Heat problems with my new system...

arangast

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Hi guys,

I've just put together a brand new system and am having some heat issues with it. Here's the spec first of all:

Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora (1x front 120mm intake fan, 2x rear 120mm exhaust fans all at 1000rpm)
Mobo: Asus M2N32-Sli Deluxe (BIOS 0302)
CPU: AMD 4800X2 using stock HSF and Akasa pro-grade 5022 thermal compound
RAM: 2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 6400 C4
GFX: Leadtek Geforce 7950GX2
PSU: Xclio X14 600W (2 exhaust fans)
HDD: Western Digital 320GB
SND: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

For reference, my room temperature is about 25-28C (a hot attic room :() and I should mention I've not had any stability problems so far (after lots of game playing and 8.5hrs stress testing on prime95).

At idle:
CPU - 42-45C
Mobo - 44C
GFX - 60-65C

Under load:
CPU - 58-62C
Mobo - 51C
GFX - 70-80C

I'm unsure as to which temperatures to rely on for the cpu as well - the bios, PC Probe II and AI Booster all report the same value, but Everest and Speed-fan report another one (37 idle, 60-65 load) - this one will sit constantly at 37 then when prime95 is run instantly hit 60, so is this the on-die sensor???

Taking the side off and pointing a desktop fan at it helps considerably (Idle: CPU - 33C, Mobo - 34C, GFX - 50C) but I really thought the setup would have been enough to keep it cool on its own :(

I am holding out some vague hope that the temperature readings are screwed - as it certainly feels cooler than my old PC even though its reporting much higher temperatures...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring these temperatures down a bit? I'm thinking about grabbing an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 pro or a Scythe Miné but will this make a big enough impact?

Thanks in advance,
Stu

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi guys,

I've just put together a brand new system and am having some heat issues with it. Here's the spec first of all:

Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora (1x front 120mm intake fan, 2x rear 120mm exhaust fans all at 1000rpm)
Mobo: Asus M2N32-Sli Deluxe (BIOS 0302)
CPU: AMD 4800X2 using stock HSF and Akasa pro-grade 5022 thermal compound
RAM: 2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 6400 C4
GFX: Leadtek Geforce 7950GX2
PSU: Xclio X14 600W (2 exhaust fans)
HDD: Western Digital 320GB
SND: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

For reference, my room temperature is about 25-28C (a hot attic room :() and I should mention I've not had any stability problems so far (after lots of game playing and 8.5hrs stress testing on prime95).

At idle:
CPU - 42-45C
Mobo - 44C
GFX - 60-65C

Under load:
CPU - 58-62C
Mobo - 51C
GFX - 70-80C

I'm unsure as to which temperatures to rely on for the cpu as well - the bios, PC Probe II and AI Booster all report the same value, but Everest and Speed-fan report another one (37 idle, 60-65 load) - this one will sit constantly at 37 then when prime95 is run instantly hit 60, so is this the on-die sensor???

Taking the side off and pointing a desktop fan at it helps considerably (Idle: CPU - 33C, Mobo - 34C, GFX - 50C) but I really thought the setup would have been enough to keep it cool on its own :(

I am holding out some vague hope that the temperature readings are screwed - as it certainly feels cooler than my old PC even though its reporting much higher temperatures...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring these temperatures down a bit? I'm thinking about grabbing an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 pro or a Scythe Miné but will this make a big enough impact?

Thanks in advance,
Stu
Nice system. :wink: 4 120 mm fans sounds good, but only turning 1000 rpm means they aren't moving as much air as most would think. Maybe 50-55CFM/each. the temps aren't too far out of line. Might
be worth it to check and make sure the HS is making good contact with the IHS. I'm sure that 7950 is dumping a vast amount of heat into your case. Might be a good idea to put a PCI slot cooler next to it, to try and vacate some of the heat it puts out. If JUST removing the case panel lowers temps, you may want to put some 120mm's in the back that are a little more powerful. GL :)

arangast

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Thanks for the input - yeah the temperature drops 2-3 degrees when it's just the side off. I've already tried reapplying the thermal compound onto the IHS but it didn't help things...

Would a PCI slot cooler be best above of below the 7950? If it should be above that could cause some trouble cos the graphics card would have to go on the lower PCI-E x16 slot and be squashed up against the Audigy.

This one seems okay - 35.1CFM @ 25.2dba http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=130269

As for the 120mm fans there's the Antec Tricool with a max output of 78CFM @ 37dba or an XClio at 96CFM @ 40dba - would you recommend 1 (and keeping 1 of my current ones) or 2 of them (it could get a bit noisy)?

As I said before I'll pick up either an Arctic Freezer ot Scythe Mine as well (the Arctic is ~£10 cheaper) - it's between these two because they're the cheapest AM2 compatible ones that are in stock at the two (UK) e-tailors I'll be buying from.

Cheers,
Stu

arangast

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Unfortunately there aren't any water cooling blocks for the 7950's atm :(

I probably will experiment with water cooling in a few months when I try out some more serious overclocking, but for now I'll just stick to air.

I'd thought about adding a side fan but I don't really want to start hacking away at my brand new shiny case, so it will be a last resort - before that I may try some of the front fan optimisations here.

I think I'll go ahead and order 2 XClio 120mm, one can replace the front fan and the other replace the bottom rear fan (next to the cpu and right on top of the 7950): http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=375878

I'll grab a Scythe Mine as well, the reviews I've read indicate it performs better than the Zalman 9500 and it's £10 less as well...

Finally one of those PCI exhaust blowers can go right at the bottom of the case, out of the way of the 7950's intake fan so it doesn't interfere.

If anyone thinks these choices are a big mistake speak up soon as I'll be ordering in the next hour or two.

Cheers,
Stu

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
A new heatsink fan is not going to solve the problem. It just blows the air around the case making the ambient temp high.
Slot coolers are good just below the fan on the vc. Thermaltake has a 90cfm 120mm fan with a spead control on the pci slot. I just bought one and can adjust it when I need it most. I would rather it was on the front but they dont look very good. It was about $12 and moves a ton of air.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
A new heatsink fan is not going to solve the problem. It just blows the air around the case making the ambient temp high.
Slot coolers are good just below the fan on the vc. Thermaltake has a 90cfm 120mm fan with a spead control on the pci slot. I just bought one and can adjust it when I need it most. I would rather it was on the front but they dont look very good. It was about $12 and moves a ton of air.
Finally we agree on something. :wink:

arangast

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Okay cool, sorry if I'm being a bit of a noob I just never had any problems with my old system (2400XP slightly o/c'd with a 6800GT all working nicely with 1 80mm fan!) so I didn't have to move into the world of cooling solutions :p

I've just heard there's a new PC hardware store opened in my town so I'll head over there tomorrow morning to see what they've got before ordering online.

BTW a question about the Thermaltake - how long was the cable to the PCI fan controller?

The XClio ones have a similar spec on paper so I may just stick with that choice http://www.xclio.com/product_c_02.php but which I go for will depend on who I order from...

Cheers,
Stu