Exceeded my available power?

Intrepidus

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I understand how power supplies work on a very minimal level. Recently, since I added a new 120mm panaflo fan, my computer has been kind to tell me that my 6800U is not getting enough power...this used to happen once or twice, but now happens constantly. So, I'm listing my devices in some hope that someone can tell me if such a configuration exceeds the amount of power I have available:

Power Supply: NZXT PRC-550w

1 ASUS P5GDC Motherboard
1 P4 640 (Prescott)
1 CD/DVD +-R/RW
1 CD/DVD ROM
1 Floppy
2 Corsair Value Select 1gb DDR400 PC3200
1 MSI GeForce 6800U 256mb
2 WD2000 200gb HDDs
1 WD2500 250gb HDD
1 Audigy ZS2 Soundcard
1 120mm fan with UV + inverter
1 80mm fan with UV + inverter
1 120mm fan panaflo low-output

So any thoughts on if I've actually exceeded the available power? I can't imagine I did...but I don't know what else to think.

Intrepidus

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
That's just it though, I don't think it is fine. I get a "not enough power" error from Nvidia on every boot, and the graphics card tones itself down, making it impossible to play any games.

sailer

Splendid
That's just it though, I don't think it is fine. I get a "not enough power" error from Nvidia on every boot, and the graphics card tones itself down, making it impossible to play any games.

Pengwin is right, your power supply should be large enough. I have read that the 6800U was greedy for power, especially in an SLI rig, but one shouldn't cause a problem. Your power supply might not be putting out what is claims though. Try to measure the volts and amps coming out and see if they are within spec. You might do well to step up to an Antec, Seasonic, or Emermax if your PSU is failing.

Intrepidus

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Try to measure the volts and amps coming out and see if they are within spec.

How do I do that? Not sure how to measure things like that.

Also, the PSU is warrantied...so I can get a replacement on its way and see if that fixes the problem.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
go for it get a replacement.

if they dont ask for the old PSU back u could use 1 PSU to power system + HDD's and the 2nd one for the vid card and anyother componenets