need fast help! CPU fan hitting 70 'C after cleaning!

wby87

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
hi all,

here is a bit background info:
I noticed recently that my CPU fan is making a alot of noises, and the temperature is hitting 52 'C even on idle. I thought its probably that there is too much dust stuck in the fan. So I took it out and cleaned it up (there was indeed a lot of dust.).

All the process went smoothly. but after I put the fan back on and start my pc. the temp went up to 70 'C just after about a minute! I immediatly turned it off and try to take it out and assemble it again. But the problem still remains!

Like I said, I didn't do anything except cleaning the fan with a toothbrush, brushing all (most) of the dust that got stuck in the metal part outward. I guess it is possible that some dust got pushed inside, but that shouldn't be that big of a problem right?

I've also noticed that the layer of "glue like" material on/between my cpu and the bottom of the fan is pretty thin/thinning. Would this be the problem? They also become sticky after i turned on the computer, probably because the temp is so high.

This is all I know. right now I am on a labtop. But I really would like to use my powerful desktop soon!

Thanks for the help guys

PS, my machine:
Pentium D 820
The fan that came with the CPU
ASUS L5PD2 borad
1 gig DDR 667 ram (corsair, sp.?)
120 gig 7200 seagate hardisk
ATI X700 Pro 256
On-board sound, internet

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
That sticky stuff between your heatsink and processor is thermal compound, it helps transfer processor heat to heatsink. If you removed your heatsink you will have to re-apply new thermal compound. Remove all old compound and put new compound on. If you don't have any, you can get it from almost any computer store, if you want some good stuff get arctic silver.

EDIT: I just read your post again... I definately reccomend that you replace the thermal compound but I also remembered that I had problems with my stock intel heatsink not all of the pushdown clips would click in, there was one that was giving me problems and it was fine for about a day or so but then the intel software kept giving me warnings about cpu temp, so I reapplied the thermal compound and tried clipping those things again. I had the same problem only it lasted 2 or 3 days. I gave up and got an aftermarket heatsink/fan that attached differently (it screwed on) and now I don't go above 40C unless my room gets over 80F. Hope this helps.

TrentB

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I agree that if you do not apply enough thermal compound when you re-assemble your heatsink and fan. But you might want to replace the fan as well, fans can fail over time. This is a cheap item to replace but very critical.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
OK, here's what to do:

1) Get a new CPU cooler; the stock Intel one isn't too grest. THIS Zalman cooler has good reviews.

2) Get some Arctic Silver because the thermal grease that comes with the cooler is crap.

3) Apply a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) of Arctic Silver onto the CPU. Then take a credit card to spread it until there's a thin layer covering the CPU.

4) Install the CPU cooler, carefully following the directions that it shows in the manual.

Your CPU temps should be a lot lower.

wby87

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
thanks for the replies. but I still have the same problem.

I've brought some new thermal paste and applied it to the fan bottom (after removing completely the old ones, and applied it both thinly, and thickly after I saw the thin layer doesn't work)

my cpu still goes up to 70 'C. and it seems that the problem is not the thermal paste because when i took the fan off, the fan feels as hot as the cpu itself (meaning that the heat got transferred to the fan right?). So this would mean that it not the "clip on" problem with the intel fan because the heat does get transferred to the fan correctly.

so this only leaves 2 choices, either my cpu is broken or my fan is not working correctly. but i think the chances that my cpu is broken right after i clean my fan (working fine at 52 'C previously) should be very low. I also checked my fan's rpm and it is rotating regularily at about 2600 rpm, which is the right speed.

all these doesn't make any sense at all now. i know the fan is not the beset one but it worked perfectly before for me. and if it is rotating at the right speed and heat is getting transferred to the fan's bottom, then it should be cooled down, but it doesn't! i'm very confused now. but i'll try to buy a new fan tomorrow and see if that solves it. but in the mean time, please leave anything you can think off. i really appreciate it.

ps: i had a old amd machine that had some problem. i thought it is because of the cpu and i replaced it with a new one. it worked fine for a while. but after about a month that machine burned up...so i'm a bit shaky about this right now.

wby87

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
thanks
btw angry_ducky does that fan support pentium d's? it didn't have it in the list.

and also is there any chance that this is not a fan problem? i'm not the richest person and i don't want to spend 40 bucks and not solve the problem (can i return fans btw?)

edit: thanks Chuckshissle. but that fan is just a bit too expensive for me. i'd like to have something in the 30-40s, or even better the 20s. but i also want a relatively quite and working fan that'll last probably this machine's time.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
OK, here's what to do:

1) Get a new CPU cooler; the stock Intel one isn't too grest. THIS Zalman cooler has good reviews.

2) Get some Arctic Silver because the thermal grease that comes with the cooler is crap.

3) Apply a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) of Arctic Silver onto the CPU. Then take a credit card to spread it until there's a thin layer covering the CPU.

4) Install the CPU cooler, carefully following the directions that it shows in the manual.

Your CPU temps should be a lot lower.

Agreed. Also get the Arctic Siver HSF cleaning solvent and clean the surfaces well before adding the AS.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
The heatsink and fan that I bought was $20.
It is a Masscool Model #8W0141b1m3g it is rated for up to 3.6ghz however there is no refrence to Pentium D on there web site.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
That Artic Cooler that you linked to is a great cooler and much cheaper than when I bought one. I have it installed on a P4 630 and it is 33C as I'm typing this and it is much quieter than the stock Intel HS/F. Never even breaks 50C during hours of gaming. I just apply a small rice sized bead of Artic Silver 5 on the heat spreader and placed the cooler directly on top to spread it out. Works great every time.

TRENDING THREADS