digital_priest

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I'm a total noob building my first system and thought that the Asus A8N5X would be one of the easier places to start. I don't need high power, not up to overclocking yet, just need to build something that works.

I've pretty carefully put the cpu (3200+ Venice) into the motherboard, inserted the ram (2GB over two sticks) and the video card (XFX 6800GT). I screwed in the HD and the CD and then wired it all together, including the power switch and LED, reset switch, speaker, and HD LED. I did skimp on the actual case: in trying to save a little money I used a simple/cheap steel case from the back of the school's closet.

When I switch on the power supply, the motherboard LED lights up green. And when I hit the power button on the front, all the fans start spinning and the CD spins. The hard drive does nothing. And that's it. Nothing else happens. No beeps, no video signal, nothing.

I cleared the CHMOS, but I don't know what else to do. Is there some noobish mistake? Bad motherboard?
Thanks.

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Well, that is kinda of weird. Now how do you have the HD plugged into the power supply, is it an IDE drive or a SATA drive, cause SATA drives seem to have two power options, one is the normal molex connector, the other is a flatter power plug (the difference I dont know)

Also what is the power rating on the power supply and what else are you trying to power with it? (like DVD-ROM, how many system fans, Floppy drive, Video card etc..)

Are you also sure the HD is plugged into the IDE or SATA channel 1?

digital_priest

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
power supply is 450. All I have in it is the motherboard, video card, HD, and CD. The HD is in SATA 1 (though I tried all of them), but it only has the SATA flat power connector (and the power supply has them as well). Could it be the case speaker isn't working and I'm not hearing any beeps?

sailer

Splendid
power supply is 450. All I have in it is the motherboard, video card, HD, and CD. The HD is in SATA 1 (though I tried all of them), but it only has the SATA flat power connector (and the power supply has them as well). Could it be the case speaker isn't working and I'm not hearing any beeps?

It is possible for the case speaker not to work. Double check all the connectors (speaker, HDD led, etc) to make sure you have them placed correctly. I've done it myself where I didn't have the lead in connectors on the correct pins and had much frustration until I carefully, with the motherboard layout diagram in front of me, checked each and every connector and had to move something.

On the hardrive, make sure you have both the power line and the line to the motherboard correctly installed. I helped out someone once who had used both the flat connector and the molex power connector but did not hook up the line from the HDD to the motherboard. Also check the BIOS to make sure that you have the correct SATA ports enabled. If you have enabled 1-2 and have the line connected to 3-4, or vice verse, there won't be any communication between the HDD and the motherboard.

Just thoughts of what to check. It could be something else, even a bad motherboard.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
If you don't get a video signal, check and see if your external power for your video card is connected. Another thing is to try to re-insert the memory modules and video card to ensure a good contact/connection which is a common problem on no-POSTs

digital_priest

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
It is possible for the case speaker not to work. Double check all the connectors (speaker, HDD led, etc) to make sure you have them placed correctly. I've done it myself where I didn't have the lead in connectors on the correct pins and had much frustration until I carefully, with the motherboard layout diagram in front of me, checked each and every connector and had to move something.
I've triple checked them against both the printing on the motherboard and the diagram in the manual.
On the hardrive, make sure you have both the power line and the line to the motherboard correctly installed. I helped out someone once who had used both the flat connector and the molex power connector but did not hook up the line from the HDD to the motherboard. Also check the BIOS to make sure that you have the correct SATA ports enabled. If you have enabled 1-2 and have the line connected to 3-4, or vice verse, there won't be any communication between the HDD and the motherboard.
There is no molex connection on my HD, just the SATA flat connection and the flat SATA-style power connection. Both have been reconnected several times in all four SATA plugs on the motherboard.

Is there a way to check the BIOS without the motherboard working?

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Remove everything from the case , check your stand-offs, try to boot it outside of the case with everything connected.
Cheap cases have been known to short motherboards.
Good luck.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I know this sounds silly and I'm not trying to be insulting but you did say you were a noob so...

Did you remember to put the heatsink and fan on your cpu. You just say "I've pretty carefully put the cpu (3200+ Venice) into the motherboard" and then go on to talk about your RAM.

I wouldn't expect your hard drive to spin up immediately and the motherboard should at least post even with no hard drive. So I don't expect a problem there.

Check the capacitors around your cpu socket, check that they aren't bulging at the top. This can be a problem and does result in booting problems.

Check that you put the 4 pin power into the motherboard (near the cpu socket).

Try testing each of the RAM modules on their own, there might be an error with these.

sailer

Splendid
There is no molex connection on my HD, just the SATA flat connection and the flat SATA-style power connection. Both have been reconnected several times in all four SATA plugs on the motherboard.

Is there a way to check the BIOS without the motherboard working?

No way to check the BIOS that I know of if the machine won't start the BIOS/Post screens If you haven't tried it yet, turn the computer on and as you do that, start hitting the F8 key. That should take you into the BIOS setup. If you get into the BIOS, enable both the 1-2 and 3-4 SATA connections.

At this moment, it sounds more and more like a dead motherboard. If all else fails, try what MasterLee wrote, taking the motherboard out and attempt to boot the machine there. If you replace the motherboard, still do the same. If it boots up outside, then check the standoffs and look for anything else that might cause a short.[/quote]

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
...start hitting the F8 key. That should take you into the BIOS setup. If you get into the BIOS, enable both the 1-2 and 3-4 SATA connections.

Wouldnt that be hit the DEL key? I thought to enter BIOS setups it is always the DEL key during post. Am I wrong? F8 enters safe mode after an OS is installed. <-- wrong?

cowofdoom

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
i just built my first rig w/ that mobo... sry you are having troubles...

As for your probs.... those connectors for the pc speaker, etc, in the corner are a pain in the big backside if you know what I mean. I plugged them in 5 times before I had them correct and my front headphone and microphone ports still don't work. I think I got them backwards, but anyway.

Is you 12v line installed too? I almost forgot that... Its just northwest of the CPU socket.

sailer

Splendid
Sithlord said:
Sailer said:
...start hitting the F8 key. That should take you into the BIOS setup. If you get into the BIOS, enable both the 1-2 and 3-4 SATA connections.
Wouldnt that be hit the DEL key? I thought to enter BIOS setups it is always the DEL key during post. Am I wrong? F8 enters safe mode after an OS is installed. <-- wrong?

The Delete key is one way of getting into the BIOS. F8 can get you there, depending on the motherboard manufacturor, or it can get you to safe mode. I'm trying ideas that come to mind, which may or may not work. I know this may seem frustrating to you, but bear in mind that none of us have your machine in front of us so we can see exactly what's happening. We can toss out ideas, good or bad, but not sure cures.

sailer

Splendid
i
As for your probs.... those connectors for the pc speaker, etc, in the corner are a pain in the big backside if you know what I mean. I plugged them in 5 times before I had them correct and my front headphone and microphone ports still don't work. I think I got them backwards, but anyway.t.

Think that's bad? One time years ago I put in a new motherboard and nothing worked. I tried for a couple hours to figure out what was wrong, pulling wires out and reseating them, still nothing. Then I noticed that I was looking at the motherboard from one side and holding the wiring diagrams from the opposite. Turned around the motherboard, plugged in the wires, and it started right up. Like the old joke of getting lost because a person was holdng a map upside down, I had done it. Now I pay better attention, lest the dunce cap come looking for me again. Still get caught from time to time on other things, but I try not to make the same mistake twice.

cowofdoom

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
i
As for your probs.... those connectors for the pc speaker, etc, in the corner are a pain in the big backside if you know what I mean. I plugged them in 5 times before I had them correct and my front headphone and microphone ports still don't work. I think I got them backwards, but anyway.t.

Think that's bad? One time years ago I put in a new motherboard and nothing worked. I tried for a couple hours to figure out what was wrong, pulling wires out and reseating them, still nothing. Then I noticed that I was looking at the motherboard from one side and holding the wiring diagrams from the opposite. Turned around the motherboard, plugged in the wires, and it started right up. Like the old joke of getting lost because a person was holdng a map upside down, I had done it. Now I pay better attention, lest the dunce cap come looking for me again. Still get caught from time to time on other things, but I try not to make the same mistake twice.

rofl. at least I was holding the diagram correctly. :D

cowofdoom

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Is you 12v line installed too? I almost forgot that... Its just northwest of the CPU socket.
That was it! I warned you I was a total noob. :wink:
We're up and running.
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Glad to hear. :D