warehouse club warning

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one of
the pearl.

Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Pearl
Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.

Here's Ilford's response:

"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the Sam`s
Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media in
the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very different
for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the media
via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed over
to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards is
very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
generally. "

Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two "very
different" products.

Sigh....
121 answers Last reply
More about warehouse club warning
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:28 GMT, SamSez wrote:

    > I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
    > Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
    > their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    > Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one of
    > the pearl.
    >
    > Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
    > different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Pearl
    > Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
    > finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.
    >
    > Here's Ilford's response:
    >
    > "Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the Sam`s
    > Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
    > dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media in
    > the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
    > channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very different
    > for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the media
    > via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed over
    > to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards is
    > very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
    > version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
    > generally. "
    >
    > Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two "very
    > different" products.
    >
    > Sigh....

    Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
    Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?

    Pete
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    >"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
    >dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
    >the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the

    This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
    Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
    specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
    competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
    (always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
    example.

    -Joel

  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    >>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
    >>dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
    >>the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the
    >

    > This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
    > Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
    > specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
    > competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
    > (always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
    > example.
    >
    > -Joel

    That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name designer may look
    similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences in the material and
    the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

    >>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
    >>dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
    >>the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the
    >>

    >This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think)

    Costco sells the Kirkland (store) brand. While we think it is made by
    Ilford, they make no claim to that. The nice thing about Costco is that
    they have a return policy unmatched by other. Sams club is Walmart. I
    do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
    advantage of doing business with them.

    >,
    >Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
    >specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
    >competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
    >(always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
    >example.
    >
    >-Joel

    >Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <cuW0e.1557$FN4.1490@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > The nice thing about Costco is that
    > they have a return policy unmatched by other.

    They do have a nice return policy. So does Sam's and WalMart.

    > Sams club is Walmart. I
    > do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
    > advantage of doing business with them.

    You'd be surprised at how Costco deals with HR issues.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Pete wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:28 GMT, SamSez wrote:
    >

    >>I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
    >>Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
    >>their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    >>Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one of
    >>the pearl.
    >>
    >>Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
    >>different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Pearl
    >>Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
    >>finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.
    >>
    >>Here's Ilford's response:
    >>
    >>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the Sam`s
    >>Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
    >>dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media in
    >>the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
    >>channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very different
    >>for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the media
    >>via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed over
    >>to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards is
    >>very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
    >>version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
    >>generally. "
    >>
    >>Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two "very
    >>different" products.
    >>
    >>Sigh....
    >>

    >Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
    >Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?

    Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

    >Pete

  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <p_Y0e.15400$C47.12380@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    > based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    > Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

    Nope. The tricks aren't from Walmart. They're from the paper
    manufacturer.

    If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
    expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    sticker, etc.

    I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.

    Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
    what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.

    When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
    the same stuff is inside.

    I don't expect to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup that I
    got from Sam's Club and find dog food inside. If that happens, you
    can't blame Walmart.

    Get off your Walmart high horse. Hey, here's a thought: go investigate
    Costco's employment practices.

    Be prepared for what you'll find.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    > If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
    > expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    > sticker, etc.
    >
    > I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    > IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
    >
    > Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
    > what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
    >
    > When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
    > the same stuff is inside.

    did the wrappers look similar,
    or were the product numbers the same?

    many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <cuW0e.1557$FN4.1490@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    > measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>The nice thing about Costco is that
    >>they have a return policy unmatched by other.
    >

    > They do have a nice return policy. So does Sam's and WalMart.
    >

    >>Sams club is Walmart. I
    >>do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
    >>advantage of doing business with them.
    >

    > You'd be surprised at how Costco deals with HR issues.

    Interesting. Wal-Mart has about the best profit sharing arrangement in
    US industry. I wouldn't feel too sorry for their employees.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In Ilfords email they said the packaging was differenrt. However, if
    the name was the same or very similar I agree with you on that. Walmart
    is not a very nice company to work for. I seem many reports on their
    practices. Customers do save money buy there are other places to save
    and shop. Just look at all of the law suits against them.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    >In article <p_Y0e.15400$C47.12380@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    >>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    >>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
    >>

    >Nope. The tricks aren't from Walmart. They're from the paper
    >manufacturer.
    >
    >If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
    >expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    >sticker, etc.
    >
    >I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    >IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
    >
    >Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
    >what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
    >
    >When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
    >the same stuff is inside.
    >
    >I don't expect to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup that I
    >got from Sam's Club and find dog food inside. If that happens, you
    >can't blame Walmart.
    >
    >Get off your Walmart high horse. Hey, here's a thought: go investigate
    >Costco's employment practices.
    >
    >Be prepared for what you'll find.

  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
    > Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    > >>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
    > >>dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
    > >>the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the
    > >

    > > This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
    > > Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
    > > specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
    > > competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
    > > (always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
    > > example.
    > >
    > > -Joel
    >
    > That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name
    designer may look
    > similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences
    in the material and
    > the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.

    I would claim that this is RARELY the case for other kinds of products -- at
    least when they are from the SAME maker and LABELED with the SAME LABEL.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    SamSez wrote:
    > "Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message

    >>>This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
    >>>Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
    >>>specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
    >>>competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
    >>>(always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
    >>>example.
    >>>
    >>>-Joel
    >>
    >>That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name
    >
    > designer may look
    >
    >>similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences
    >
    > in the material and
    >
    >>the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.
    >

    > I would claim that this is RARELY the case for other kinds of products -- at
    > least when they are from the SAME maker and LABELED with the SAME LABEL.

    Very often a large chain of stores will order a product, such as a
    computer, built to their specifications, and it will have a model number
    specific to that chain. This prevents direct comparisons of pricing
    between store chains, and makes claims of matching prices on 'identical
    merchandise' a safe bet. A wise purchaser keeps aware of such ploys,
    and does his homework, examines products, and KNOWS what he is buying.
    To do less courts disappointment.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Pete wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:28 GMT, SamSez wrote:
    > >

    > >>I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
    > >>Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
    > >>their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
    Photo
    > >>Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one
    of
    > >>the pearl.
    > >>
    > >>Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
    > >>different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
    Pearl
    > >>Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
    > >>finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.
    > >>
    > >>Here's Ilford's response:
    > >>
    > >>"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the
    Sam`s
    > >>Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
    > >>dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media
    in
    > >>the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
    > >>channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very
    different
    > >>for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the
    media
    > >>via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed
    over
    > >>to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards
    is
    > >>very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
    > >>version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
    > >>generally. "
    > >>
    > >>Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two
    "very
    > >>different" products.
    > >>
    > >>Sigh....
    > >>

    > >Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
    > >Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?
    > >

    > Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    > based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    > Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
    >
    > >Pete

    In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT give it
    a different name. That is my point.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > In Ilfords email they said the packaging was differenrt. However, if
    > the name was the same or very similar I agree with you on that. Walmart
    > is not a very nice company to work for. I seem many reports on their
    > practices. Customers do save money buy there are other places to save
    > and shop. Just look at all of the law suits against them.
    >
    > Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    > >In article <p_Y0e.15400$C47.12380@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > > measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    > >>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    > >>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
    > >>

    > >Nope. The tricks aren't from Walmart. They're from the paper
    > >manufacturer.
    > >
    > >If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
    > >expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    > >sticker, etc.
    > >
    > >I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    > >IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
    > >
    > >Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
    > >what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
    > >
    > >When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
    > >the same stuff is inside.
    > >
    > >I don't expect to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup that I
    > >got from Sam's Club and find dog food inside. If that happens, you
    > >can't blame Walmart.
    > >
    > >Get off your Walmart high horse. Hey, here's a thought: go investigate
    > >Costco's employment practices.
    > >
    > >Be prepared for what you'll find.

    As noted in my original post, the name [all NINE WORDS in the name] were
    IDENTICAL.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message news:42447358.388A@cox.net...
    > Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > >
    > > If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
    > > expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    > > sticker, etc.
    > >
    > > I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    > > IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
    > >
    > > Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
    > > what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
    > >
    > > When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
    > > the same stuff is inside.
    >
    > did the wrappers look similar,
    > or were the product numbers the same?
    >
    > many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.

    The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
    not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.

    I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
    sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
    drugs, I dare you...]

    Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
    Ilford's website.

    As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
    Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
    Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
  16. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    SamSez wrote:

    > "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message news:42447358.388A@cox.net...
    > > Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > > >
    > > > If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
    > > > expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    > > > sticker, etc.
    > > >
    > > > I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    > > > IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
    > > >
    > > > Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
    > > > what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
    > > >
    > > > When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
    > > > the same stuff is inside.
    > >
    > > did the wrappers look similar,
    > > or were the product numbers the same?
    > >
    > > many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
    >
    > The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
    > not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
    >
    > I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
    > sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
    > drugs, I dare you...]
    >
    > Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
    > Ilford's website.
    >
    > As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
    > Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
    > Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?

    the same.
    ask sams why they mislabeled an ilford product.
    note that both are 250/260 g/m weight
    sams does not define brightness.
    ilford does.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    SamSez wrote:
    > "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message news:42447358.388A@cox.net...
    >
    >>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>
    >>>If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
    >>>expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    >>>sticker, etc.
    >>>
    >>>I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    >>>IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
    >>>
    >>>Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
    >>>what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
    >>>
    >>>When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
    >>>the same stuff is inside.
    >>
    >>did the wrappers look similar,
    >>or were the product numbers the same?
    >>
    >>many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
    >

    > The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
    > not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
    >
    > I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
    > sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
    > drugs, I dare you...]
    >
    > Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
    > Ilford's website.
    >
    > As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
    > Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
    > Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?

    Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  18. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Crownfield wrote:
    > SamSez wrote:

    >>>did the wrappers look similar,
    >>>or were the product numbers the same?
    >>>
    >>>many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
    >>
    >>The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very similar but
    >>not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
    >>
    >>I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that level of
    >>sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with prescription
    >>drugs, I dare you...]
    >>
    >>Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second window on
    >>Ilford's website.
    >>
    >>As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth
    >>Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet
    >>Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
    >

    > the same.
    > ask sams why they mislabeled an ilford product.
    > note that both are 250/260 g/m weight
    > sams does not define brightness.
    > ilford does.
    I hate to tell you this, but Sam's doesn't make, or pack, the paper.
    They specify the paper specs, and the supplier supplies them packaged as
    specified, and at the agreed upon price. I seriously doubt Sam's even
    examines actual shipped material to verify quality (they SHOULD).
    So, who do you blame here?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  19. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > SamSez wrote:
    >
    >> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> did the wrappers look similar,
    >>> or were the product numbers the same?
    >>>
    >>> many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
    >>

    >> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very
    >> similar but
    >> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
    >>
    >> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that
    >> level of
    >> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with
    >> prescription
    >> drugs, I dare you...]
    >>
    >> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second
    >> window on
    >> Ilford's website.
    >>
    >> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    >> Range Smooth
    >> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional
    >> Inkjet
    >> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
    >>

    > Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.

    Considering that Walwart (Sam's) is notorious for flexing their discount
    muscles with their suppliers, it seems that both could be complicit in
    this deception. Walwart demands lesser quality (to force a lower price)
    and Ilford complies because they're being courted by a retail discounter
    with hundreds of stores full of bargain hunters and staffed by underpaid
    wanks.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    SamSez wrote:
    > "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Pete wrote:

    > Photo

    > of

    > Pearl

    > Sam`s

    > in

    > different

    > media

    > over

    > is

    > "very

    >>>Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
    >>>Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?
    >>>

    >>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    >>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    >>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
    >>

    >>>Pete
    >>>

    > In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT give it
    > a different name. That is my point.

    All merchants do that kinds of things. However, intentionally using the
    same name, just different packaging, with lower quality materials, is
    certainly a foul play. It's mostly Iiford's mistake (I prefer to call it
    a mistake, rather than trick) by not using a different name. I doubt the
    purchasing people (and customers) in Sams' Club really know any
    difference between different papper as long as it's from a brand name
    manufacturer.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    SamSez wrote:

    >>Pete wrote:

    >Photo

    >of

    >Pearl

    >Sam`s

    >in

    >different

    >media

    >over

    >is

    >"very

    >>>Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
    >>>Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?
    >>>

    >>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    >>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    >>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.
    >>

    >>>Pete
    >>>

    >In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT give it
    >a different name. That is my point.

    In that case they misrepresented the product. Many times over a few
    year period the same product changes packaging but the name is the
    same. You then have a right to assume that the product is identical. I
    have on many occassions see the same product on the shelf with different
    packaging during the change over. Sometimes the product says it is new
    and improved. Sometimes it is and other times it is just marketing
    bullshit.

  22. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > SamSez wrote:
    >
    >> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> did the wrappers look similar,
    >>> or were the product numbers the same?
    >>>
    >>> many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
    >>

    >> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very
    >> similar but
    >> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
    >>
    >> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that
    >> level of
    >> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with
    >> prescription
    >> drugs, I dare you...]
    >>
    >> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second
    >> window on
    >> Ilford's website.
    >>
    >> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    >> Range Smooth
    >> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie
    >> Professional Inkjet
    >> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
    >>

    > Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.

    I can't see that. These stores provide the manufacturers with
    specifications that lead into a contract. Big stores have departments
    that inspect the goods and see that the products they buy do meet the
    specifications they pay for. If Ilford was doing that kind of stuff
    then I am sure they would intermittently short their own dealers and
    sooner or later they would get caught.

  23. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > SamSez wrote:
    >
    >>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>Photo

    >>of

    >>Pearl

    >>Sam`s

    >>in

    >>different

    >>media

    >>over

    >>is

    >>"very

    >>>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
    >>>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    >>>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

    >>In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT
    >>give it
    >>a different name. That is my point.
    >>

    > In that case they misrepresented the product. Many times over a few year
    > period the same product changes packaging but the name is the same. You
    > then have a right to assume that the product is identical. I have on many
    > occassions see the same product on the shelf with different packaging
    > during the change over. Sometimes the product says it is new and
    > improved. Sometimes it is and other times it is just marketing bullshit.

    You'll find the only 'rights' you have relate to the product being as
    advertised. If the paper sold as "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes" was as described *on the
    pack* then there's no comeback.

    The fact it's not the same paper as sold elsewhere is irrelevant.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Ivor Floppy wrote:

    > You'll find the only 'rights' you have relate to the product being as
    > advertised. If the paper sold as "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    > Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes" was as described *on the
    > pack* then there's no comeback.
    >
    > The fact it's not the same paper as sold elsewhere is irrelevant.

    We realise that Walwart believes this, the issue is we don't.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    > SamSez wrote:
    > > "Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message

    > >>That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a
    top-name

    > > designer may look
    > >
    > >>similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are
    differences

    > > in the material and
    > >
    > >>the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.
    > >

    > > I would claim that this is RARELY the case for other kinds of products -- at
    > > least when they are from the SAME maker and LABELED with the SAME LABEL.
    > >

    > Very often a large chain of stores will order a product, such as a
    > computer, built to their specifications, and it will have a model number
    > specific to that chain. This prevents direct comparisons of pricing
    > between store chains, and makes claims of matching prices on 'identical
    > merchandise' a safe bet. A wise purchaser keeps aware of such ploys,
    > and does his homework, examines products, and KNOWS what he is buying.
    > To do less courts disappointment.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    Sorry Ron, but when the name on the box is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL, what more can
    you 'know' short of opening the package? If you bought a box of Kellogg's Corn
    Flakes at a warehouse club, what would YOU expect to be inside -- seriously?
    Something different than what you buy at Piggly-Wiggly? I doubt it.
  26. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> SamSez wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very
    >>> similar but
    >>> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
    >>>
    >>> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that
    >>> level of
    >>> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with
    >>> prescription
    >>> drugs, I dare you...]
    >>>
    >>> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second
    >>> window on
    >>> Ilford's website.
    >>>
    >>> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    >>> Range Smooth
    >>> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie
    >>> Professional Inkjet
    >>> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
    >>>

    >> Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.
    >

    > I can't see that. These stores provide the manufacturers with
    > specifications that lead into a contract. Big stores have departments
    > that inspect the goods and see that the products they buy do meet the
    > specifications they pay for. If Ilford was doing that kind of stuff
    > then I am sure they would intermittently short their own dealers and
    > sooner or later they would get caught.

    And didn't they?
    Sam's stocks thousands of items, many of which change frequently. I
    doubt they examine every shipment of every product to assure that
    quality hasn't been compromised. They rely on customer complaints to
    catch such things.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  27. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> SamSez wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very
    >>> similar but
    >>> not identical, but as we all know, packaging is updated all the time.
    >>>
    >>> I contend that if you are going to call it the same thing -- to that
    >>> level of
    >>> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with
    >>> prescription
    >>> drugs, I dare you...]
    >>>
    >>> Go to the Sams Club website -- look up Ilford. Then open a second
    >>> window on
    >>> Ilford's website.
    >>>
    >>> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    >>> Range Smooth
    >>> Pearl Paper" and Sams Club only lists one "Ilford Galerie
    >>> Professional Inkjet
    >>> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I supposed to expect?
    >>>

    >> Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.
    >

    > I can't see that. These stores provide the manufacturers with
    > specifications that lead into a contract. Big stores have departments
    > that inspect the goods and see that the products they buy do meet the
    > specifications they pay for. If Ilford was doing that kind of stuff
    > then I am sure they would intermittently short their own dealers and
    > sooner or later they would get caught.

    Still Iiford should use a different name when they have that much
    difference in materials. Like many mattress companies selling basically
    the same mattress with different names and patterns. Ilford's liable to
    make such a confusion. I seriously doubt Sams Club would care if it's
    called something else as long as the big Ilford name is there. And most
    people working there and shoppers don't know much about paper, unlike
    us, the educated consumers.
  28. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    leo wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Sounds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end user.
    >>

    >> I can't see that. These stores provide the manufacturers with
    >> specifications that lead into a contract. Big stores have departments
    >> that inspect the goods and see that the products they buy do meet the
    >> specifications they pay for. If Ilford was doing that kind of stuff
    >> then I am sure they would intermittently short their own dealers and
    >> sooner or later they would get caught.
    >

    > Still Iiford should use a different name when they have that much
    > difference in materials. Like many mattress companies selling basically
    > the same mattress with different names and patterns. Ilford's liable to
    > make such a confusion. I seriously doubt Sams Club would care if it's
    > called something else as long as the big Ilford name is there. And most
    > people working there and shoppers don't know much about paper, unlike
    > us, the educated consumers.

    Also, most customers wouldn't know the difference unless they has
    purchased the product before any change.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  29. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Jer wrote:
    > Ron Hvnter wrote:
    >
    >> SamSez wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> The FULL ENTIRE NINE WORD name is the same. The packaging is very
    >>> similar bvt
    >>> not identical, bvt as we all know, packaging is vpdated all the time.
    >>>
    >>> I contend that if yov are going to call it the same thing -- to that
    >>> level of
    >>> sameness -- it had better BE the same thing [try this trick with
    >>> prescription
    >>> drvgs, I dare yov...]
    >>>
    >>> Go to the Sams Clvb website -- look vp Ilford. Then open a second
    >>> window on
    >>> Ilford's website.
    >>>
    >>> As Ilford only lists one "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
    >>> Range Smooth
    >>> Pearl Paper" and Sams Clvb only lists one "Ilford Galerie
    >>> Professional Inkjet
    >>> Photo Range Smooth Pearl Paper", what am I svpposed to expect?
    >>>

    >> Sovnds like Ilford was scamming Sam's as well as the end vser.
    >>

    > Considering that Walwart (Sam's) is notoriovs for flexing their discovnt
    > mvscles with their svppliers, it seems that both covld be complicit in
    > this deception. Walwart demands lesser qvality (to force a lower price)
    > and Ilford complies becavse they're being covrted by a retail discovnter
    > with hvndreds of stores fvll of bargain hvnters and staffed by vnderpaid
    > wanks.

    I dovbt that Wal-mart was complicit in this case, and the average
    Wal-mart employee gets $9.96/hovr, plvs one of the best profit sharing
    plans in the bvsiness. Don't feel too sorry for them. The charges of
    vnderpayment are made by labor vnions becavse Wal-Mart won't pvt vp with
    their extortion.

    --
    Ron Hvnter rphvnter@charter.net
  30. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    SamSez wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>SamSez wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message

    > top-name
    >
    >>>designer may look

    > differences
    >
    >>>in the material and

    >>>I would claim that this is RARELY the case for other kinds of products -- at
    >>>least when they are from the SAME maker and LABELED with the SAME LABEL.
    >>>

    >>Very often a large chain of stores will order a product, such as a
    >>computer, built to their specifications, and it will have a model number
    >>specific to that chain. This prevents direct comparisons of pricing
    >>between store chains, and makes claims of matching prices on 'identical
    >>merchandise' a safe bet. A wise purchaser keeps aware of such ploys,
    >>and does his homework, examines products, and KNOWS what he is buying.
    >>To do less courts disappointment.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
    >

    > Sorry Ron, but when the name on the box is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL, what more can
    > you 'know' short of opening the package? If you bought a box of Kellogg's Corn
    > Flakes at a warehouse club, what would YOU expect to be inside -- seriously?
    > Something different than what you buy at Piggly-Wiggly? I doubt it.

    No, I wouldn't, and neither, I suspect did Sam's. It is not practical
    to open every package they receive to verify that the supplier isn't
    compromising quality or quantity. That's where customer feedback comes
    in. I rather suspect Sam's would take action against a supplier who
    didn't supply the product as agreed.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  31. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:02:55 -0600, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
    <rphunter@charter.net> in <ip31e.9187$9o4.9074@fe03.lga> wrote:

    >Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> In article <cuW0e.1557$FN4.1490@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    >> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The nice thing about Costco is that
    >>>they have a return policy unmatched by other.
    >>

    >> They do have a nice return policy. So does Sam's and WalMart.
    >>

    >>>Sams club is Walmart. I
    >>>do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
    >>>advantage of doing business with them.
    >>

    >> You'd be surprised at how Costco deals with HR issues.
    >>
    >Interesting. Wal-Mart has about the best profit sharing arrangement in
    >US industry. I wouldn't feel too sorry for their employees.

    Do you get it if you work part-time? Because they try very hard to
    ensure that their employees don't get enough hours to get health care,
    so I wonder if they make it easier to get profit sharing.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

  32. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Matt Silberstein wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:02:55 -0600, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
    > <rphunter@charter.net> in <ip31e.9187$9o4.9074@fe03.lga> wrote:
    >

    >>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>>They do have a nice return policy. So does Sam's and WalMart.

    >>>You'd be surprised at how Costco deals with HR issues.
    >>>

    >>Interesting. Wal-Mart has about the best profit sharing arrangement in
    >>US industry. I wouldn't feel too sorry for their employees.
    >

    > Do you get it if you work part-time? Because they try very hard to
    > ensure that their employees don't get enough hours to get health care,
    > so I wonder if they make it easier to get profit sharing.

    Probably not. But then if you take a job, you have to know that
    part-time and full-time don't get the same benefits. ALL companies try
    to manage their benefits packages to assure that their business makes a
    profit and is still around to pay their employees NEXT year.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  33. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:
    > In Ilfords email they said the packaging was differenrt. However,
    if
    > the name was the same or very similar I agree with you on that.
    Walmart
    > is not a very nice company to work for. I seem many reports on their

    > practices. Customers do save money buy there are other places to
    save
    > and shop. Just look at all of the law suits against them.

    Why does Microsoft get most of the attention from hackers? They're the
    biggest target is why. They're no better or worse than any other
    software maker. They just have more exposure. Same with Wal Mart.
    How many "news exposes" have you seen on Target or Kmart? Yet if you
    did, I feel pretty certain you'd find the same complaints. I know a
    lot of people who work for other retail chains and Wal Mart is far
    better than most as a place to work. Their legal woes get more press
    because they have way more employees and way deeper pockets for the
    legal leeches to dip into. Ask Food Lion or George Bush what it's like
    to be attacked by "news" people with an agenda. I suggest that CNN
    "documentaries" should be taken with a grain of salt. I've watched
    that particular one twice and if you pay attention, you'll hear that
    only a few of their disgruntled ex-employees and ex-vendors make the
    accusations. Everybody else seems somewhere between ecstatic and
    reasonably happy with Wal Mart and most of the accusations are flatly
    denied or said to be greatly exaggerated.

    > Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    > >In article <p_Y0e.15400$C47.12380@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > > measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality
    product
    > >>based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
    > >>Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from
    Walmart.

    > >Nope. The tricks aren't from Walmart. They're from the paper
    > >manufacturer.
    > >
    > >If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from
    Walmart, I
    > >expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
    > >sticker, etc.
    > >
    > >I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
    > >IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.
    > >
    > >Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as

    > >what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.
    > >
    > >When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation
    that
    > >the same stuff is inside.
    > >
    > >I don't expect to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup that
    > >got from Sam's Club and find dog food inside. If that happens, you
    > >can't blame Walmart.
    > >
    > >Get off your Walmart high horse. Hey, here's a thought: go
    investigate
    > >Costco's employment practices.
    > >
    > >Be prepared for what you'll find.

  34. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Don't know about the USA but in Australia and most other civilised countries
    there are laws to protect consumers from such deception. If I were you, I'd
    start at the better business bureau and go from there. If you have described
    the events faithfully here then Wal-Mart have engaged in deceptive and
    misleading advertising. If you were in Australia, you could get some help to
    expose this practice and get the companies involved into court.

    Like I said at the start, the US might allow this sort of behaviour. They
    allow plenty of questionable business activities that are illegal in
    civalised countries. I recall a similar incident in 1968 where a bread maker
    got a contract to supply sliced bread to the Australian Army at a regional
    barracks. To save changing the wrapping machine and resetting it, the
    American owned baker wrapped the Army's bread in a wrapper from the last run
    which was for a lighter loaf.

    The wrapper said one weight but the bread was actually heavier. This
    encouraged the delivery driver to substitute day old returns of (light
    weight) bread for the fresh army bread. The upshot was the American owned
    baker claimed they could package their product anyway they wanted. Not so
    said an Australian court. The baker tried to get the case moved to the US
    where they claimed the practice was not illegal. It didn't work but the
    moral of the story is that you might get away with substitution packing in
    the Good old US of A.

    God bless America,
    land of the free,
    home of the brave and you better not say otherwise or they'll bomb you off
    the face of the Earth!
  35. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Douglas wrote:
    > Don't know about the USA but in Australia and most other civilised countries
    > there are laws to protect consumers from such deception. If I were you, I'd
    > start at the better business bureau and go from there. If you have described
    > the events faithfully here then Wal-Mart have engaged in deceptive and
    > misleading advertising. If you were in Australia, you could get some help to
    > expose this practice and get the companies involved into court.
    >
    > Like I said at the start, the US might allow this sort of behaviour. They
    > allow plenty of questionable business activities that are illegal in
    > civalised countries. I recall a similar incident in 1968 where a bread maker
    > got a contract to supply sliced bread to the Australian Army at a regional
    > barracks. To save changing the wrapping machine and resetting it, the
    > American owned baker wrapped the Army's bread in a wrapper from the last run
    > which was for a lighter loaf.
    >
    > The wrapper said one weight but the bread was actually heavier. This
    > encouraged the delivery driver to substitute day old returns of (light
    > weight) bread for the fresh army bread. The upshot was the American owned
    > baker claimed they could package their product anyway they wanted. Not so
    > said an Australian court. The baker tried to get the case moved to the US
    > where they claimed the practice was not illegal. It didn't work but the
    > moral of the story is that you might get away with substitution packing in
    > the Good old US of A.
    >
    > God bless America,
    > land of the free,
    > home of the brave and you better not say otherwise or they'll bomb you off
    > the face of the Earth!

    Your misconceptions of laws in the US are downright amusing. Such
    practices ARE illegal here, and any company who did what you describe
    would be in big trouble. Mislabeling food products can result in some
    ugly legal problems.

    And you are WAY out of line with the last sentence.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  36. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Douglas wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> Douglas wrote:
    >
    > snipped
    >
    >>> God bless America,
    >>> land of the free,
    >>> home of the brave and you better not say otherwise or they'll bomb
    >>> you off the face of the Earth!
    >>>

    >> Your misconceptions of laws in the US are downright amusing. Such
    >> practices ARE illegal here, and any company who did what you describe
    >> would be in big trouble. Mislabeling food products can result in
    >> some ugly legal problems.
    >>
    >> And you are WAY out of line with the last sentence.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong here

    <snip>

    > stating the truth.

    The formerly respectable Douglas has degenerated into a hysterical
    soont. Some folks can't believe they exist without excessive amounts of
    adrenaline and bile coursing through their systems, and if no
    appropriate occasion arises, they will manufacture one out of whole
    cloth.

    Never mind embarrassing himself and all his country-mates, he's
    asssuring himself of constant discomfort and early incapacitation and
    demise. He should take my earlier advice: leave these groups and relax.

    --
    Frank ess
  37. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Douglas wrote:
    >
    >>"Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Douglas wrote:
    >>
    >>snipped

    >>>Your misconceptions of laws in the US are downright amusing. Such
    >>>practices ARE illegal here, and any company who did what you describe
    >>>would be in big trouble. Mislabeling food products can result in
    >>>some ugly legal problems.
    >>>
    >>>And you are WAY out of line with the last sentence.
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
    >>
    >>Correct me if I'm wrong here
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >> stating the truth.
    >

    > The formerly respectable Douglas has degenerated into a hysterical
    > soont. Some folks can't believe they exist without excessive amounts of
    > adrenaline and bile coursing through their systems, and if no
    > appropriate occasion arises, they will manufacture one out of whole
    > cloth.
    >
    > Never mind embarrassing himself and all his country-mates, he's
    > asssuring himself of constant discomfort and early incapacitation and
    > demise. He should take my earlier advice: leave these groups and relax.

    Well, I used to be almost as excitable, until I was diagnosed with HBP.
    Perhaps he would live longer (and happier) with medication. Actually,
    I suspect he is just a product of the distorted view of the US
    engendered by news media both here, and in other countries.
    Funny thing is, in this case, his OWN government is very much on the
    side of the US.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  38. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message

    > I doubt the purchasing people (and customers) in Sams' Club really know
    > any difference between different papper as long as it's from a brand name
    > manufacturer.

    Well at least one knows the difference!
  39. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    SamSez wrote:

    >>Very often a large chain of stores will order a product, such as a
    >>computer, built to their specifications, and it will have a model number
    >>specific to that chain. This prevents direct comparisons of pricing
    >>between store chains, and makes claims of matching prices on 'identical
    >>merchandise' a safe bet. A wise purchaser keeps aware of such ploys,
    >>and does his homework, examines products, and KNOWS what he is buying.
    >>To do less courts disappointment.

    > Sorry Ron, but when the name on the box is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL, what more can
    > you 'know' short of opening the package?

    Out of curiosity have you looked carefully at the box for a product number you can
    compare? Why a company with a known name like Ilford would allow an inferior product
    to be sold with exactly the same name puzzles me somewhat. My cynical side figures
    they know some people will get burned, but believe their bottom line will still
    benefit from the extra sales to the budget crowd. Come to think of it, the rest of me
    thinks that way nowadays, too.

    I once bought 3 disposable cameras that had both the Fujifilm and Walmart brands on
    the package intending to use them in an underwater camera housing that was supposed
    to take Fujifilm disposables. Apparently the Walmart version was a slightly different
    size, so the controls didn't quite work. I have no idea what else might have been
    different, and I don't think the price was much different than any other place I
    might have gone.

    To their credit, Walmart refunded the price for all 3, even though I had managed a
    couple of shots on one and opened all 3. Initially the manager of the camera
    department said he couldn't accept them since he wouldn't be able to sell them, but
    after a bit of bitching another manager told the returns desk help to step on them
    and say they were broken when the customer opened them if need be. Since the counter
    was under a sign that said something about 100% customer satisfaction I don't think
    they had much choice about issuing a refund.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
  40. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I hate to tell you this, but Sam's doesn't make, or pack, the paper.
    > They specify the paper specs, and the supplier supplies them packaged as
    > specified, and at the agreed upon price. I seriously doubt Sam's even
    > examines actual shipped material to verify quality (they SHOULD).
    > So, who do you blame here?

    Both of them. Sam's is to blame for selling a product with the same name whenthey've
    specifically negotiated for a product with different specs. Ilford is to blame for
    cooperating.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
  41. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    leo wrote:

    > I doubt the
    > purchasing people (and customers) in Sams' Club really know any
    > difference between different papper as long as it's from a brand name
    > manufacturer.

    You really think the purchasing agents for the world's largest retailer don't know
    exactly what they're ordering in million and multi-million dollar lots?

    I don't doubt for a second that most of their customers don't know the difference.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Steve wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> I hate to tell you this, but Sam's doesn't make, or pack, the paper.
    >> They specify the paper specs, and the supplier supplies them packaged
    >> as specified, and at the agreed upon price. I seriously doubt Sam's
    >> even examines actual shipped material to verify quality (they SHOULD).
    >> So, who do you blame here?
    >

    > Both of them. Sam's is to blame for selling a product with the same name
    > whenthey've specifically negotiated for a product with different specs.
    > Ilford is to blame for cooperating.

    Do you KNOW that they negotiated a different spec under the same
    packaging? If so, please present that information to the FTC.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  43. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Steve wrote:

    > leo wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt the
    >> purchasing people (and customers) in Sams' Club really know any
    >> difference between different papper as long as it's from a brand name
    >> manufacturer.
    >

    > You really think the purchasing agents for the world's largest retailer
    > don't know exactly what they're ordering in million and multi-million
    > dollar lots?
    >
    > I don't doubt for a second that most of their customers don't know the
    > difference.

    I am sure they know what they ordered. Now knowing what they GOT is
    another matter entirely. NO company has the personnel to inspect every
    shipment of a product for quality, and suppliers KNOW that.
    Example. I buy 'jumbo' eggs, because they are a better value, but in
    almost EVERY PACK, I find at least one egg that is noticeably smaller
    than all the others. So who is doing this? The store, other customers,
    the packager?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  44. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:56:38 -0600, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
    <rphunter@charter.net> in <rla1e.14026$9m4.7961@fe07.lga> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:02:55 -0600, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
    >> <rphunter@charter.net> in <ip31e.9187$9o4.9074@fe03.lga> wrote:

    >>>Interesting. Wal-Mart has about the best profit sharing arrangement in
    >>>US industry. I wouldn't feel too sorry for their employees.
    >>

    >> Do you get it if you work part-time? Because they try very hard to
    >> ensure that their employees don't get enough hours to get health care,
    >> so I wonder if they make it easier to get profit sharing.
    >>

    >Probably not. But then if you take a job, you have to know that
    >part-time and full-time don't get the same benefits. ALL companies try
    >to manage their benefits packages to assure that their business makes a
    >profit and is still around to pay their employees NEXT year.

    Actually that is a bit deceptive. Quite a few companies do (or did at
    least) try to ensure that their employees were around next year and
    healthy and doing pretty well. Walmart certainly sells us the idea
    that they treat their employees really well. But having policies that
    ensure that they don't get health care is not treating them well. The
    stockholders of a company are not the only stakeholders in that
    company

    --
    Matt Silberstein

  45. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Matt Silberstein wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:56:38 -0600, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
    > <rphunter@charter.net> in <rla1e.14026$9m4.7961@fe07.lga> wrote:
    >

    >>Matt Silberstein wrote:

    >>>Do you get it if you work part-time? Because they try very hard to
    >>>ensure that their employees don't get enough hours to get health care,
    >>>so I wonder if they make it easier to get profit sharing.
    >>>

    >>Probably not. But then if you take a job, you have to know that
    >>part-time and full-time don't get the same benefits. ALL companies try
    >>to manage their benefits packages to assure that their business makes a
    >>profit and is still around to pay their employees NEXT year.
    >

    > Actually that is a bit deceptive. Quite a few companies do (or did at
    > least) try to ensure that their employees were around next year and
    > healthy and doing pretty well. Walmart certainly sells us the idea
    > that they treat their employees really well. But having policies that
    > ensure that they don't get health care is not treating them well. The
    > stockholders of a company are not the only stakeholders in that
    > company

    I am sorry, but I can't see any reason to expect ANY company to provide
    healthcare for its employees. In point of fact, MOST small companies
    CAN'T if they hope to remain in business. It is pretty generous for any
    company to provide healthcare for ANY of their employees. I am glad
    they DO, but I can't see how this is any basic right.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  46. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > New Zealand has better lamb chops!

    Yeah... At least they had the good sense to ban the bloody minded yanks from
    bringing their Nuked ships of death into the country.
  47. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Douglas wrote:
    > "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>New Zealand has better lamb chops!
    >>

    > Yeah... At least they had the good sense to ban the bloody minded yanks from
    > bringing their Nuked ships of death into the country.

    Douglas,
    Please keep your anti-American trash in appropriate newsgroups.
    You are getting annoying.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  48. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message news:lja1e.14025> No, I
    wouldn't, and neither, I suspect did Sam's. It is not practical
    > to open every package they receive to verify that the supplier isn't
    > compromising quality or quantity. That's where customer feedback comes in. I
    > rather suspect Sam's would take action against a supplier who didn't supply
    > the product as agreed.
    > --
    > Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    There was a documentary on CNN (I believe) recently that explored how Wal-Mart
    conducts business with its suppliers. After watching that I can tell you that
    it is almost a certainty that Ilford solicited Wal-Mart to sell their product
    and offered a wholesale price for doing so after which Wal-Mart
    "counter-offered" with "We will be glad to sell your product. Here is the
    wholesale price that you _will_ sell it to us for."

    This non-negotiable price that Wal-Mart specifies in a very high percentage of
    cases forces the supplier to cut costs somewhere to make any profit at all and I
    suspect that this is what Ilford did. I agree that a change in the
    name/packaging would have been a better service to the final consumer.
  49. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Rick Brandt wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message news:lja1e.14025> No, I
    > wouldn't, and neither, I suspect did Sam's. It is not practical
    >
    >>to open every package they receive to verify that the supplier isn't
    >>compromising quality or quantity. That's where customer feedback comes in. I
    >>rather suspect Sam's would take action against a supplier who didn't supply
    >>the product as agreed.
    >>--
    >>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
    >

    > There was a documentary on CNN (I believe) recently that explored how Wal-Mart
    > conducts business with its suppliers. After watching that I can tell you that
    > it is almost a certainty that Ilford solicited Wal-Mart to sell their product
    > and offered a wholesale price for doing so after which Wal-Mart
    > "counter-offered" with "We will be glad to sell your product. Here is the
    > wholesale price that you _will_ sell it to us for."
    >
    > This non-negotiable price that Wal-Mart specifies in a very high percentage of
    > cases forces the supplier to cut costs somewhere to make any profit at all and I
    > suspect that this is what Ilford did. I agree that a change in the
    > name/packaging would have been a better service to the final consumer.

    I sense that you think this Wal-Mart policy is wrong, but if it is, then
    all large companies are doing the same wrong thing. Don't you think
    that Sears/KMart doesn't do the same thing? Haven't you read how GM,
    Chrysler, and Ford 'manage' their parts suppliers? It's called
    controlling costs to make a profit.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Printers Pearl Photo Inkjet Peripherals