good quilling word

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2005 1:13:06 PM

I was cleaning out my inbox and found this from Merriam-Webster's "word
of the day" mailing list:

inselberg \IN-sul-berg\ noun

: an isolated mountain

Example sentence:
Briana tied her hiking boots, adjusted her pack, and looked out across
the distance at an inselberg rising abruptly from the flat plain
surrounding it.

Did you know?
"Inselberg," which first appeared in English in 1913, comes from the
German words "Insel," meaning "island," and "Berg," meaning "mountain,"
apparently because German explorers thought isolated mountains rising
from the plains of southern Africa looked like islands in the midst of
the ocean. Geologically speaking, an inselberg is a hill of hard
volcanic rock, such as granite, that has resisted wind and weather and
remained strong and tall as the land around it eroded away. Ayers Rock
and Olga Rocks in central Australia are two spectacular examples of
inselbergs. The word "monadnock," derived from the name of Mount
Monadnock in New Hampshire, is a synonym of "inselberg."

More about : good quilling word

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:37:47 PM

I have known that "kindergarten" is a German word since I was 5 years
old. I learned this while in kindergarten. I am an American.
Greg
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:05:47 PM

Gregory

I'm a teacher in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Unfortunately, what you say is true. I venture to guess that 99% of
the students in LA haven't the slightest clue where the word
kindergarten came from. BTW, I was in kindergarten in 1953!! We're
not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Greg
Related resources
September 1, 2005 4:54:01 PM

On 1 Sep 2005 09:37:47 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>I have known that "kindergarten" is a German word since I was 5
>years old. I learned this while in kindergarten. I am an American.
>Greg

but now many years ago was that? things are different today.. there's
funding from highest levels.. dispersed throughout the 65,000 school
districts in America.. such horrible doctrines as "it's ok to have two
mommies.." and so forth. What is the message about families here?
Now.. popularized and promoted by the major media and global
corporations is Harry Potter.. the `occult packaged for children'..
which is sorcery and witchcraft for the kids!! Do you not believe it?
It's happening.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Harry+Potter+occul...

-g
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:19:10 PM

Hmmm, very interesting indeed. So what about the famous "kindergarten" which
every american considers to be an english (american) word but in fact is
purely german with exactly the same meaning.... ;-)))
--
Oskar Wagner
(retired Captain)

Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:1125583941.30097@forums.simradar.com...
>I was cleaning out my inbox and found this from Merriam-Webster's "word
> of the day" mailing list:
>
> inselberg \IN-sul-berg\ noun
>
> : an isolated mountain
>
> Example sentence:
> Briana tied her hiking boots, adjusted her pack, and looked out across
> the distance at an inselberg rising abruptly from the flat plain
> surrounding it.
>
> Did you know?
> "Inselberg," which first appeared in English in 1913, comes from the
> German words "Insel," meaning "island," and "Berg," meaning "mountain,"
> apparently because German explorers thought isolated mountains rising
> from the plains of southern Africa looked like islands in the midst of
> the ocean. Geologically speaking, an inselberg is a hill of hard
> volcanic rock, such as granite, that has resisted wind and weather and
> remained strong and tall as the land around it eroded away. Ayers Rock
> and Olga Rocks in central Australia are two spectacular examples of
> inselbergs. The word "monadnock," derived from the name of Mount
> Monadnock in New Hampshire, is a synonym of "inselberg."

September 1, 2005 8:19:11 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________
So what about the famous "kindergarten" which every american considers
to be an english (american) word but in fact is purely german with
exactly the same meaning.... ;) ))

There has never been an Academie anglaise to say which words are
English and which are not. On the contrary, when it comes to borrowing
words from other languages, English has almost no scruples whatsoever.
Periodically, there are movements to get rid of the French and Latin
element, but these have always been ineffective.

Whatever else you can say about those funny island peoples, the
British, their language is not insular. Speaking of insular, where did
that "German" word Insel come from? From Latin insula 'island' of
course! Cf. peninsula (from Latin paene + insula 'almost an island')
and isolated (which we also get from Latin -- by way of Italian isola
-- and literally means 'islanded').

Can you tell I'm procrastinating?

September 1, 2005 8:19:11 PM

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:19:10 +0200, "Oskar Wagner"
<rengaw@swissonline.ch> brought the following to our attention:

>Hmmm, very interesting indeed. So what about the famous "kindergarten" which
>every american considers to be an english (american) word but in fact is
>purely german with exactly the same meaning.... ;-)))

Well yes.. see etymology according to Webster:

Main Entry: kin·der·gar·ten
Pronunciation: 'kin-d&(r)-"gär-t&n, -d&n
Function: noun

Etymology: German, from Kinder children + Garten garden
- a school or class for children usually from four to six years old
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:32:40 PM

All this reminds me of the George Bush quote "The French have no word for
Entrepreneur".

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D f72je$amu$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> Hmmm, very interesting indeed. So what about the famous "kindergarten"
which
> every american considers to be an english (american) word but in fact is
> purely german with exactly the same meaning.... ;-)))
> --
> Oskar Wagner
> (retired Captain)
>
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
>
> "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> schrieb
im
> Newsbeitrag news:1125583941.30097@forums.simradar.com...
> >I was cleaning out my inbox and found this from Merriam-Webster's "word
> > of the day" mailing list:
> >
> > inselberg \IN-sul-berg\ noun
> >
> > : an isolated mountain
> >
> > Example sentence:
> > Briana tied her hiking boots, adjusted her pack, and looked out across
> > the distance at an inselberg rising abruptly from the flat plain
> > surrounding it.
> >
> > Did you know?
> > "Inselberg," which first appeared in English in 1913, comes from the
> > German words "Insel," meaning "island," and "Berg," meaning "mountain,"
> > apparently because German explorers thought isolated mountains rising
> > from the plains of southern Africa looked like islands in the midst of
> > the ocean. Geologically speaking, an inselberg is a hill of hard
> > volcanic rock, such as granite, that has resisted wind and weather and
> > remained strong and tall as the land around it eroded away. Ayers Rock
> > and Olga Rocks in central Australia are two spectacular examples of
> > inselbergs. The word "monadnock," derived from the name of Mount
> > Monadnock in New Hampshire, is a synonym of "inselberg."

September 2, 2005 1:48:22 AM

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:32:40 +0100, GeoffC wrote:

> All this reminds me of the George Bush quote "The French have no word for
> Entrepreneur".

LOL!!

Look up the word "idiot" in Webster's dictionary and I swear there's a
picture of George W. Bush there beside it with his thumb in his mouth.
Look up the word "stupid" and there's a picture of his dad...under that
will be the text: "also see *idiot*".

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Mmmmmm.....beer and doughnuts. - Homer Simpson)

Pontificating I might have believed, but procrastinating??

What are you trying to defer/deflect/determine later?

JW
"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1125587609.30092@forums.simradar.com...

> ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
> So what about the famous "kindergarten" which every american considers
> to be an english (american) word but in fact is purely german with
> exactly the same meaning.... ;) ))

> There has never been an Academie anglaise to say which words are
> English and which are not. On the contrary, when it comes to borrowing
> words from other languages, English has almost no scruples whatsoever.
> Periodically, there are movements to get rid of the French and Latin
> element, but these have always been ineffective.
>
> Whatever else you can say about those funny island peoples, the
> British, their language is not insular. Speaking of insular, where did
> that "German" word Insel come from? From Latin insula 'island' of
> course! Cf. peninsula (from Latin paene + insula 'almost an island')
> and isolated (which we also get from Latin -- by way of Italian isola
> -- and literally means 'islanded').
>
> Can you tell I'm procrastinating?

September 2, 2005 8:08:01 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________
Pontificating I might have believed, but procrastinating?
What are you trying to defer/deflect/determine later?

September 2, 2005 8:08:02 PM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:02:06 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>When I'm not teaching, I'm writing, and as much as I like what I'm
>writing about, there is not a day goes by that I don't think "Nothing
>bad will happen if I don't work on the book just this once." Then I
>fire up Word and go to work...

Are you able to deal with MS Word? it's always so out of control!!
that is.. trying to make headway.. it's doing it's own formatting and
I'm constantly trying to `undo' it. Not long after that.. the document
get hopelessly screwed up!!

Once on a project.. me and another guy were editing a series of
mission critical docs in Word. They got so screwed up that Word
world crash. A clerk had to re-type all the docs from printed copies.
Imagine the wasted time, the expense, the frustration, not to mention
how we looked like a bunch of dopes!!

-g
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 8:08:03 PM

Go to Tools / Options and turn off auto-everything. That will save you
a lot of heart-ache right there. Then, if you do a lot of writing,
learn how to use styles. That will save you a lot of work.

September 2, 2005 8:08:04 PM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:49:09 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Go to Tools / Options and turn off auto-everything. That will save you
>a lot of heart-ache right there. Then, if you do a lot of writing,
>learn how to use styles. That will save you a lot of work.

thanks DW.. that might break the log-jam

here's one that I made up.. used to have it in Sig file of emails :)

"Reveal codes display formatting in the background of word
documents. Since when does Microsoft reveal any code??"

-G
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:46:44 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:31:42 -0400, Gregory wrote:

> Once on a project.. me and another guy ...
>...not to mention how we looked like a bunch of dopes!!

Surely you know better than that... <sigh>

"...me and another guy..." :)

Bill
September 3, 2005 4:01:06 AM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:46:44 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:31:42 -0400, Gregory wrote:
>
>> Once on a project.. me and another guy ...
>>...not to mention how we looked like a bunch of dopes!!
>
>Surely you know better than that... <sigh>
>
>"...me and another guy..." :)
>
>Bill

yep.. he took the docs on a diskette and edited them.. and I was
working on them during the day. Soon we had an incompatible mix.
Thinking of it more.. the whole MS network there was a mess.

-G
September 3, 2005 9:18:26 AM

"Bill Leaming"
> Surely you know better than that... <sigh>

Are you taking on Professor Quilly's job now?

<G>

Dallas
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:32:17 PM

I think you're procrastinating again! :-))

message news:1125666085.10707@forums.simradar.com...

> ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
> Pontificating I might have believed, but procrastinating?
> What are you trying to defer/deflect/determine later?

September 3, 2005 1:26:51 PM

On 1 Sep 2005 10:05:47 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory
>
>I'm a teacher in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
>Unfortunately, what you say is true. I venture to guess that 99%
>of the students in LA haven't the slightest clue where the word
>kindergarten came from. BTW, I was in kindergarten in 1953!!
>We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
>
>Greg

yep.. it's a `No child read behind' thing .. Is we Learning yet?
got your cap on backwards son...

-g
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:32:22 PM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:01:06 -0400, Gregory wrote:

>>Surely you know better than that... <sigh>
>>
>>"...me and another guy..." :)
>>
>>Bill
>
> yep.. he took the docs on a diskette and edited them.. and I was
> working on them during the day. Soon we had an incompatible mix.
> Thinking of it more.. the whole MS network there was a mess.

Actually, I was making reference to the egregious error in grammar, but
it's just as well you missed that, because on reflection, it was rather
rude of me... ;)

These type of mistakes have the same effect on me as fingernails being
dragged across a blackboard... LOL!

Bill
September 3, 2005 6:50:07 PM

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 13:32:22 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:01:06 -0400, Gregory wrote:
>
>>>Surely you know better than that... <sigh>
>>>
>>>"...me and another guy..." :)
>>>
>>>Bill
>>
>> yep.. he took the docs on a diskette and edited them.. and I was
>> working on them during the day. Soon we had an incompatible mix.
>> Thinking of it more.. the whole MS network there was a mess.
>
>Actually, I was making reference to the egregious error in grammar, but
>it's just as well you missed that, because on reflection, it was rather
>rude of me... ;)

aah.. not really. It went like so:

Place right hand above and in front of face/head.. palm down..
thumb slightly elevated. Now move straight back above head !!

>These type of mistakes have the same effect on me as fingernails
>being dragged across a blackboard... LOL!
>
>Bill

gosh.. good thing it wasn't a math error.. <|:+)

-G

p.s. no really.. am going to take Word now and `get on with it.'
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 7:50:07 PM

Gregory,

What Billy was posting about was the fact that you should have posted
"another guy and I", not "me and another guy", and he wasn't being
curmudgeonly, just correct and polite. when he did so....

You're obviously much better endowed than I am with brain cells, but I'm
wondering whether, for example, you've ever written any
Procedure/Instruction Manuals, or read many of them, and had the time to
reflect on your readings, or always just been too flat-out busy?

If the other vein continues, would you punch me in the nose, or reproach
me, or comment, if I met you in the high street, and called you GeeRegORY??

Regards,
John Ward
"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:46:44 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:31:42 -0400, Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> Once on a project.. me and another guy ...
>>>...not to mention how we looked like a bunch of dopes!!
>>
>>Surely you know better than that... <sigh>
>>
>>"...me and another guy..." :)
>>
>>Bill
>
> yep.. he took the docs on a diskette and edited them.. and I was
> working on them during the day. Soon we had an incompatible mix.
> Thinking of it more.. the whole MS network there was a mess.
>

> -G

September 3, 2005 7:50:08 PM

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:50:07 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory,
>
> What Billy was posting about was the fact that you should have posted
>"another guy and I", not "me and another guy", and he wasn't being
>curmudgeonly, just correct and polite. when he did so....

oh.. its a grammar thing?? sorry mate.. zoomed right past.

> You're obviously much better endowed than I am with brain cells, but
>I'm wondering whether, for example, you've ever written any Procedure/
>Instruction Manuals, or read many of them, and had the time to reflect
>on your readings, or always just been too flat-out busy?

Yep.. have written a fair share of procedures. The docs mentioned were
ATP's (acceptance test procedures).. it's a form of sign-off doc that
is used to deliver a technical product.

> If the other vein continues, would you punch me in the nose, or reproach
>me, or comment, if I met you in the high street, and called you GeeRegORY??

No need for anything hostile like that. Have changed the `Format as
You Go' settings in Word.. and hope be get GOOD at it like Excel. :)

-G

yeah.. that's it.. become a writer!! :]

>Regards,
>John Ward
>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:46:44 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
>> brought the following to our attention:

>>>Surely you know better than that... <sigh>
>>>
>>>"...me and another guy..." :)
>>>
>>>Bill
>>
>> yep.. he took the docs on a diskette and edited them.. and I was
>> working on them during the day. Soon we had an incompatible mix.
>> Thinking of it more.. the whole MS network there was a mess.
>>

>> -G

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:28:01 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:50:07 -0400, Gregory wrote:

>>Actually, I was making reference to the egregious error in grammar, but
>>it's just as well you missed that, because on reflection, it was rather
>>rude of me... ;)
>
> aah.. not really. It went like so:

There's a very, very simple "principle" (note: not "rule") that will serve
well to prevent that form of error:

"Always put others ahead of yourself..." ;)

Bill
!