Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on Possible Failing Power Supply

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2006 1:12:26 AM

I have read the FAQ sticky and it was very informative. However, I would like some opinions of people here as well. I have an Antec 450W PSU that is running very hot. At points the fans kick on and become louder and under normal operation it is always pumping out hot air. And I did check the fans and the fans in the PSU all seem to be operational.

My voltage levels according to Motherboard Monitor are:

+3.3 = 3.25 V
+5.00 = 4.84 V
+12 = 11.86 V
-12 = 0.00 V
-5 = 0.00 V

I recently upgraded my video card to an X850 XT, however, I have taken out that video card and put in my old Radeon 9800 Pro to see if it was my video card causing my PSU to become hotter and my PSU continued to run very hot even with the Radeon 9800 Pro card in.

Does it appear that my PSU is failing or overloaded? I just ordered 430W Thermaltake PSU for $40 on Newegg, the price was right in my range cause I didn't want to spend $90 on a 500W PSU. I think it is failing because the PSU continued to run very hot even with my old Radeon 9800 Pro card that only requires a 300W PSU.
June 11, 2006 1:37:14 AM

You can calculate the percentage with ((voltage-measured)/voltage)*100.

For your posted specs:

+3.3v = 1.52% variance
+5v = 3% variance
+12v = 1.17% variance

Dude you are apparently good to go with your current psu.

Can you post the -12v and -5v (if available) volt specs from the BIOS?

Any info from the PSU sticker will be helpful...
June 11, 2006 1:46:26 AM

It does seem good according to the voltage levels but it is seroiusly pumping out very hot air constantly. Once I power the computer on it seems to operate as normal, pumping out little to no hot air, and then about 10 minutes of the PC running it starts pumping out more air and it keeps getting hotter and hotter. At the moment it is pumping out a lot of hot air. So something appears to be wrong to me.

I'll check for those specs in my BIOS and get some info off the PSU sticker for you.
Related resources
June 11, 2006 4:26:14 AM

i think its normal, i have a NeoHE 500w. and the air is a decent warm but its slow and i think it seems normal. after all its 500w but i have an X1900XT which is a power hog.
June 11, 2006 4:56:14 AM

Quote:
I have read the FAQ sticky and it was very informative. However, I would like some opinions of people here as well. I have an Antec 450W PSU that is running very hot. At points the fans kick on and become louder and under normal operation it is always pumping out hot air. And I did check the fans and the fans in the PSU all seem to be operational.

My voltage levels according to Motherboard Monitor are:

+3.3 = 3.25 V
+5.00 = 4.84 V
+12 = 11.86 V
-12 = 0.00 V
-5 = 0.00 V

I recently upgraded my video card to an X850 XT, however, I have taken out that video card and put in my old Radeon 9800 Pro to see if it was my video card causing my PSU to become hotter and my PSU continued to run very hot even with the Radeon 9800 Pro card in.

Does it appear that my PSU is failing or overloaded? I just ordered 430W Thermaltake PSU for $40 on Newegg, the price was right in my range cause I didn't want to spend $90 on a 500W PSU. I think it is failing because the PSU continued to run very hot even with my old Radeon 9800 Pro card that only requires a 300W PSU.

My old Antec PS started running hot and soon after bit the big one, took out my mobo and CPU. Jonnyguru says power supplies should not run hot. I tend to agree, but since my Antec disaster, I'm sensitized. I'd recommend replacement. A decent PS is not that expensive. I've used that TT 430 and it had high 12V ripple. Sent it back.
!