warehouse club warning

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one of
the pearl.

Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Pearl
Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.

Here's Ilford's response:

"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the Sam`s
Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media in
the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very different
for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the media
via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed over
to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards is
very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
generally. "

Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two "very
different" products.

Sigh....

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:28 GMT, SamSez wrote:

> I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
> Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
> their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
> Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one of
> the pearl.
>
> Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
> different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Pearl
> Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
> finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.
>
> Here's Ilford's response:
>
> "Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the Sam`s
> Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
> dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media in
> the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
> channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very different
> for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the media
> via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed over
> to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards is
> very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
> version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
> generally. "
>
> Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two "very
> different" products.
>
> Sigh....

Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?

Pete

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
>dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
>the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the

This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
(always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
example.

-Joel

Marvin

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
>>dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
>>the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the
>

> This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
> Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
> specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
> competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
> (always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
> example.
>
> -Joel

That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name designer may look
similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences in the material and
the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
>>dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
>>the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the
>>

>This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think)

Costco sells the Kirkland (store) brand. While we think it is made by
Ilford, they make no claim to that. The nice thing about Costco is that
they have a return policy unmatched by other. Sams club is Walmart. I
do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
advantage of doing business with them.

In article <cuW0e.1557$FN4.1490@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The nice thing about Costco is that
> they have a return policy unmatched by other.

They do have a nice return policy. So does Sam's and WalMart.

> Sams club is Walmart. I
> do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
> advantage of doing business with them.

You'd be surprised at how Costco deals with HR issues.

Pete wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:28 GMT, SamSez wrote:
>

>>I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
>>Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
>>their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
>>Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one of
>>the pearl.
>>
>>Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
>>different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Pearl
>>Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
>>finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.
>>
>>Here's Ilford's response:
>>
>>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the Sam`s
>>Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
>>dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media in
>>the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
>>channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very different
>>for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the media
>>via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed over
>>to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards is
>>very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
>>version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
>>generally. "
>>
>>Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two "very
>>different" products.
>>
>>Sigh....
>>

>Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
>Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?

Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

In article <p_Y0e.15400$C47.12380@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
> based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
> Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

Nope. The tricks aren't from Walmart. They're from the paper
manufacturer.

If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
sticker, etc.

I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.

Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.

When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
the same stuff is inside.

I don't expect to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup that I
got from Sam's Club and find dog food inside. If that happens, you
can't blame Walmart.

Get off your Walmart high horse. Hey, here's a thought: go investigate
Costco's employment practices.

Be prepared for what you'll find.

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
> expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
> sticker, etc.
>
> I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
> IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
>
> Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
> what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
>
> When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
> the same stuff is inside.

did the wrappers look similar,
or were the product numbers the same?

many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <cuW0e.1557$FN4.1490@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>The nice thing about Costco is that
>>they have a return policy unmatched by other.
>

> They do have a nice return policy. So does Sam's and WalMart.
>

>>Sams club is Walmart. I
>>do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
>>advantage of doing business with them.
>

> You'd be surprised at how Costco deals with HR issues.

Interesting. Wal-Mart has about the best profit sharing arrangement in
US industry. I wouldn't feel too sorry for their employees.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In Ilfords email they said the packaging was differenrt. However, if
the name was the same or very similar I agree with you on that. Walmart
is not a very nice company to work for. I seem many reports on their
practices. Customers do save money buy there are other places to save
and shop. Just look at all of the law suits against them.

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> >>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
> >>dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
> >>the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the
> >

> > This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
> > Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
> > specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
> > competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
> > (always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
> > example.
> >
> > -Joel
>
> That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name
designer may look
> similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences
in the material and
> the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.

I would claim that this is RARELY the case for other kinds of products -- at
least when they are from the SAME maker and LABELED with the SAME LABEL.

SamSez wrote:
> "Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message

>>>This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
>>>Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
>>>specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
>>>competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
>>>(always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
>>>example.
>>>
>>>-Joel
>>
>>That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name
>
> designer may look
>
>>similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences
>
> in the material and
>
>>the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.
>

> I would claim that this is RARELY the case for other kinds of products -- at
> least when they are from the SAME maker and LABELED with the SAME LABEL.

Very often a large chain of stores will order a product, such as a
computer, built to their specifications, and it will have a model number
specific to that chain. This prevents direct comparisons of pricing
between store chains, and makes claims of matching prices on 'identical
merchandise' a safe bet. A wise purchaser keeps aware of such ploys,
and does his homework, examines products, and KNOWS what he is buying.
To do less courts disappointment.

--

> Pete wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:28 GMT, SamSez wrote:
> >

> >>I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
> >>Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
> >>their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
Photo
> >>Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one
of
> >>the pearl.
> >>
> >>Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
> >>different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
Pearl
> >>Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
> >>finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.
> >>
> >>Here's Ilford's response:
> >>
> >>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the
Sam`s
> >>Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
> >>dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media
in
> >>the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
> >>channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very
different
> >>for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the
media
> >>via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed
over
> >>to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards
is
> >>very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
> >>version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
> >>generally. "
> >>
> >>Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two
"very
> >>different" products.
> >>
> >>Sigh....
> >>

> >Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
> >Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?
> >

> Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
> based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
> Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
>
> >Pete

In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT give it
a different name. That is my point.

> In Ilfords email they said the packaging was differenrt. However, if
> the name was the same or very similar I agree with you on that. Walmart
> is not a very nice company to work for. I seem many reports on their
> practices. Customers do save money buy there are other places to save
> and shop. Just look at all of the law suits against them.
>
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
> >In article <p_Y0e.15400$C47.12380@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> > measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
> >>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
> >>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
> >>

> >Nope. The tricks aren't from Walmart. They're from the paper
> >manufacturer.
> >
> >If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
> >expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
> >sticker, etc.
> >
> >I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
> >IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
> >
> >Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
> >what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
> >
> >When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
> >the same stuff is inside.
> >
> >I don't expect to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup that I
> >got from Sam's Club and find dog food inside. If that happens, you
> >can't blame Walmart.
> >
> >Get off your Walmart high horse. Hey, here's a thought: go investigate
> >Costco's employment practices.
> >
> >Be prepared for what you'll find.

As noted in my original post, the name [all NINE WORDS in the name] were
IDENTICAL.

"Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message news:42447358.388A@cox.net...
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> >
> > If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
> > expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
> > sticker, etc.
> >
> > I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
> > IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
> >
> > Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
> > what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
> >
> > When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
> > the same stuff is inside.
>
> did the wrappers look similar,
> or were the product numbers the same?
>
> many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.

The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.

I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
drugs, I dare you...]

Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
Ilford's website.

As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?

SamSez wrote:

> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message news:42447358.388A@cox.net...
> > Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> > >
> > > If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
> > > expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
> > > sticker, etc.
> > >
> > > I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
> > > IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
> > >
> > > Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
> > > what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
> > >
> > > When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
> > > the same stuff is inside.
> >
> > did the wrappers look similar,
> > or were the product numbers the same?
> >
> > many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
>
> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
>
> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
> drugs, I dare you...]
>
> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
> Ilford's website.
>
> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?

the same.
ask sams why they mislabeled an ilford product.
note that both are 250/260 g/m weight
sams does not define brightness.
ilford does.

SamSez wrote:
> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message news:42447358.388A@cox.net...
>
>>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>>
>>>If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
>>>expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
>>>sticker, etc.
>>>
>>>I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
>>>IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
>>>
>>>Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
>>>what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
>>>
>>>When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
>>>the same stuff is inside.
>>
>>did the wrappers look similar,
>>or were the product numbers the same?
>>
>>many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
>

> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
>
> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
> drugs, I dare you...]
>
> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
> Ilford's website.
>
> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?

Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.

--

Crownfield wrote:
> SamSez wrote:

>>>did the wrappers look similar,
>>>or were the product numbers the same?
>>>
>>>many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
>>
>>The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
>>not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
>>
>>I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
>>sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
>>drugs, I dare you...]
>>
>>Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
>>Ilford's website.
>>
>>As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
>>Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
>>Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
>

> the same.
> ask sams why they mislabeled an ilford product.
> note that both are 250/260 g/m weight
> sams does not define brightness.
> ilford does.
I hate to tell you this, but Sam's doesn't make, or pack, the paper.
They specify the paper specs, and the supplier supplies them packaged as
specified, and at the agreed upon price. I seriously doubt Sam's even
examines actual shipped material to verify quality (they SHOULD).
So, who do you blame here?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Ron Hunter wrote:

> SamSez wrote:
>
>> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> did the wrappers look similar,
>>> or were the product numbers the same?
>>>
>>> many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
>>

>> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very
>> similar but
>> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
>>
>> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that
>> level of
>> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with
>> prescription
>> drugs, I dare you...]
>>
>> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second
>> window on
>> Ilford's website.
>>
>> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
>> Range Smooth
>> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional
>> Inkjet
>> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
>>

> Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.

Considering that Walwart (Sam's) is notorious for flexing their discount
muscles with their suppliers, it seems that both could be complicit in
this deception. Walwart demands lesser quality (to force a lower price)
and Ilford complies because they're being courted by a retail discounter
with hundreds of stores full of bargain hunters and staffed by underpaid
wanks.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

SamSez wrote:
> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Pete wrote:

> Photo

> of

> Pearl

> Sam`s

> in

> different

> media

> over

> is

> "very

>>>Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
>>>Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?
>>>

>>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
>>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
>>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
>>

>>>Pete
>>>

> In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT give it
> a different name. That is my point.

All merchants do that kinds of things. However, intentionally using the
same name, just different packaging, with lower quality materials, is
certainly a foul play. It's mostly Iiford's mistake (I prefer to call it
a mistake, rather than trick) by not using a different name. I doubt the
purchasing people (and customers) in Sams' Club really know any
difference between different papper as long as it's from a brand name
manufacturer.

SamSez wrote:

>>Pete wrote:

>Photo

>of

>Pearl

>Sam`s

>in

>different

>media

>over

>is

>"very

>>>Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
>>>Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?
>>>

>>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
>>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
>>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
>>

>>>Pete
>>>

>In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT give it
>a different name. That is my point.

In that case they misrepresented the product. Many times over a few
year period the same product changes packaging but the name is the
same. You then have a right to assume that the product is identical. I
have on many occassions see the same product on the shelf with different
packaging during the change over. Sometimes the product says it is new
and improved. Sometimes it is and other times it is just marketing
bullshit.

Ron Hunter wrote:

> SamSez wrote:
>
>> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> did the wrappers look similar,
>>> or were the product numbers the same?
>>>
>>> many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
>>

>> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very
>> similar but
>> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
>>
>> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that
>> level of
>> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with
>> prescription
>> drugs, I dare you...]
>>
>> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second
>> window on
>> Ilford's website.
>>
>> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
>> Range Smooth
>> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie
>> Professional Inkjet
>> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
>>

> Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.

I can't see that. These stores provide the manufacturers with
specifications that lead into a contract. Big stores have departments
that inspect the goods and see that the products they buy do meet the
specifications they pay for. If Ilford was doing that kind of stuff
then I am sure they would intermittently short their own dealers and
sooner or later they would get caught.

> SamSez wrote:
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>Photo

>>of

>>Pearl

>>Sam`s

>>in

>>different

>>media

>>over

>>is

>>"very

>>>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
>>>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
>>>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

>>In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT
>>give it
>>a different name. That is my point.
>>

> In that case they misrepresented the product. Many times over a few year
> period the same product changes packaging but the name is the same. You
> then have a right to assume that the product is identical. I have on many
> occassions see the same product on the shelf with different packaging
> during the change over. Sometimes the product says it is new and
> improved. Sometimes it is and other times it is just marketing bullshit.

You'll find the only 'rights' you have relate to the product being as
advertised. If the paper sold as "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes" was as described *on the
pack* then there's no comeback.

The fact it's not the same paper as sold elsewhere is irrelevant.

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Ivor Floppy wrote:

> You'll find the only 'rights' you have relate to the product being as
> advertised. If the paper sold as "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
> Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes" was as described *on the
> pack* then there's no comeback.
>
> The fact it's not the same paper as sold elsewhere is irrelevant.

We realise that Walwart believes this, the issue is we don't.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'