SP2 is "Protecting" me in Outlook Express

I use Outlook Express on this desktop -- it works and I'm too cheap to
buy the full featured version.

A lot of my e-mail is commercial, by invitation, and includes photos
and other graphics. Now that I'm up-to-date with SP2, these messages
all start with "some pictures have been blocked to help prevent the
sender from identifying your computer." Shucks, I'm sure that every
spammer in the country already knows my computer better than I do.

Is there a way I can disable this "protection"?

Casey

From within Outlook Express go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, and
click on the SECURITY tab.

Thanks for the guide. Maybe less secure, but a whole lot more
convenient.

Casey

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:58:36 -0700, "Abel Diaz"

>From within Outlook Express go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, and
>click on the SECURITY tab.

Casey,
To answer your original question.
1. In OE> TOOLS> Options> Read Tab> Uncheck Read messages in Plain Text.
2. In OE> TOOLS> Options> Security tab:
a. Uncheck> Do not allow attachments....
b. Uncheck> Block Images...

Make sure your PC is behind some type of firewall and that your antivirus program is up to date.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

and all this time I thought I had the full version........ :)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:46:56 +1000, "Touch Base" <animals@thezoo.com>
wrote:

>"I use Outlook Express on this desktop -- it works and I'm too cheap to
>buy the full featured version."
>
>and all this time I thought I had the full version........ :)

MS would have us believe the only proper way to read mail and news is
with Outlook. Okay...

Casey

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Outlook 97 was available for download for free from MS site for a couple
months (or so) guess in 97 or 98.
On the other hand, I don't think there is a mentally heathy human who pays
$100 or so for MS## Outlook Retail - didn't see it anymore in stores,
actually
Michael

In news:vov6l019u3mkehatfq4bfu04e1b811nqbh@4ax.com,
Casey Donovan <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> typed:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:46:56 +1000, "Touch Base"
> <animals@thezoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"I use Outlook Express on this desktop -- it works and I'm too
>>cheap
>>to buy the full featured version."
>>
>>and all this time I thought I had the full version........ :)
>

> MS would have us believe the only proper way to read mail and
> news is
> with Outlook. Okay...

Not at all. First of all, with respect to reading Mail, Outlook
and Outlook Express are very similar. Outlook's advantages are
that it adds Personal Information Manager facilities, such as
Calendar, Task List, Contact Manager, etc.

And with respect to reading news, Outlook isn't even a choice.
Outlook doesn't do news at all. What reads in the title bar as
"Microsoft Outlook Newsreader" is nothing but Outlook Express.

It isn't really that Outlook is the full version of Outlook
Express; they are two different products, with different sets of
capabilities. Personally I use both: Outlook as my PIM, and for
E-mail; Outlook Express as my newsreader.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Casey Donovan wrote:
> MS would have us believe the only proper way to read mail and news is
> with Outlook. Okay...

Only - you have to have Outlook Express or some other third party
application to use the newsgroups.

--
<- Shenan ->

Outlook works for mail, yes, but it can't read news. It uses OutlookExpress
for that.
Outlook comes with MS Office

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> kirjoitti viestissä

Casey Donovan wrote:

>A lot of my e-mail is commercial, by invitation, and includes photos
>and other graphics. Now that I'm up-to-date with SP2, these messages
>all start with "some pictures have been blocked to help prevent the
>sender from identifying your computer." Shucks, I'm sure that every
>spammer in the country already knows my computer better than I do.

In its Tools - Options - Security there is a 'Block Pictures in HTML
email'. Be warned - this protects against a serious danger if you
should open some spam email by accident. Those innocent pictures can in
fact conceal a very nasty phone home spyware

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:13:00 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:vov6l019u3mkehatfq4bfu04e1b811nqbh@4ax.com,
>Casey Donovan <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> typed:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:46:56 +1000, "Touch Base"
>> <animals@thezoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"I use Outlook Express on this desktop -- it works and I'm too
>>>cheap
>>>to buy the full featured version."
>>>
>>>and all this time I thought I had the full version........ :)
>>

>> MS would have us believe the only proper way to read mail and
>> news is
>> with Outlook. Okay...
>

>Not at all. First of all, with respect to reading Mail, Outlook
>and Outlook Express are very similar. Outlook's advantages are
>that it adds Personal Information Manager facilities, such as
>Calendar, Task List, Contact Manager, etc.
>
>And with respect to reading news, Outlook isn't even a choice.
>Outlook doesn't do news at all. What reads in the title bar as
>"Microsoft Outlook Newsreader" is nothing but Outlook Express.
>
>It isn't really that Outlook is the full version of Outlook
>Express; they are two different products, with different sets of
>capabilities. Personally I use both: Outlook as my PIM, and for
>E-mail; Outlook Express as my newsreader.

Thanks for the corrections. I never considered either one for use as
a newsreader, so that's my excuse for not knowing that Outlook isn't
one. I've used Agent more or less forever.

Casey

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:13:00 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
>>In news:vov6l019u3mkehatfq4bfu04e1b811nqbh@4ax.com,
>>Casey Donovan <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> typed:
>>
>>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:46:56 +1000, "Touch Base"
>>> <animals@thezoo.com>

>>> MS would have us believe the only proper way to read mail and
>>> news is
>>> with Outlook. Okay...
>>

>>Not at all. First of all, with respect to reading Mail, Outlook
>>and Outlook Express are very similar. Outlook's advantages are
>>that it adds Personal Information Manager facilities, such as
>>Calendar, Task List, Contact Manager, etc.
>>
>>And with respect to reading news, Outlook isn't even a choice.
>>Outlook doesn't do news at all. What reads in the title bar as
>>"Microsoft Outlook Newsreader" is nothing but Outlook Express.
>>
>>It isn't really that Outlook is the full version of Outlook
>>Express; they are two different products, with different sets
>>of
>>capabilities. Personally I use both: Outlook as my PIM, and for
>>E-mail; Outlook Express as my newsreader.
>
> Thanks for the corrections. I never considered either one for
> use as
> a newsreader, so that's my excuse for not knowing that Outlook
> isn't
> one. I've used Agent more or less forever.

You're welcome. Many people prefer Agent to Outlook Express, but
I'm somewhat unusual: I started out with Agent, then switched to
Outlook Express because I preferred it.

Please reply to the newsgroup