Xyxou

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Hi I have a few questions about buying a new computer. The configuration I have come up with looks like this:

Q-Tec 14103 Miditower 350W Black/Silver ATX
Motherboard: MSI K9N NEO-F nForce 550.
CPU: AMD Athlon64 "Orleans" 3500+
MEMORY: Crosair VS1GB667D2 Value Select 1024MB DDR 2 PC 4200 667mhz
HD: Hitachi Deskstar 0A31637 T7K250 160Gb 7200rpm 8mb 8.5ms S ATA2
GRAPHIC CARD: Sapphire Radeon X1900GT 256Mb

This is a pretty cheap configuration, since the memory modules are "value", the Harddrive is pretty small, the processor is one of the cheapest AM2 socket processors, the sapphire brand also seem to be the cheapest brand etc... What I have been doing is trying to get as much performance for money as I can get. The thing is that I really only have "feeling" guiding me here, I don't know for sure if the motherboard will be a "bottleneck" or perhaps the processor?

I am on budget restrictions here, Of course, If I weren't I would take the FX-62 etc, and everything else that is expensive, and would get the best configuration there is ("feeling" would be enough here). But as it is now, I can't afford one of those. I have upgrading "later" in mind here too:
One thought I have here, is to aim "low", going for the orleans processor on the MSI board, and eventually when prices drop I can just switch up all the way to the FX-62, right?

Memory Question:

Maybe I should go for the 800mhz memories instead? "One" of these perhaps?: Corsair XMS2 6400 DDR2, 1024MB PC6400 64Meg x 8, CAS 5-5-5-15, 800MHz, 240pin

Another Question: What if I buy two of the suggested 800mhz memories and get up to 2048mb or ram, then I would be pretty safe for future games requiring much ram, but would I be able to use these two memory modules in a system based on new technology coming in the future? (make a guess). What I want is to be able to pick out the ram, if necessary, and use them in a new system if that will later be the case.

Motherboard question: This is the cheapest MSI motherboard, will it be able to support better am2 processors if they are available in the future?

Questions about graphic cards:

What is best to buy the above card (sapphire X1900 GT) or the "two" express cards Sapphire Radeon XT1600? What would produce the best preformance?

Now. I'm a noob when it comes to computer hardware technology. Since I haven't kept up with how all new technology really works. But in theory, if I go for the sapphire X1900GT card, I can later buy another one and gain more preformance by using two of them?

As my simple mind understand PCIexpress cards, one can either use "one" card or "two", to balance the preformance on both cards, but the thing is, what is the preformance to be gained from using one "top notch" card vs using two "average" cards?

One last things about Graphic cards, I also want a card that will be "Ok" for quite a long time. Will the mentioned card be that?

Processor Question: Perhaps I should go with the am2 X2 3800+ processor, but the diffrence in price is quite alot I think.

Fínal words:

The purpose with the computer is to be able to play the latest games with at least 1024*768 resolution and all the goodies turned on. Will I be able to do that with this configuration.

If you were to change something, what would it be? (forget the money for awhile, but be reasonable, don't say FX-62 or radeon X1900XTX etc).

Then, in the end, perhaps you rather recommend socket 939? But then I get all nervy, since the development is currently about the am2 socket now, right? Once again, I have upgrading "later" in mind here.

Oh yeah, one last question. I once in my life built my amd xp2000 by myself. Will it be "more" difficult to get the pieces together this time, you think? Otherwise I will leave that to a professional.

/John

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Im a nvidia fan and a 7900GT is a good buy at the moment, and you can SLI it later when the card falls in price and more games suport SLI. You can only run SLI on nvidia cards.... ATI crosfire is on the 975x mbs as far as I know...

No I doubt your current MB of choice will not suport AM2, but dont quote me on this!

The ram is confusing.... I have XMS2 800Mhz Pro DDR2 (2x 1Gb) 5.5.5.15 Its nice, but a cheaper option is XMS2 4.4.4.12 but lower speeds... totally your choice.... If you dont want to OC a lot I recomend you stick to your value select and save your money.... I also recomend you get (2x 1Gb sticks) windows vista is around the corner and will burn though your RAM.

Im unsure but I doubt 350 w will cut the cake for an SLI or X fire set up down the track..... Try 450 wat or more to be on the safe side.

If you have built a PC before you should beable to build it today... I recomend you try it out yourself and save some money....

Xyxou

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
THe MSI card Supports: Socket AM2, 64bit Athlon 64, Athlon X2 and Athlon FX processors.

Does this mean that I can use either an AM2 processor or the old s939 socket processors? This seems to me that the MSI card supports almost all current amd processors, right or wrong?

The thing about SLI (SLI is running two cards I asume) is that it feels like the days when Amd was advertising for 3Dnow technology, will we ever see a day when the games are supported by SLI, and this goes for X2 support aswell.
Or are things happening without me being aware of it?

What I meant about the ram issue is, that if i buy 2048mb ram (800mhz). Will this be a good investment for the future, if I later will have to change hardware due to new technology being available? So that I won't have to buy new ram once again :(

Perhaps windows vista is reason enough as you say.

Wow you recommend 450w! That sounds much, but then I have no clue to how much one really need these days.

Now how about the processor I was suggesting, is it good enough? or should I go for the Am2 x2 3800+? Even though this is soooo much more expensive?

Xyxou

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I am also thinking about the cheap semperon 3600+ cpu. Now this is a very cheap processor, but how will it manage to run the latest games?

The good thing if it will work is that it seems that the semperon runs on the same motherboard as the AM2 - the same socket. This would make it easy for me just to swap CPU in the future!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I am also thinking about the cheap semperon 3600+ cpu. Now this is a very cheap processor, but how will it manage to run the latest games?

The good thing if it will work is that it seems that the semperon runs on the same motherboard as the AM2 - the same socket. This would make it easy for me just to swap CPU in the future!
Forget about Semprons; with A64s so cheap the Semprons just don't make sense. For the price of that 3600+, you can get an A64 3500+, which will blow away the Sempron.

Xyxou

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006

Forget about Semprons; with A64s so cheap the Semprons just don't make sense. For the price of that 3600+, you can get an A64 3500+, which will blow away the Sempron.

Is the CPU: AMD Athlon64 "Orleans" 3500+ a good choise then?

Xyxou

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Uhm i'm not sure I was paying much attention the first time I read the first benchmark of the conroe cpu. I read it again, and I will definitely wait until the release of it!

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
games today do take advantage of sli and crossfire, but its not needed, ur paying for 2 cards not even getting around a 50% performance increase. anyways single slot mobo is fine, u can even buy one quad sli card wich is bascially 2 cards together(although pricey). anyways ur best bet is to go with a 7900gt, will giv u great performance and the money taken away from ur x1900xt, u should go for an 3800 x2 dual core processor. nothing on ur current config will be a bottleneck btw