Using PC a a phone to dial a POTS line? Server Version?

Last response: in Networking
March 13, 2005 10:09:26 PM

I'm looking for software that will allow me to use my PC as a phone and use
the POTS/Analog line at my home to dial out on.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to have a Server Version of this. To have a
PC on the network that you make a connection to and then can use it to dial
out via a locally connected phone line.

I will be traveling to China and would like to be able to connect to the
Server machine back at my office and place local calls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott<-=
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:09:27 PM

Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for software that will allow me to use my PC as a phone and use
> the POTS/Analog line at my home to dial out on.
>
> Ultimately I'd like to be able to have a Server Version of this. To have a
> PC on the network that you make a connection to and then can use it to dial
> out via a locally connected phone line.
>
> I will be traveling to China and would like to be able to connect to the
> Server machine back at my office and place local calls.

The easiest way would be to buy a Sipura SPA-3000, which you can connect
between your LAN and the phone jack and be done with it.

http://www.sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm

Other than that, unless you are really looking for a project, I'd recommend
just using Skype or something.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

I think your best bet is a hardware solution at home. You dial using SIP
from China (to your home here), and use Transit out, or local call
forwarding, which allows you to forward incoming calls to your SIP adapter
or phone to your mobile phone or PSTN phone of your choice. This means your
PC at home need not be running.
http://sipphone.com/fx200/
http://store.sipphonestore.com/

See also the SIPphone minis for making SIP calls using a traditional phone
set rather than a PC for calling.

If you want to use your PC, there are numerous SIP software solutions. (for
initiating the SIP call from China)

Pepperoni

!