SP2 and Harddisk performance??

erkanerdem

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2004
I had a asus p4v800-vm Before,and i have taken on it 90MB/s in hdd tests,but i have now asus p4r800-vm new board,and i can not get the 90MB/s,i just got 32MB/s, but when i didn`t install the SP2 i can get the 90MB/s at same HDD and same connection without any hardware changes. and i think i will not install the sp2,because it slows performance my HDD.how can i prevent this slow down?anyone idea? but i can get the greatest results with my old board at same HDD with SP2, this is very interesting? why it ca not give same result now with sp2?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I had a asus p4v800-vm Before,and i have taken on it 90MB/s in hdd tests,but i have now asus p4r800-vm new board,and i can not get the 90MB/s,i just got 32MB/s, but when i didn`t install the SP2 i can get the 90MB/s at same HDD and same connection without any hardware changes. and i think i will not install the sp2,because it slows performance my HDD.how can i prevent this slow down?anyone idea? but i can get the greatest results with my old board at same HDD with SP2, this is very interesting? why it ca not give same result now with sp2?
Make sure your HD's are set for DMA, not PIO.Sometimes it will default back to PIO mode. GL :)

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Like, 1Tanker said, DMA settings are the most likely culprit. Check for DMA settings in both BIOS and Windows, but it definately sounds like it's the Windows setting..

However, I'd like to know what HDD you have and what tool you used to get that 90MB/s figure, since even top-of-the-line drives (raptor 150 and newest SCSI320) have difficulty getting those kind of numbers if we're dealing with straight from-disk reads.