Problems scanning and printing slides

I am trying to scan in 35 mm slides on my Epson RX 500 scanner. My three
choices are basically no color correction, Epson's ICM control, or use color
control.
The first two options produce very dark scans, like snow scenes where the snow
looks grey. The color control option seems much better than the others,
although it
produces pretty flat looking colors. I am scanning at anywheres from 300 dpi,
and
up, with no improvement. The scans look better on the monitor, but appear
washed
out when printing them. I have been using Canon and Kodak heavy matte finish
paper. Is there something in this process that is contributing to poor color
rendition?
I am using ink from atlantic inkjet, who seem very reliable. The Epson RX 500
is a
color photo printer using 5 color and 1 black cartridges.

Sherwin D.
7 answers Last reply
More about problems scanning printing slides

    Greetings Sherwin,

    More than likely the snow exposures you made were underexposed due to the
    subject matter. The camera tries to make everything about 18% reflectance of
    gray. If it sees a scene that has little but snow and sky, it compensates
    and underexposes. You need to compensate when taking your pictures.

    Other than that, use the software controls that come with the machine and
    edit the images. There is likely an auto option that will enhance the scan
    once it is complete. If you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you can
    use an automated feature that will allow you to adjust each image in a group
    without your direct management. Check it out. You should get excellent
    results with the Kodak paper.

    Good luck,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am trying to scan in 35 mm slides on my Epson RX 500 scanner. My three
    > choices are basically no color correction, Epson's ICM control, or use
    color
    > control.
    > The first two options produce very dark scans, like snow scenes where the
    snow
    > looks grey. The color control option seems much better than the others,
    > although it
    > produces pretty flat looking colors. I am scanning at anywheres from 300
    dpi,
    > and
    > up, with no improvement. The scans look better on the monitor, but appear
    > washed
    > out when printing them. I have been using Canon and Kodak heavy matte
    finish
    > paper. Is there something in this process that is contributing to poor
    color
    > rendition?
    > I am using ink from atlantic inkjet, who seem very reliable. The Epson RX
    500
    > is a
    > color photo printer using 5 color and 1 black cartridges.
    >
    > Sherwin D.

    You will have problems with getting accurate colour when printing, simply
    because you are not using Colour Management.

    Colour Management, when set up correctly, will give an almost exactly
    correct print "First Time"

    Your RX500 drivers will have installed ICC Colour Profiles on your computer,
    or will have them built into its own "Standalone" system. Your Media drop
    down list will only show Epson products, so the the Profiles being used in
    the Colour Management (ICM) will be for Epson Papers and Epson Inks, and
    will be of no value using other papers and non-epson ink. Kodak do show
    settings on their website for using their papers in Epson Printers (using
    Epson Ink), but I would doubt that Canon do.

    You should still be able to get good quality, accurate colour prints, but
    not at "First Print". You will need to do some test prints, and adjust the
    Contrast, Density and Colour Settings in the Printer Driver until you get a
    correct Print.

    I would think that the cost of paper and ink used in all the necessary
    testing, might well be more than the cost of using Epson Inks and Epson
    Papers.

    Some Paper Manufacturers will supply ICC profiles for their Papers in Epson
    Printers (using Epson Ink), or you could have Profiles for your
    Printer-Paper-Ink combination made for you, but they would cost upwards of
    £50 each.

    I fail to see the point of buying a good machine, and then making false
    economies which prevent it from doing the job it was designed to do.

    I have no connection with Epson. I do use one of their Printers (1290), but
    do not always use Epson Paper.

    Roy G

    In article <42436507.77000DE0@comcast.net>, sherwindu@comcast.net
    (sherwindu) wrote:

    > I am trying to scan in 35 mm slides on my Epson RX 500 scanner.

    Suggest you try VueScan, available at:
    http://www.hamrick.com/files/vuesca81.exe

    It's the best scanning software I've come across and gives extensive
    control over all scanning functions. Streets ahead of Epson's TWAIN
    driver.

    Jon.

    "sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am trying to scan in 35 mm slides on my Epson RX 500 scanner. My three
    > choices are basically no color correction, Epson's ICM control, or use
    color
    > control.
    > The first two options produce very dark scans, like snow scenes where the
    snow
    > looks grey.

    Sorry if this is a silly question but...

    I think the user guide says to remove the white reflective mat. Did you
    remember to do this?

    "sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to scan in 35 mm slides on my Epson RX 500 scanner. My three
    > choices are basically no color correction, Epson's ICM control, or use
    > color
    > control.
    > The first two options produce very dark scans, like snow scenes where the
    > snow
    > looks grey. The color control option seems much better than the others,
    > although it
    > produces pretty flat looking colors. I am scanning at anywheres from 300
    > dpi,
    > and
    > up, with no improvement. The scans look better on the monitor, but appear
    > washed
    > out when printing them. I have been using Canon and Kodak heavy matte
    > finish
    > paper. Is there something in this process that is contributing to poor
    > color
    > rendition?
    > I am using ink from atlantic inkjet, who seem very reliable. The Epson RX
    > 500
    > is a
    > color photo printer using 5 color and 1 black cartridges.
    >
    > Sherwin D.

    When you say 'anywheres from 300dpi' what do you mean? 300ppi is the
    standard resolution for scanning prints, but is nowhere near good enough for
    slides. Slides have a maximum resolution equivalent to about 4000dpi so you
    should be trying to scan somewhere up in that region (at least in the
    1000's) According to Amazon your scanner has max. 2,400dpi resolution - so
    use that.

    As I don't have your scanner/printer I can't comment on the automatic
    controls - though I do have a Epson 2480 which probably isn't wildly
    different. I generally turn off all automatic functions and use levels in
    Photoshop to correct levels, contrast etc, but having said that the
    automatic functions seem to work fairly well in the Epson scanner software
    for me.

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:40 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
    Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) wrote:

    >In article <42436507.77000DE0@comcast.net>, sherwindu@comcast.net
    >(sherwindu) wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to scan in 35 mm slides on my Epson RX 500 scanner.
    >
    >Suggest you try VueScan, available at:
    >http://www.hamrick.com/files/vuesca81.exe

    Has anyone used Silverfast? It's more expensive than VueScan, but
    some of the reviews I've read says that it's more powerful.
    http://www.silverfast.com/show/productindex/en.html

    Thanks.

    >It's the best scanning software I've come across and gives extensive
    >control over all scanning functions. Streets ahead of Epson's TWAIN
    >driver.

    ANYTHING would be an improvement on the Epson TWAIN driver!!!
  7. Quote:

[...]

Printers Epson Peripherals