Newbie

Last response: in Networking
March 13, 2005 12:48:31 AM

I've managed to get hold of a Cisco CP-7920 handset - now what I need to now
is I can I make/receive calls via my router/wifi AP - if so what
software/hardware do I need? Is the software difficult to configure? Any
help would be greatly appreciated

Rgds
Alan
Southampton
UK

More about : newbie

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:48:32 AM

"Alan Mascall" <alan.mascall@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:p sJYd.21049$l65.14849@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> I've managed to get hold of a Cisco CP-7920 handset - now what I need to
now
> is I can I make/receive calls via my router/wifi AP - if so what
> software/hardware do I need? Is the software difficult to configure? Any
> help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Rgds
> Alan
> Southampton
> UK

I'm not familiar with the hardware, but...........

It appears to use a proprietary protocol ( Compatible with Cisco Survivable
Remote Site Telephony (SRST) Version 2.0 and later. ) and may require a
Cisco AP. (Access point support: Cisco Aironet series access points
including the 1200, 1100, 350 and 340 series)
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:02:56 AM

Information on the 7920 is at:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Cisco%2079...

Note that it runs SCCP (a "Skinny" proprietary version of H.323
developed by Selsius - who was bought by Cisco a few years ago).
Cisco and Asterisk (maybe others?) support this protocol for
registering phones.

The quickest way to get the phone running is to follow the SCCP link
on the above web page. Essentially, you need to install Asterisk on a
machine in your network and register the phone to it. At that point
you will have dialtone, and can trans-code out to IAX, SIP, H.323 or
even POTS. :-)

HTH,

JDB
!