I just upgraded my kids' computer from 98se to XP. Everything went great,
all programs kept. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer to XP Pro full
version. Will it upgrade from W2000? I've read somewhere that it won't quite
a while ago, and recently that it would. Maybe it's the XP upgrade version
that won't use 2000 as a qualified OS for the upgrade?

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

You'll need to purchase a "Retail Version" of Windows XP
Professional in order to upgrade over an existing Windows
2000. It can be either a "Retail Upgrade" or "Retail Full Version".
An "OEM Version" of XP Pro cannot be used to upgrade over
Windows 2000....clean installs only.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of upgrading my computer to XP Pro full
> version. Will it upgrade from W2000?

Yes. You can upgrade from 2000 to XP Professional, but not to XP
Home. But note that the OEM version (which people often confuse
with the Full version) that will not do an upgrade of any kind.

> I've read somewhere that it won't quite
> a while ago, and recently that it would.

It may be the difference between XP Professional and Home that
confused you.

> Maybe it's the XP upgrade version
> that won't use 2000 as a qualified OS for the upgrade?

No, you can use either. Since you qualify for the upgrade
version, and it's much cheaper than the full version, that's what
you should buy. Other than the rules for using them, there's no
difference between the Full and Upgrade versions.

Please reply to the newsgroup

You can't upgrade Windows 2000 to XP Home but you can certainly upgrade to
XP Pro. Make certain you do a decent disk cleanup first. Unplug peripherals
like scanners, printers, usb drives etc., disable or uninstall Antivirus
software before upgrading and remove third party disk management software
like GoBack, System Tools etc.

After the upgrade completes ensure you turn on Windows XP Firewall before
you connect to the internet. That means you should choose to not Activate or
register immediately. You have a grace period. The first time you boot into
the Desktop turn on the Firewall, then update to SP1 and apply all patches
or upgrade to SP2. You can download the full version of SP1 from here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/network.asp

or the full version of SP2 from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
and save to CD so you can install it after the upgrade. (You do not need to
install SP1 prior to installing SP2 if you decide to go with SP2)

Check this link for Upgrade Info http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded my kids' computer from 98se to XP. Everything went great,
> all programs kept. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer to XP Pro full
> version. Will it upgrade from W2000? I've read somewhere that it won't
> quite
> a while ago, and recently that it would. Maybe it's the XP upgrade version
> that won't use 2000 as a qualified OS for the upgrade?
>
> Gary
>

> --
>
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can upgrade from W2K to XP. I upgraded a Gateway notebook from ME-OEM to
W2K then XPSP1 then SP2 without problems.
Michael

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded my kids' computer from 98se to XP. Everything went great,
> all programs kept. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer to XP Pro full
> version. Will it upgrade from W2000? I've read somewhere that it won't
> quite
> a while ago, and recently that it would. Maybe it's the XP upgrade version
> that won't use 2000 as a qualified OS for the upgrade?
>
> Gary
>

> --
>
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com

Hi,

Just to add a bit:

A Win2000 system *must* upgrade to to WinXP Pro. You may have heard
information about it not upgrading to WinXP Home, which is quite true.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone