Help! How do I cheaply get voice going in to my Asterisk b..

Last response: in Networking
March 14, 2005 12:21:15 PM

Hi,

I hope you guys can help me. I've recently embarked upon setting up an
Asterisk box after reading this article:
http://techdatapros.com/asterisk/

I have bought the Digium Wildcard X100P FXO card which takes care of
connecting the Asterisk box to my analog phone line, but it doesn't
help me in terms of getting a real (hard) phone connected to the
Asterisk system.

I've done a lot of reading so far, and as far as I understand it
(please correct me if I am wrong) I need one of the following:
* ATA box
* FXP card
* Hard phone

At the moment I have a cordless analog phone at home, and this is what
I would like to use ultimately (rather than a soft phone). I don't
mind buying a different cordless phone if I need to get one that
supports VoIP, but I would like to do this reasonably cheaply and end
up with a reasonable phone.

This has made me think that getting an ATA box or FXP card would
probably be the best thing to do as I could then plug in a reasonably
good cheap normal analog wireless phone. The problem is though, that
although the X100P was quite cheap I can't find anything cheap to do
this.

Could someone please help me?

I live in the UK if that has any bearing on the stuff I might need to
buy.

Thanks
-Rob

More about : cheaply voice asterisk

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:53:53 PM

Robert Hulme wrote:
> Hi,

[snip].

> I've done a lot of reading so far, and as far as I understand it
> (please correct me if I am wrong) I need one of the following:
> * ATA box
> * FXP card
> * Hard phone

[snip]

> I live in the UK if that has any bearing on the stuff I might need to
> buy.
>
> Thanks
> -Rob

The W100P card is an FXO only card, you should have looked at the
TDM400P which will give you 4 options for FXO or FXS modules.

BT <=> [ FXO - Asterisk - FXS ] <=> Hardphone

The other reason for choosing the TDM400P is that the W100P do not
support BT CallerID without a special patch that is not supported by
Digium.

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_tdm400p2

/Soren
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:08:03 AM

robert.hulme@gmail.com (Robert Hulme) writes:

>I've done a lot of reading so far, and as far as I understand it
>(please correct me if I am wrong) I need one of the following:
>* ATA box
>* FXP card

FX_S_ card

>* Hard phone

It appears you know of "soft phones" too. I've had some success with
iaxComm.
http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/
It's useful for experimenting (and adding friends easily).

>At the moment I have a cordless analog phone at home, and this is what
>I would like to use ultimately (rather than a soft phone). I don't
>mind buying a different cordless phone if I need to get one that
>supports VoIP, but I would like to do this reasonably cheaply and end
>up with a reasonable phone.

I think you'll want to stick with an analog cordless phone and an ATA
for now. The wireless VoIP phones I've seen so far have at least one
huge shortcoming (often price).

>This has made me think that getting an ATA box or FXP card would
>probably be the best thing to do as I could then plug in a reasonably
>good cheap normal analog wireless phone. The problem is though, that
>although the X100P was quite cheap I can't find anything cheap to do
>this.

I'd go (and have gone) with a Sipura SPA-3000. It's both an FXO and
an FXS with some handy features between the two. It's been *so* much
better for me than all of the Digium stuff I've bought.

--kyler
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:50:19 PM

> > I've done a lot of reading so far, and as far as I understand it
> > (please correct me if I am wrong) I need one of the following:
> > * ATA box
> > * FXP card
> > * Hard phone
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > I live in the UK if that has any bearing on the stuff I might need to
> > buy.
> The W100P card is an FXO only card, you should have looked at the
> TDM400P which will give you 4 options for FXO or FXS modules.
>
> BT <=> [ FXO - Asterisk - FXS ] <=> Hardphone
>
> The other reason for choosing the TDM400P is that the W100P do not
> support BT CallerID without a special patch that is not supported by
> Digium.
>
> http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_tdm400p2
>
> /Soren
What if you want an ISDN card? Is there aimple card to do this? Or should I
go for ISDN4linux?
!