Autopilot

Hi Everyone

Is it possible to use autopilot and let it land the planes instead of
landing yourself??

thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about autopilot

    amangill? lol....

    errr yes it is, on some planes, however i never trust it as it often slams
    the front wheel into the ground, causing it to break off.

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:44:19 +1000, Cameron wrote:

    > Is it possible to use autopilot and let it land the planes instead of
    > landing yourself??

    No... FS9 does not have a "Land Me" feature. The closest you could get
    would be some high-quality (read: payware!) airliners with a CAT III
    autopilot system installed.

    Bill

    I let AP and Auto-throttle take my 737-400 right to the threshold of
    the runway, there I disengage the IAS hold and throttle down. When the
    plane is no more than 25-50' from touchdown I disengage the AP and
    flare ever-so-slightly. The plane lands picture perfect almost every
    time.
    -Greg

    Bill Leaming wrote:
    > ... FS9 does not have a "Land Me" feature...

    I know that's what the docs say.
    But Autopilot seems to land me to ILS
    just fine in anything from Cessna
    to 737. Just hit the approach button.
    It will bring me down in altitude even
    if I have altitude set and still activated.
    Only thing I have to manually control
    is throttle.

    Lumpy
    --
    In Your Ears for 40 Years
    http://www.lumpymusic.com

    aakermit wrote:
    > I let AP and Auto-throttle take my 737-400 right to the threshold
    > of the runway, there I disengage the IAS hold and throttle down.
    > When the plane is no more than 25-50' from touchdown I disengage
    > the AP and flare ever-so-slightly. The plane lands picture
    > perfect almost every time.

    I tried doing that, as the docs suggest.
    But the moment I disengage the AP, the plane
    suddenly gains altitude, sometimes to stall point,
    or it turns hard left or right and crashes.

    Should disengaging the AP keep all the aleirons,
    rudder etc all in the same position?

    Lumpy

    What is your airspeed in the 737 when you disengage? It should be
    around 140 KIAs.
    Greg

    i can get the 737-400 to follow the ILS, however it never lands the right
    way! If i feeling bored, i let the AP take it in till about 500feet, then
    take over. By that time the plane is trimmed/set almost perfectly, and
    doesnt need much correction other than getting the wheels down in the
    correct order and under 250ft/min.

    Hell i did one in 80ft/min the other day, i didnt even know id touched the
    ground! lol

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    "Lumpy" <lumpy@digitalcartography.com> wrote in message
    > Bill Leaming wrote:
    >> ... FS9 does not have a "Land Me" feature...
    >
    > I know that's what the docs say.
    > But Autopilot seems to land me to ILS
    > just fine in anything from Cessna
    > to 737. Just hit the approach button.
    > It will bring me down in altitude even
    > if I have altitude set and still activated.
    > Only thing I have to manually control
    > is throttle.
    >

    > Lumpy
    > --
    > In Your Ears for 40 Years
    > http://www.lumpymusic.com

    Does the Cessna have an approach button? The Cessna autopilot just hold the
    controls where you left them doesn't it? ie: if you engage AP whilst in a
    dive, it'll hold the dive etc.
    Chris.

    --
    I'm not always right,
    But I'm never wrong!

    "Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:44:19 +1000, Cameron wrote:
    >
    > > Is it possible to use autopilot and let it land the planes instead of
    > > landing yourself??
    >
    > No... FS9 does not have a "Land Me" feature. The closest you could get
    > would be some high-quality (read: payware!) airliners with a CAT III
    > autopilot system installed.

    Not necessarily.

    I use an iFDG Airbus A319 with a panel by Marco Spada which is based on Eric
    Marciano's A320 panel which autolands perfectly using the FMC and all for
    the cost of registered copy of NavData to use the realCRT gauges.

    --

    Simon

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:33:08 -0700, Lumpy wrote:

    > Bill Leaming wrote:
    >> ... FS9 does not have a "Land Me" feature...
    >
    > I know that's what the docs say.
    > But Autopilot seems to land me to ILS
    > just fine in anything from Cessna
    > to 737. Just hit the approach button.
    > It will bring me down in altitude even
    > if I have altitude set and still activated.
    > Only thing I have to manually control
    > is throttle.

    If you want to believe that a CAT I landing system is the same as a CAT III
    system, of course you are free to do so. Nevertheless, there is no "Land
    Me" as there was in FS2k.

    Bill

    Bill Leaming wrote:
    > If you want to believe that a CAT I landing
    > system is the same as a CAT III system, of
    > course you are free to do so. Nevertheless,
    > there is no "Land Me" as there was in FS2k.

    Well pardon me for not being on your tech
    level. I don't know what the heck Cat I or III
    is. I'm simply stating that the darn thing
    seems to land me. I'm not a pilot.

    Whatever it is/does, it seems to set me down
    on the runway without crashing. Whether that's
    "land me" or something else, I have no idea.

    Thanks for your encouragement.

    Lumpy

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:50:59 +0100, Simon Pocock wrote:

    >> No... FS9 does not have a "Land Me" feature. The closest you could get
    >> would be some high-quality (read: payware!) airliners with a CAT III
    >> autopilot system installed.
    >>
    > Not necessarily.
    >
    > I use an iFDG Airbus A319 with a panel by Marco Spada which is based on Eric
    > Marciano's A320 panel which autolands perfectly using the FMC and all for
    > the cost of registered copy of NavData to use the realCRT gauges.

    And paying for Tony D'Ambrosio's "readCRT gauges" is different from payware
    how?

    Bill

    > i can get the 737-400 to follow the ILS, however it never lands the right
    > way! If i feeling bored, i let the AP take it in till about 500feet, then
    > take over. By that time the plane is trimmed/set almost perfectly, and
    > doesnt need much correction other than getting the wheels down in the
    > correct order and under 250ft/min.
    >
    > Hell i did one in 80ft/min the other day, i didnt even know id touched the
    > ground! lol

    Doesn't anyone take on the task of flying the whole ILS, from GS
    intercept to landing? Not only would you need to do it that way when
    taking a check ride from your local GADO, you would also get a great
    feeling of a job well done. :)

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    I haven't read through this but it looks like an AutoLanding tutorial.
    Look in the ZIP for the tut...

    Hawker Siddeley Trident package
    File Name trident.zip

    --