Any recomendations for a 939 NON-sli mobo for Athlon 4000+

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Any reccomendations for a 939 NON-sli mobo for Athlon 3700+

Is this CPU decent to start up a new build for a gaming system...does it have any advantages over any of the other higher level AMD CPUS.

I have a Asus A8n-sli on order now just to have the option to add a another card in the future (pos. the BFG 7900gt oc) any opinions on this card???

on the fence of what to do
any info would be great

Thanks

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Hey thanks for the info but I'm not quite sure I understand the "getting ripped off part"...could you fill me in?... If it's ref. to the 7900 gt I did not order it yet I was looking at the 7800 gt and the 7800 gtx also

Thanks

P.S. It is an A8n-SLI Premium

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Thanks for the info...I tried to do as much research as I could and I liked all of the reviews. options and comparisons to the other boards...I also like the "passive cooling" feature of the Asus...It just seemed everywhere I looked it got great reviews

Are you using the board you mentioned?... if so are you happy with it...I might do some tweaking but I do not plan on doing any overclocking at this point ...Until I was sure what I was doing anyway

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
when an AN8 SLI Premium is $160 versus an Abit AN8 32X at $165 it does look dear especially when you can get a passively cooled SLI board for $93 (KN8 SLI).

As for a non-SLI board the Asus A8N is good as is the Abit KN8/AN8 the DFI, EPoX etc. etc. Tbh all the major brands make pretty good nF4 Ultras.

& the 3700+ San Diego is a very good chip.

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Hey thanks again,

that brings up something ive been wondering what is the diff. between a San Diego chip and a (Vienna)??? sorry not sure if I have the correct name...Ive been seeing the two and thought it wassomething to do with when it was made...Should I stay away from one of the two or are they both ok????

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
that brings up something ive been wondering what is the diff. between a San Diego chip and a (Vienna)??? sorry not sure if I have the correct name...
I'll take it that you mean Venice (although there is also a Venus core).
Both the Venice & San Diego are Rev. E single cores on a 90nm process but the Venice has 512K of L2 cache & the San Diego 1Mb of L2 cache.
So what difference does it make? - about 3% extra performance at equal clock speeds but it varies with the app.

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I think that I am going to go with a 4000+ CPU when or if the price drops...A BFG 7900 GT ...also I am going to go with a non-sli motherboard...Any more suggestions on some high end non-sli boards would be appreciated...I want to try keep this sytem strong fast and I dont need a lot of bells and whistles.

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
yeah don't worry too much about the SLI, WUSY is right, Invest into a EPOX or an ASUS, even a Gigabyte board ain't too bad right now. I love my A8N-E, but its had its fair share of problems. Hopefully one of the other manufacturers will give you fewer problems than i had......