SLI or non- SLI?..or best 939 AGP mobo for 3700+ for gaming

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I am trying to figure out what direction I should for a new gaming system..I had gotten a recomendation to start with a Athlon 3700+ and a A8n-premium board..

My other issue is my wife is not to happy with my new plan...so another plan I might have to go with is to use my current BFG 6800 gt oc AGP card & get the best 939 non-sli mobo I can find for it

Also I read that AMD is going to be cutting prices...does any have an idea when this might happen???

any info would be great

thanks

trinitron6_03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
prices will be cut after july 23rd(debut of conroe), and a 6800GT is a good card, i have one, its AGP as well, and it works perfectly, im playing every game, smooth as can be. the mobo i have is an A8V deluxe, and it works great as well. i also have 2 gigs of corsair XMS ram. and as for proc i have an A64 3200+, wanting to upgrade after the price drop as well.

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Thanks for the info...I think I am starting to lean towards using my 6800 GT also..I think I might send the the board and cpu back then buy the cpu again when the price goes down..do you know what exaclty the Wifi feature on the board is????...not sure if I need it...

If I am have to go with my 6800 GT I Just want to make sure I have the best pos mobo for it...I actually got thru F.E.A.R. with my 2.0 dell dim.
with this card with the settings pretty high....hopefully it will be even better with higher end components.

Any suggestion for a inexspensive, decent geforce card to replace my 6800 GT that I might be transfering...

Thanks

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
You might want to consider the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard for $75 shipped. It has a genuine AGPslot and a PCI-e x16 slot. You can use your current AGP 6800GT, and when your wife least suspects it, you can replace that with a PCI-e video card in the future.

I have that motherboard. It is a great board. No problems with the build so far. The best part is if you want to do some dual (quad) monitor setup, you can use the AGP and PCI-E x16 slots at the same time for 2 video cards.

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I think I am going to go with a non-sli mobo...wait for the price of the athlon 4000+ to drop and pick up the 7900 gt...I could use some suggestions for top end non-sli motherboards...

any info would be great

Thanks