4 pin fan headers

can a 3 pin fan header work with a 4 pin?

like that, will a 3 pin connector fit and work properly?
6 answers Last reply
More about headers
  1. i believe it should, i had a few 2 pin fan header working in 3 pin jacks and they all worked well without problems
  2. All you have to do is plug in your fan where it fits(so to speak)....

In the picture it is the top 3 pins....you see the little tab thingy..... that makes sure your fan(3 or 4 pin) goes in the right spot....

Hope this helps...

EDIT
    As such u will loose that pulse thingamajiger modulation thingydo(thats what the 4th pin is for...its a Intel noise reduction thingy....).....but its not needed as the fan does not have it....
  3. Quote:
    i believe it should, i had a few 2 pin fan header working in 3 pin jacks and they all worked well without problems

no i was looking into getting the Intel D975XBX (intel flagship mobo) and they had lots of 4 pin fan headers. so in th epic it seems as if a 3 pin would fit
  4. ty, so there would be no way to control the fan.......mnmmm
  5. Quote:
    I still prefer using knob-based (with a pot) fan controller; it's more traditional and gives you accurate adjustment.

Using your modding imagination or sacrifice a 5.25"/3.5" bay,
    I use the Vantec Nexus 301..It works great. Can even handle a 92mm Tornado :lol:

http://www.vantec.com.tw/_en/01_product/03_detail_01overview.php?mainid=2&fid=19&sid=48&id=19
  6. Quote:
    I still prefer using knob-based (with a pot) fan controller; it's more traditional and gives you accurate adjustment.

Using your modding imagination or sacrifice a 5.25"/3.5" bay,

hmm i wanted to get a P180 and add a 120mm fan in the front, sacraficing 3 5.25" bays, but to increase airflow so the fan controler couldnt fit.....mmmm
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Fan