Advice one My First System

hey all im currently putting togeather my first system(am2) and i wanted some advice on if there are better parts out there for what i want. or compatability issues.Im not wanting to spend over $1,200 on the case/cpu/mobo/graphics card/sound card/ram/power supply/hard drive/ cd rom drives. Putting in alot of money for me atlest to go and mess somthing up + my first system iv built want it to go smooth

here is what i picked out so far..(i already got the case and power supply 2 rear fans
1 side fan
1 pci slot fan
and a front fan)

Case -$50 Sky Hawk anodiced aluminum alloy with motor drive door
Power Supply -$60 Aspire 500w sli compliant dual 12v

Motherboard -$147 ASUS m2n-SLI delux nFORCE 570 SLI
Cpu -$286 AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2000MHZ
Graphics Card -$290 XFX Gefroce 7900gt 256mb
Ram -$229 Corsair XMS2 2gb 240p ddr2 sdram
Hard drive -$75 200gb 7200 RPM Western Digital
CD/DVD Burner -$70 Lacie 16x dvd-r burner with lightscribe technology
CD/DVD rom -$20 Sony cd/dvd rom

Total= $1117

OTHER PARTS

Monitor -$300 BenQ black 20.1' widescreen LCD
Speakers -$54 Logitech x-530 5.1 speakers
Mouse -$25 Rzer Diamondback precision gaming mouse
Keyboard -$22 Sunbeam 2tone 104 normal keys 32 function keys wired standerd illuminated keyboard(light up keys)

O yea and i guess it might be good 2 mention my purpose with this computer is to run games such as counter strike,eq,eq2,Vagnuard,call of duty 2 at close to high specs if not max but i dont really have a need to Overclock inless any of the parts do it manually. Also AIM/Internet explorer/email.
10 answers Last reply
More about advice system
  1. Quote:
    hey all im currently putting togeather my first system(am2) and i wanted some advice on if there are better parts out there for what i want. or compatability issues.Im not wanting to spend over $1,200 on the case/cpu/mobo/graphics card/sound card/ram/power supply/hard drive/ cd rom drives. Putting in alot of money for me atlest to go and mess somthing up + my first system iv built want it to go smooth

here is what i picked out so far..(i already got the case and power supply 2 rear fans
    1 side fan
    1 pci slot fan
    and a front fan)

Total= $1117

OTHER PARTS

Keyboard -$22 Sunbeam 2tone 104 normal keys 32 function keys wired standerd illuminated keyboard(light up keys)

O yea and i guess it might be good 2 mention my purpose with this computer is to run games such as counter strike,eq,eq2,Vagnuard,call of duty 2 at close to high specs if not max but i dont really have a need to Overclock inless any of the parts do it manually. Also AIM/Internet explorer/email.

Ok here is what I would change.

The 3800+ is not 286, its only $165.00. If you meant the X2-3800, sub that for the 4000+ when available because it has double the cache.

RAM- Use this OCZ RAM instead its CLS 4 instead of 5.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227089
    Will be back in stock on June 13 (Tuesday) worth waiting for.

DVD burner- $70 for a burner is a complete and total ripoff. Save money and get this one instead:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106015

As for gaming mouse, i LOVE the G5 from Logitech. Its the best mouse I have ever used period.
  2. hey thanks for the help but the dvd burner u picked out isnt compatable with my mobo i dont think
  3. Quote:
    hey thanks for the help but the dvd burner u picked out isnt compatable with my mobo i dont think

If you think the cd burner is not compatable with your motherboard, you probably shouldnt attempt to build your own computer. :lol:
  4. Quote:

1 side fan
    1 pci slot fan
    and a front fan)

Total= $1117

OTHER PARTS

save some money and get the msi 570 sli mobo for $135 on newegg. dont no about the case though, never heard of the brand and i usually dont suggest getting no name brands. I have an extremepc mag that says the benq sux so bad it shouldnt even be out. they gave it a 4/10. u can save a lot of money by switching ur burner to a cheaper burner with better/equivalent performance.
  5. Case doesn't realy matter at first, but later on you'll realize the importance of a quality case like an Antec or Coolermaster. I'd swap out the power supply for an Antec Neo with adaptable plugs. 5 year warranty, quality power, and easy to find. There are better power supplies but you need to search for them, the Antec is readily available.

I hate Asus boards. They are good but I don't like the BIOS. I'd a hudge Abit fan and would recommend one of those. Abit has the best warranty plan in the business as well.

I'd take only an AMD x2 CPU. WIth Windows Vista on the way why not be prepared with dual cores. Make sur eyour windows supports 2 CPUs such as XP PRO not Home. The previouse recommendation of a 4000+ with double the cache is a good idea if your budget supports it.

Any video card will do, get the best you can afford, and opt for video in if that's something you'd like to have. Great for watching sattelite on your monitor, or you can jsut buy a capture card down the road.

I'd buy a Seagate hard drive over a Western Digital. Quiet, fast, NCQ and a better warranty. The only Western DIgital I'd consider is the Raptor. Whatever you buy make sure it's SATA II and make sure the motherboard supports SATA II. Not the older SATA.

For a burner I'd stay away from litescribe. It's hard to find high end blanks and they are expensive. I'd use Taiyo Yuden blanks with Ink Jet printable surface. Taiyo Yuden is the best and the Ink Jet surface gives bettter results. All you need is an Epson R200 or similar printer. For cheap ink consider a continuous ink system from inkrepublic.com.

I'd take a Pioneer or NEC burner, or if you can afford a plextor. LaCie makes cheaper burners. I used ot be a liteon fan but they too are cheap and fail easily. I'm a pioneer fan myself, NEC I hear are good, Plextor the best but I never dish out the money for them.

Monitor, any old 20"-23" widescreen will work, nowadays all LCDs are good quality. If your picky read the reviews.

I prefer the new Logitech cordless mice like the G7 and the G15 keyboard lights up as well.

For RAM it doesn't really matter at your price range. I'd get the cheapest 2GB daual DDR. Kingston Value RaM, Corsair Value, or OCZ would be a good choice. The OCZ kits have always been a top choice of mine for kits, and Kingston Value for cheaper single sticks.

Hope this helps. I've been building gaming computers professionally for over 12 years and this is a bsic overview of what I'd recommend without going overboard.
  6. I definately agree with the plextor burner. Only had one bad burn and that is because I bumped the computer during a burn. My old 12x burner from 2001 has been transfered to 3 different computers and is still burning. It has burned at least 500 cd's. My new plextor hasn't given me any problems either. Plextor's are more expensive though. I have a plextor 716sa comes with white bezels but also has black in the box.
  7. Quote:
    hey thanks for the help but the dvd burner u picked out isnt compatable with my mobo i dont think

If you think the cd burner is not compatable with your motherboard, you probably shouldnt attempt to build your own computer. :lol:

ight i posted this for helpfull advice not for people to leave smartass comments. OBviously this is my first system build so i wanted to help some helpfull advice the DvD burner that was picked out was atapi/e-ide i believe but my mobo doesnt say anything about Atapi/E-IDE only talks about a IDE connecton so i tryed to go with that it said. but i dont have alot of computer knowladge so i wouldnt really know if the E-ide would work 2....

CPU -$326 AMD Athlon 64 fx 3800+Graphics Card -$173 Leadteck gt gefroce 7600gt 256mb (i picked this over the 7900gt because 1. the price difference 2. i heard alot of bad stuff about the 7900's with heat issues and what not and 3. the 7600gt will run the games i want at high enuff specs that ill be happy with)
    Memory -$217*$186 with mail in rebate* ocz platinum 2gb(2x1gb) ddr2 800(pc2 6400)
    Mouse -$45 Logitech G5 lazer mouse
    Hard Drive -$85 Segate barracuda 7200.9 200gb 7200rpm 8mb cache

also if anyone could help pick out 2 cd drives for me its the only thing im really having trouble with.....
    some people say 2 is a waste but its faster to burn and this way i dont have to put all the crap on my computer and then burn i can just burn from disk to disk....
    im not looking to spend alot on the drives not over like $100 total(both drives) im going to want to burn cds and dvd's (start a movie collection) and read dvd's (for games like eq2 that have the dvd version of the disk)
  8. I can understand your confusion. When you see IDE mentioned on modern motherboards, you can safely assume that includes ATAPI, E-IDE, and other stuff you probably aren't familliar with. To keep things simple I'll just say that E-IDE and ATAPI are standards that have been around a long while. (E-IDE seems to date from around 1996 and ATAPI from 1998.) Modern motherboards should support Ultra ATA/100 on the PATA port. (Parallel ATA port, aka the IDE port) The motherboard may only have 1 IDE port (which can run 2 devices) though. That means you want SATA (Serial ATA) harddrives. (Which is what you chose.)

For much more info (including a table showing the evolution of PATA/SATA) you can check this page out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-IDE
  9. bumb this up could use some more advice

this is an update of the shit i plan on buying

I DO NOT PLAN TO OVERCLOCK OR SLI AT ANYTIME IN MY LIFE OR ATLEST IN THE NEAR FUTURE INLESS IT AUTO OVERCLOCKS OR SOMTHING MAIN USE= HARD CORE GAMER eq/eq2/vanguard(soon)/cod2/BF2/CS/Diablo much more BUT i dont need to completely blow alway the Graphics or anyhting like that i just want to run any of thoes games are 2ed to best specs or at best

THE PART NAME IS THE LINK BTW

MOTHERBOARD -$147 ASUS M2N sli deluxe AM2 Nforce 750
    CPU -$326 AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual-core
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2205986&Tab=0&NoMapp=0 -$253 OCZ Dual Channel EL Platinum XTC 2gb pc6400 DDR2
    GRAPHICS CARD -$173 Leadtek Geforce 7600gt 265mb
    OR
    if prices drop im going to go with
    GRAPHICS CARD #2 -$360 eVGA Gefroce 7900gt 256mb
    SOUND CARD -$58 Diamond XtremeSound 7.1 Channels 24bit
    DVDcd BURNER -$55 PLEXTOR BLACK 2m cache dvd burner
    DVDcd DRVIE -$20 SONY black dvd/cd rom
    HARDDRIVE -$83 SEagate Barracuda 7700 200GB 7200rpm 8mb cache
    MOUSE -$45 Logitech G5 LASER
    KEYBOARD -$20 Sunbeam Standerd illuiminated keyboard (lights up for dark use)
    SPEAKERS -$54 Logitech x-530 70 watts 5.1 speakers
    WEBCAM -$49 Logitech quickcam
  10. Don't forget your OS, unless you already have it. Windows, Linux etc. Good luck with tigerdirect. They have poor seller ratings for a reason. Pricewatch is worth looking at and gives good links to seller ratings. It's often worth a few more bucks from someone reputable to ensure you get what you pay for..with out hassle. Get the retail version of the CPU unless you want to buy a seperate heat sink and thermal compound. Dont' forget to read up on as many DIY articles as you can find Toms Guide and note pitfalls like Electostatic. I.E. don't work over carpet. :wink: The book stores have several good books too so go to your local barnes and nobles, pick a book off the shelf, buy a coffee and read.. then put it back when you're done :wink: Lastly is my gut feeling from experience.

:idea: My first build was the brand new AthlonXP 2000+. It had been out for about 2 months when i jumped on it. My motherboard (which got amazing reviews. 10/10) had to be RMA'd twice and eventually killed my processor 6 months later, (palomino core). And no.. i didn't OC it. I'll never trust SOYO ever again. New architectures like AM2 are exciting but be prepared for growing pains. Buying behind the curve with reliable proven parts, known conflicts, and documented fixes and work arounds is smarter and cheaper. I wish I had. May the force be with you
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product