prints color but poor black

Lexmark X85 prints in color but faded black. Both cartridges new. Any
suggestion of problem.

Larry Bellman wrote:
> Lexmark X85 prints in color but faded black. Both cartridges new. Any
> suggestion of problem.

Faded black what... text? graphics?

By faded black you mean everything printed in black is kind of grey?

My first suspicion falls on the cartridge. You've obviously tried
cleaning cycles for the black cartridge, right?

When you take the cartridge out and hold a rolled up tissue against
the printhead, does the ink soak into the tissue readily or hardly at
all? Is it black or faded? Sorry, couldn't resist. But I'd like to
know if the ink is freely flowing and not held being held up by an air
bubble or something inside the cartridge.

I used to have a Lexmark. I never had trouble with the black cartridge
but the colour one would stop feeding every once in a while. I'd have
to swing it hard from over my head toward the ground (not letting go!)
in an effort to drive the ink to the printhead. Make sure you wrap it
in a paper towel when you do this! I used to refill them myself.

What do your nozzle checks reveal?

-Taliesyn

You've suggested all the things I've tried. I even exchanged the new cart.
for another, but the same thing happened. At the beginning of this problem
I was using a cart. I refilled and so I refilled it but no difference.

The problem occurs with text printing, and appear that it is not putting out
enough ink. The tissue on the print heads of the cart. makes an oval ink
mark but doesn't flow as well as other carts. I've had. I created an
envelope in Word and all was fine.

Nozzle checks, (cleaning heads) show good color but no black.

Thanks for the help
Larry
"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Larry Bellman wrote:
>> Lexmark X85 prints in color but faded black. Both cartridges new. Any
>> suggestion of problem.
>
> Faded black what... text? graphics?
>
> By faded black you mean everything printed in black is kind of grey?
>
> My first suspicion falls on the cartridge. You've obviously tried cleaning
> cycles for the black cartridge, right?
>
> When you take the cartridge out and hold a rolled up tissue against
> the printhead, does the ink soak into the tissue readily or hardly at
> all? Is it black or faded? Sorry, couldn't resist. But I'd like to
> know if the ink is freely flowing and not held being held up by an air
> bubble or something inside the cartridge.
>
> I used to have a Lexmark. I never had trouble with the black cartridge but
> the colour one would stop feeding every once in a while. I'd have
> to swing it hard from over my head toward the ground (not letting go!)
> in an effort to drive the ink to the printhead. Make sure you wrap it
> in a paper towel when you do this! I used to refill them myself.
>
> What do your nozzle checks reveal?
>
> -Taliesyn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:18:44 -0500, "Larry Bellman"
<larrybellman@videotron.ca> wrote:

>Lexmark X85 prints in color but faded black. Both cartridges new. Any
>suggestion of problem.

It's made by Lexmark.

--

Hecate - The Real One