Files in xp won't open in 7

Rex Johansen

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I've transferred my files from my old xp computer to a brand new 7. but the files won't open. They appear to be saved in wordpad?

What kind of files? And what kind of problem?

It sounds like you can open all of them but get them in WordPad. This would almost certainly be due to the file associations not being set on your system - the system doesn't know how to open a .doc file.

Also, did you just move the HDD, or did you backup / restore or copy files? This has an affect on access rights. All the ACL entries from your old machine will refer to non-existent logins on the new installation, so there won't be read access until you edit the access control information.

Give us more detail and we can help.

The issue is not Win 7 or XP, you have programs intalled on XP that you don't on Win 7. You probably need to install MS Office on your Win 7 computer or OpenOffice for a free solution. The reason your documents show up as WordPad is becuase it can open .doc files if Office is not installed, but only ones formatted pretty simply.

It's like bying a new car, driving home, and saying "Hey, I had my kids in the old car, where are they now?".