    > Could someone rate the following or comment on a decent system?
    >
    > P4 530J Hyper Threading 3.0 GHZ
    > P4 630 HT 3.0
    > Pentium D 830 3.0
    > Pentium D 820 2.8
    > AMD 64 3500+ 2.2
    > AMD 64 3400+ 2.4
    >
    > I'm considering Fry's (store brand) or HP, or Compac
    >
    > Any system I purchase will be brought up to at least 1 GB RAM.
    > Any thoughts on mid price video cards is also apreciated.
    > My uses are going to be home, work, some gaming by my son (13 years old),
    > I'm not sure of his game, but nothing too extreme. And of course Flight
    > simming.
    >
    > Thanks. I'm looking forward to flying with something better than my P3,
    > 733MHZ
    > Andy

    >>> Could someone rate the following or comment on a decent system?
    >>>
    >>> P4 530J Hyper Threading 3.0 GHZ
    >>> P4 630 HT 3.0
    >>> Pentium D 830 3.0
    >>> Pentium D 820 2.8
    >>> AMD 64 3500+ 2.2
    >>> AMD 64 3400+ 2.4
    >>>
    >>> I'm considering Fry's (store brand) or HP, or Compac
    >>>
    >>> Any system I purchase will be brought up to at least 1 GB RAM.
    >>> Any thoughts on mid price video cards is also apreciated.
    >>> My uses are going to be home, work, some gaming by my son (13 years
    >>> old), I'm not sure of his game, but nothing too extreme. And of course
    >>> Flight simming.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks. I'm looking forward to flying with something better than my P3,
    >>> 733MHZ
    >>> Andy

    Heres my 2 cents worth ....

    I have just built a new system specifically for Flight Sim , and having
    done a fair bit of research into what would be good , and how to maximise
    the time before I need to upgrade for newer technology when it arrives , I
    have found out these things :

    1) At this time , going for a dual core or multithreading processor is of no
    advantage for Flightsimming , as Flightsim was not written with this
    technology in mind.
    2) In several forums , there is much debate about whether running 2 PCIE
    cards in SLI gives any advantage in Flightsim , or indeed many other games
    at this time , for much the same reason as above.
    3) If you are contemplating building a new machine , the Athlon processors
    are miles ahead of the Intel product at this time. Athlon have solved the
    heat problem which had dogged them for so many years ( my new 4000+ runs at
    27 degs at idle , and 41 degs while running FS9) . Intel have lost this
    round to Athlon , as their ( Intel) new 64 bit processors run VERY hot.
    Also , depending on what processor you choose from the Intel range ,
    dictates what type of motherboard you can use , as there are several
    different socket configurations in the range.

    A socket 939 MB will run ALL of the Athlon 64 bit processors ( including
    the X2 dual core range). Basically one socket type , many choices of
    processor . Some of these boards have provision for 2 PCIE cards , run
    together in SLI format.
    4) If and when Microsoft ( or any other Sim manufacturer ) makes a 64 bit ,
    multithread capable sim , all of the advantages of these new hardware
    technologies will fall into place .
    5) AGP will gradually be replaced by PCIE as the main video card format.

    Having said all of that , the machine I built was a Socket 939 , with an
    Athlon 4000+ processor , and an X800 Videocard. When the new 64 bit ,
    multithreaded Flightsim 20XX arrives , all I need do is change one
    component , the processor , not the whole computer , to take advantage of
    the new technology. This is probably as close to " Future Proofing " my
    computer as I am ever going to be able to .

    Time will tell....

    Ross

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

    >id recommend getting an A64 3700 939 version with 1mb cache (san diego). 1mb
    >cache does help games....

    1mb doesn't help much. Games like doom3 that run at 190 fps/s on a
    4000+ get a 185 fps/s on a 3800+.

    3800+ has 512Kb ram
    4000+ has 1Mb ram and same clock speed as 3800+

    3500+ has 512Kb ram
    3700+ has 1Mb ram and same clock speed as 3500+

    I do not recommand 3700+ or 4000+, you only got a handful of FPS in
    games and they cost more. Only specific applications get a advantage
    of the 1Mb ram but most of the games tested doesn't get any
    improvement (1 to 5 fps/s I don't call that an improvement ;)

    I would recommand to install Flight Simulator on a separate partition
    and alone on this partition. Having a good hard disk drive will also
    help and of course buy the fatest CPU and video card your money allows
    you, Flight Simulator is very hungry.

    L.I

Processors Video Games Product