amd intel price war

jackjoson1205

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
im looking forward to building my new system but people keep telling me wait till the price war, wait till the prices drop. me be 16 and not having alot of money i want to get the best bang for my buck. I plan on getting enuff money around october 5th to fund the system im building but i want to know if the prices will have droped by then or will i have to wait intill december-early 07

Dns

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
You shouldn`t wait until december or october , because in winter the prices go up again:) , you should buy your sistem till the end of the summer, after that in my opinion prices will go high again....

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Just another opinion, but if you can, I'd wait until early next year like February or so. New technologies will have been out long enough for prices to come down, and post-holiday time period is usually good for deals as well.

What are you going to be using the system for, and how much money will you have to spend? When you get the money together, do some research, put together your wish list, post it here, and you will get lots of advice. Until then, it's pure speculation.
The one thing you can absolutely count on in 3 months is someone will advise you to wait 3 months. :lol:

cubicleslave

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The one thing you can absolutely count on in 3 months is someone will advise you to wait 3 months. :lol:

I know you must be saying that glibly. There are 2 kinds of people:

A. People who tell you to keep waiting a little longer to buy, because prices are always dropping and you'll get a better deal if you wait.

B. People who tell you to buy "right now" because if you keep waiting for the best deal, you'll have to buy right before you die, so there can't be a better deal.

I would say that your comment is aimed at people in group A. However, the interesting part is that the people in group B have pretty much shut up, or have gone hiding at this time. This is because the Mother of All Price Wars is about to begin, and that doesn't happen every day. It sounds like there will be shock and awe involved in this war. Two things are happening that are kind of unique historically: Intel has a lot of old product on hand which everyone knows is not nearly as good as what's coming very soon, and which they need to clear out of inventory. And Intel is very hungry to regain lost market share.

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
funny part is that although intel might get its marketshare back temporarily, it will lose alot of money doing it. conroe is not going to be out in large enough numbers to offset the huge losses intel will suffer on its pentium ds. intel already had to lower the prices significantly compared to amd's now overpriced processors. comparatively though, x2s will probably fill a niche between the conroes and the pentium ds in terms of price, so amd will lose less money than intel in the dual core price war.
now, people are going to say, well conroe will cost only 2xx for the 6300. well yeah, who the hell says that youre gonna get one though? for one, 2xxx is per 1000 units, two there is going to be a huge markup on conroes no matter how low intel prices them. three, dell/hp/compaq/emachines/gateway/boutiques will all get first dibbs. so what does that mean for us? no conroes... conroes will only account for 25% of intel's shipments by the end of 06, so the real competition will still be between pentium d and x2, i would love to be wrong though...