Can't call my VOIP phone from my cell phone, except when R..

Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
cellular covered area.

The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with
no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US
cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to
know if anybody had any input or ideas.

Thanks,
--Dan
5 answers Last reply
More about call voip phone cell phone

    dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
    > complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
    > cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
    > EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
    > cellular covered area.

    Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
    freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in its
    routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal with
    that sort of thing.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

    "Miguel Cruz" <mnc@admin.u.nu> wrote in message
    > Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
    > freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in
    > its
    > routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal
    > with
    > that sort of thing.
    >
    > miguel

    Yes, it is a new number. I have emailed both US cellular and Vonage. Your
    description sounds like a good possibility.

    Thanks,
    --Dan

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:51:59 -0600, mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz)
    wrote:

    >dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
    >> complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
    >> cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
    >> EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
    >> cellular covered area.
    >
    >Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
    >freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in its
    >routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal with
    >that sort of thing.
    >
    >miguel

    I think Miguel is on the right track. I was going to ask you if you
    had ported the Vonage number, but it sounds like you didn't--just a
    new number.

    Forget about that compression stuff suggestion by someone else.
    that's not causing your problem.

    Also, since I don't know if the market (city) that you're in has 7
    digit *local* dialing, but if they do, try dialing it use all 10
    digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX). Again, that would also get back to a routing
    issue in the MSC translations. You didn't mention if the new VoIp
    number can be dialed from a local landline w/o any probs?

    Another thing...This paragraph is more of an FYI b/c I have another
    provider, but also did 'evaluate' Vonage. With VoicePulse, if you've
    enabled any of the "follow-me" features on the VoIP number that
    include your cellphone as a simultaneous ring, you may be unable to
    reach your VoIP # from the cell. Even if you did, that *should*
    still work, but it would go to your cellular VMail. The problem in
    this case is encountered when you're trying to hit your voip # from
    the cell, and you get your cell VM. I just wanted to mention that.

    Keep us posted as to the outcome.

    Jon

    "Jon Wang" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Keep us posted as to the outcome.
    >
    > Jon

    I too agree that the problem is most likely the freshly allocated exchange.
    The reason being, I can call the IP phone using a landline, I can also call
    it if I am ROAMING on my cell phone but never withing US cellular territory.
    So, yesterday I went down to US Cellular and told them about the problem but
    didn't mention wht I thought the problem was. I was fortunate to talk to
    their tech who is apparently pretty sharp because the first thing out of his
    mouth was "is this a new prefix?" I told him yes, but didn't dare mention
    it was an IP phone as I didn't want him pointing fingers at somebody else.
    So, according to the tech the problem should be solved by Tuesday. It is SO
    refreshing to talk to a technician who is actually good at what he does.

    Thanks for all of your help, otherwise this could have taken a LOT longer!

    THANKS!
    --Dan
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    dg wrote:
    > Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
    > complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
    > cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
    > EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
    > cellular covered area.
    >
    > The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with
    > no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US
    > cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to
    > know if anybody had any input or ideas.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Dan

    I had this problem before.....tell your provider to perform a "LERGE"....

vpn Cell Phones Phones Networking