pc-to-pc voip: unsuccessful so far

I have been testing, as a newbie, some voip applications/providers.
First, Skype on both Linux and Windows, and everything was working fine most
of the time.
Then I have been trying the SIP applications.
Me and a friend of mine (in two different european locations, both with DSL)
have registered first both with sipphone.com and then both on babble.net,
using X-lite on both sides, or X-lite and Kphone, or Kphone and the babble
software.
And in all cases, although we were able to establish a phone connection, the
voice quality was not enough good to have a conversation (we could hear
some vocal sounds, but nothing else).
In the case of babble it is pretty strange, as I am able to make phone call
through it (using X-lite or Kphone, DSL or even an analog modem) to normal
telephones. But I have never succeeded in making pc-to-pc calls.
Can anybody suggest me how to solve this strange thing, or at least how to
go in the right direction to solve it?
3 answers Last reply
More about voip unsuccessful

    Mark Smith <nospam@nullism.nu> wrote in

    > In the case of babble it is pretty strange, as I am able to make phone
    > call through it (using X-lite or Kphone, DSL or even an analog modem)
    > to normal telephones. But I have never succeeded in making pc-to-pc
    > calls. Can anybody suggest me how to solve this strange thing, or at
    > least how to go in the right direction to solve it?

    Do you or the receiving party have a router (i.e. Linksys router?). If so,
    you'll need to open some ports up to allow for incoming connections.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    Lucas Tam wrote:

    > Do you or the receiving party have a router (i.e. Linksys router?). If so,
    > you'll need to open some ports up to allow for incoming connections.

    99% sure not (100% sure on my side of the connection)

    Start with a simple test using an ethernet without the Internet. A
    cross-over cable, or a small hub/switch will do. Ignore SIP
    registration, and just call to the phone number at the other IP
    address (on your same subnet).

    For example:
    - First PC running softphone at extension 100 on IP 192.168.1.100
    - Second PC running softphone at extension 101 on IP 192.168.1.101
    - First PC calls sip:101@192.168.1.101
    - Second PC should "ring"; then you answer, talk, hang-up
    - Second PC calls sip:100@192.168.1.100
    - First PC should "ring"; then you answer, talk, hang-up

    Once you get the above running, then try fancy stuff like routing
    across the internet. At least then you will know you have a base
    level of function (and how good or bad your audio sounds :-).

    HTH,

    JDB

VPN VoIP Networking