Internet Access From Limited Accounts

I originally set up my computer with several administrator accounts, but I
read somewhere that you should not access the internet from an administrator
account.

What I want to do is change one of my administrator accounts to a limited
account so that I can use that account to access the internet.

The problem is, that whenever I change an account from an administrator
account(which is configured succesfully to connect to the internet) to
limited account, I can no longer gain access to the internet.

Seems like a catch 22 situation Does it really matter if you connect to the
internet from a administrator account?

I am using XP SP2, can anyone offer me any advice?

Thankyou
Ant
8 answers Last reply
More about internet access limited accounts

    I should have added to my original post that I am using a broadband
    connection, connecting via the Local Area Network adaptor.

    "ant_e" wrote:

    > I originally set up my computer with several administrator accounts, but I
    > read somewhere that you should not access the internet from an administrator
    > account.
    >
    > What I want to do is change one of my administrator accounts to a limited
    > account so that I can use that account to access the internet.
    >
    > The problem is, that whenever I change an account from an administrator
    > account(which is configured succesfully to connect to the internet) to
    > limited account, I can no longer gain access to the internet.
    >
    > Seems like a catch 22 situation Does it really matter if you connect to the
    > internet from a administrator account?
    >
    > I am using XP SP2, can anyone offer me any advice?
    >
    > Thankyou
    > Ant

    The reason you have heard that you shouldn't connect to
    the Internet with an administrator account is because
    that poses a security risk. An administrator account has
    full/unrestricted access to the whole system. Therefore,
    if you contract a virus/worm/trojan while online, that
    infection will also have unrestricted access to your
    whole system. I personally use an account with admin
    privileges but I have my firewall turned on, an antivirus
    program running(updated daily), and I never download
    anything I didn't ask for. It's really up to you whether
    or not you feel you are comfortable enough to use an
    administrator account online. Hope this helps.

    Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change a User Account

    "ant_e" <ante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I should have added to my original post that I am using a broadband
    > connection, connecting via the Local Area Network adaptor.
    >
    > "ant_e" wrote:
    >
    >> I originally set up my computer with several administrator accounts, but
    >> read somewhere that you should not access the internet from an
    >> administrator
    >> account.
    >>
    >> What I want to do is change one of my administrator accounts to a limited
    >> account so that I can use that account to access the internet.
    >>
    >> The problem is, that whenever I change an account from an administrator
    >> account(which is configured succesfully to connect to the internet) to
    >> limited account, I can no longer gain access to the internet.
    >>
    >> Seems like a catch 22 situation Does it really matter if you connect to
    >> the
    >> internet from a administrator account?
    >>
    >> I am using XP SP2, can anyone offer me any advice?
    >>
    >> Thankyou
    >> Ant

    Unfortunately this doesn't answer the problem. I have been doing this and
    changing an account from administrator to limited prevents me from gaining
    access to the Internet.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change a User Account

    Thanks for the info Abel. It seems strange that Microsoft have made it
    'difficult' to configure a limited account to access the internet given the
    information you have provided about the potential effects of viruses on the
    system etc.

    I am in a similar situation to you in that I have a firewall installed, and
    have a similar attitude toward downloading. I just thought it would be
    prudent to close every possible avenue of vulnerability.

    Perhaps Microsoft should consider providing the choice of more user account
    types configureable by the administrator, i.e. 'limited with internet access'.

    ant_e wrote:
    : Unfortunately this doesn't answer the problem. I have been doing
    : this and changing an account from administrator to limited prevents
    : me from gaining access to the Internet.
    :
    : "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    :
    :: Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change a User Account

    Does your broadband connect have monitor program running? If you provide
    some info you may find some help.
    TonyS

    No monitor program just the standard Windows Local Area Connection to
    open/close and check the status of the connection.

    As far as I am aware the only thing that changes between the connection is
    working and when it is not is the account status. I don't delete or move any
    files or re-configure my connection in any way.

    ant_e wrote:
    : No monitor program just the standard Windows Local Area Connection to
    : open/close and check the status of the connection.
    :
    : As far as I am aware the only thing that changes between the
    : connection is working and when it is not is the account status. I
    : don't delete or move any files or re-configure my connection in any
    : way.

    Ok. Just checking. Windows does permit limited accounts access to the
    internet. Have you posted any networking or connectivity newsgroups?
    TonyS
    :
    : "TonyS" wrote:
    :
    :: ant_e wrote:
    ::: Unfortunately this doesn't answer the problem. I have been doing
    ::: this and changing an account from administrator to limited prevents
    ::: me from gaining access to the Internet.
    :::
    ::: "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    :::
    :::: Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change a User Account
    ::
    :: Does your broadband connect have monitor program running? If you
    :: provide some info you may find some help.
    :: TonyS

Internet Access Internet Windows XP