Video Old High 8 tapes capture to PC what hardware?

NewbieinAZ

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I am building a new PC A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec P180B, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT, Hauppage Win TV-PVR 500, Pinnacle studio Plus. I need to transfer old High 8 camcorder video tapes to PC, capture video and burn to DVD. What do I need to capture the old video to on my PC so I can burn to DVD?

I would image that you need RCA plugs to connect the composite out from the camcorder to the composite in of your Hauppage. There should be an audio out on the camcorder as well. I think you should be able to use either a RCA cable or 3/8" plug to connect to your sound card.

NewbieinAZ

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Thank you for replying!! I just wasn't sure the Hauppauge would do what I needed. I have that card for recording TV and such and didn't know that I could use that same card for my old Hi-8 video capture too.

Have a great day!

I think you should be able to use either a RCA cable or 3/8" plug to connect to your sound card
the PVR 500 has its own sound inputs in RCA(its all hardware...not saying this to be a smart a$$....just will not work plugged into sound card...in this case...on a software card....it would....)

still the same...should do it....

and after you go dual tuners to play with for TV

happauge_pvr500mce_3.jpg

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
There are a lot of converter boxes. First, I'd get an external, it's a lot easier with the connections. When looking at reviews what's most important is that the audio/video are synced during capture. This seems to be the biggest problem you run into when capturing analogue vs digital. Boxes run anywhere from around $50 up to around $300, I think for a Canopus, which is usually considered the best of the best. I have a DataVideo DAC 100 that has worked perfectly but it requires firewire so you'd have to buy a card if your mobo doesn't have.

TRENDING THREADS