Night Scene 737NG "OH SH**T handle explanation

GREGORY

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:29:08 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Folks,
>
>Thre are two, one for the pilot and one for the co-pilot :) There ain't
>any explanation for them :) Nothing in the manual so we proably have it as
>right as anybody HA!
>
>http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Oh_ShT_handles.jpg

Awww.. now you're getting down-right silly!! they're simply to grab
onto when climbing out of the pilot (and copilot) seats.. and when
climbing into the seats as well. Those are some tight quarters.

-G

Arthur

Likely true, but wouldn't you think they'd retract into the ceiling a bit
when not in use? I would hate to have them hanging in my face during a long
trip.

Arthur

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message

> Awww.. now you're getting down-right silly!! they're simply to grab
> onto when climbing out of the pilot (and copilot) seats.. and when
> climbing into the seats as well. Those are some tight quarters.
>
> -G

GREGORY

I think some are hinged.. and don't you get tired of that
rear-view mirror clogging up windshield space!!

-g

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:30:14 -0400, "Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Likely true, but wouldn't you think they'd retract into the ceiling a bit
>when not in use? I would hate to have them hanging in my face during
>a long
>trip.
>

>Arthur
>
>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> Awww.. now you're getting down-right silly!! they're simply to grab
>> onto when climbing out of the pilot (and copilot) seats.. and when
>> climbing into the seats as well. Those are some tight quarters.
>>
>> -G

Arthur

Uhhhhh...........no.

> I think some are hinged.. and don't you get tired of that
> rear-view mirror clogging up windshield space!!
>

>>> -G

Hey, This may be the ultimae use for the OS bar :)

http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/UltimateUse.jpg

"mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Thre are two, one for the pilot and one for the co-pilot :) There ain't
> any explanation for them :) Nothing in the manual so we proably have it
> as right as anybody HA!
>
> http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Oh_ShT_handles.jpg

You know, it is funny but I did not notice these things during any of my
flights.
Mike
"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:29:08 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Folks,
>>
>>Thre are two, one for the pilot and one for the co-pilot :) There ain't
>>any explanation for them :) Nothing in the manual so we proably have it
>>as
>>right as anybody HA!
>>
>>http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Oh_ShT_handles.jpg
>>

> Awww.. now you're getting down-right silly!! they're simply to grab
> onto when climbing out of the pilot (and copilot) seats.. and when
> climbing into the seats as well. Those are some tight quarters.
>
> -G

GREGORY

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:51:23 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>You know, its funny but I didnt notice these things during any of my flights.
>Mike

me neither.. here's my left-seat handle..
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Boeing_handle.jpg (98k)

so ya want to see the whole `beast panel'.. on final into LAX..
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/whole_panel.jpg (190k)

That handle is rather large.. but not in the way really. Is it ever
enjoyable to fly the ol' Boeing in FlightSim. Only wish the young guys
had a chance to catch a ride on her for real. Those were the days..!!
It was `technology from our space program.' { in that newsreel voice }

-G

p.s. yep the panel cap isnt shaped right but chopped for better view..

>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:29:08 GMT, "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com>
>> brought the following to our attention:
>>
>>>Folks,
>>>
>>>Thre are two, one for the pilot and one for the co-pilot :) There ain't
>>>any explanation for them :) Nothing in the manual so we proably have it
>>>as right as anybody HA!
>>>
>>>http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Oh_ShT_handles.jpg
>>>

>> Awww.. now you're getting down-right silly!! they're simply to grab
>> onto when climbing out of the pilot (and copilot) seats.. and when
>> climbing into the seats as well. Those are some tight quarters.
>>
>> -G

No, definitely not. Could you imagine to stow, release, stow again, release
again etc. thoughout the day? :))))
And think about weight penalty. But I must also add that on other A/C the
handles are in a somewhat more decent place as e.g. in the Airbuses, where
it is buried in the ceiling.
--
Oskar Wagner
(retired Captain)

Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

"Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Likely true, but wouldn't you think they'd retract into the ceiling a bit
> when not in use? I would hate to have them hanging in my face during a
> long trip.
>

> Arthur
>
> "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>> Awww.. now you're getting down-right silly!! they're simply to grab
>> onto when climbing out of the pilot (and copilot) seats.. and when
>> climbing into the seats as well. Those are some tight quarters.
>>
>> -G

HA HA HA! ...How quaint, Dallas! The perfect touch (and maybe much
needed )

I can tell we probably relate to those dice. I had some in a '57 Chevy few
decades ago :)

Mike
> SWL
>
> (screaming with laughter)
>
> But, you forgot the most important thing...
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/Oh_ShT_handlesDicePlus.jpg
>
> Dalli

Hell, you did good! I just had a Rochester two barrel in the old Chevy.
The automatic transimission was a TWO SPEED Power Glide, I believe. It
shifted one time at 15 mph and it easily ran past 100 in the second gear.
But how would I know :)

Nice sound too. In fact, darned nice with the 283 V8 and straight exhaust
pipes.

> "mikepic"
>> I can tell we probably relate to those dice. I had some in a '57 Chevy
> few
>> decades ago :)
>
> Mag wheels, Hearst shifter and Tuck & Roll upholstery too?
>
> :)
>
> Dallas

dallas

"mikepic"
> Hell, you did good! I just had a Rochester two barrel in the old Chevy.
> The automatic transimission was a TWO SPEED Power Glide,

Did you own it in 1957 as a new car? Or was this one of those "American
Graffiti" 1960's things?

Dallas

Nope, did not own it as a new car. I picked one up about 15 years ago. It
was a 4 door hardtop and red body. Nice looking car. Drove great and had
the engine re-built. Ran great and had that classic deep throaty sound.
That 283 was a very smooth running engine. It looked good on the street and
turned a lot of heads as it went by. That's the fun part. Had to sell it
about 10 years ago. I put 50,000 miles on the thing!

Did you have one?