Intel Conroe Core 2 latest and greatest benchmarks......

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
HP is recomending people who wants AMD Opteron workstations or the laters 8400 with Xeon 5000 to wait for Woodcrest if they can. Is the first time I have seen it but Woodcrest are very impresive in rendering and DCC.

And they are specting to use 8x8GB FB-DIMM. 64 Gb RAM in a workstation.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
i had high hopes for this benchmark but when i finally got to see the specs of the computer running only a 7800 GTX and then to see the resolutions only run at 640x480 i was sorely disappointed, i mean who truly runs at those resolutions...

it was impressive that they tested the X6800, E6700 and E6600 along with the FX-62 and X2 5000+ but the resolutions they actually ran for the games just plain sucked

Yes they maybe the latest, but they are definitely not the greatest

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
i had high hopes for this benchmark but when i finally got to see the specs of the computer running only a 7800 GTX and then to see the resolutions only run at 640x480 i was sorely disappointed, i mean who truly runs at those resolutions...

it was impressive that they tested the X6800, E6700 and E6600 along with the FX-62 and X2 5000+ but the resolutions they actually ran for the games just plain sucked

Yes they maybe the latest, but they are definitely not the greatest

I don't think you understand the purpose of the low-res benchmarks. When benchmarking a CPU you run at the lowest resolution possible to try to reomve the graphics card from the equation. The second you start increasing the resolution, it beomes a graphics card test, instead of CPU test.

So don't worry, higher resolutions will work just fine, but for games you are often limited by the graphics cards far before the CPU.

Cheers!

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Intel Conroe Core 2 X6800, E6700 and E6600 all get benchmarked. On a side note, I heard that sharikou and MMM have already pre-ordered their Conroes.... :D :D :D

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/914/1/page_1_benchmarking_intel_conroe_core_2/index.html

humm.. you DO know that sharikou and MMM will definately calling this a "rigged site" or "intel-tweaked town" ?

i've been trying to convince MMM and sharikou about their AMD short-sightness syndrom .. but somehow.. they wouldn't even post mine ? :evil:

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
They will if you swear allegence to AMD forever, and curse and burn the Intel flag along with them. :lol:

nah.. i want my E6700... BAD..
i'll swore allegiance with MMM and sharikou AFTER i get my E6700 :twisted:

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Quite interesting. In fact it convinced me to put some money on INTC stock especially with their current rate. I doubt it would get any cheaper.

PS: I hate the way this article is organized. I spent quite a bit of time on reading their graphs and finding next page button

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Funny how the Pentium EE 955 beats the X2 competition in all gaming benchmarks and in F.E.A.R. even the P4 661 is faster than the X2 5000+

TriFire

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
So when do you think we will see Conroe Extreme editions surfacing on newegg.com??? This guy in tweaktown is saying around September 8O ?

When??

Pretty good results Conroe. Even the Conroe E6600 seems to do well against the FX-62.

I wish they added a DivX benchmark similar to what Tomshardware does. That would be useful to me because I like to compress all my DVDs to DivX and play them off of my HTPC onto my TV screen. That way all of my movies are centralized in one location, and I can store away my DVDs and keep them in prestine condition.

An H.264 test would have been nice as well.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Pretty good results Conroe. Even the Conroe E6600 seems to do well against the FX-62.

I wish they added a DivX benchmark similar to what Tomshardware does. That would be useful to me because I like to compress all my DVDs to DivX and play them off of my HTPC onto my TV screen. That way all of my movies are centralized in one location, and I can store away my DVDs and keep them in prestine condition.

An H.264 test would have been nice as well.

This is something I would like to see as well. HTPC's and what they do are the next logical progression of home computing. Video encoding/decoding is becoming ever more important. This should be reflected in reviews/benchmarks as time goes on.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Funny how the Pentium EE 955 beats the X2 competition in all gaming benchmarks and in F.E.A.R. even the P4 661 is faster than the X2 5000+

It is funny, especially since tom's shows the 955EE (a $1000+ processor) getting beaten by the X2 4800 (a ~$650 processor) by 20-30 frames in games as well as beating that 661 by about the same. Yeah, I buy these benchmarks.... :roll:

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Well, MMM and shakira have posted their rebuttals on their respective blogs for these benchmarks. All I can say is these guys pretty much have a complete disconnect from the reality that the rest of us live in.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Intel Conroe Core 2 X6800, E6700 and E6600 all get benchmarked. On a side note, I heard that sharikou and MMM have already pre-ordered their Conroes.... :D :D :D

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/914/1/page_1_benchmarking_intel_conroe_core_2/index.html

I was hoping someone else saw that. It was interesting but again not some incredible blowout of 5000+. I personally would rather have Primordia run faster because it's actually a usable tool, whereas SuperPi is a joke in terms of how much productivity it provides.

It's the same thing with CineBench. I don't think I'll ever care about Cinema4D. The games were run at stupid resolutions (my 2 19" 1280 LCDs will never see 640x480). I am just as interested in Conroe perf in heavy use situations as AM2 so that review only tells me that Core 2 will win by a little over the 5000+ at 640 but will destory it in Super PI.

Crap.

I hate most benchmarks becaus ethey're clean machine tests and not regualr use. I want to know that if I run XP for 2 months without a reboot and more than 1GB of RAM used I can still play Q4.I would like to know how VS2005 likes Core 2 for compiling or how much Virtual Sevrer likes them with several VMs running.

I have no immediate plans to upgrade (just added 2GB to make 4GBs RAM) so I'm interested just for research purposes.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
So when do you think we will see Conroe Extreme editions surfacing on newegg.com??? This guy in tweaktown is saying around September 8O ?

When??

By conroe extreme, is that the 3.2 GHz 1366 FSB version? Or is that version the one coming before Christmas.

annihilatorpro

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
The games were run at stupid resolutions (my 2 19" 1280 LCDs will never see 640x480).

Come on, BaronMatrix! It's been said over and over again that the games were run at a low resolution so that the graphics card does not create a bottleneck; the test therefore stresses the CPU as opposed to the graphics card. Notice how once the resolutions are cranked up high, the frames per second for all the CPUs tested do not deviate much from each other? YES, that's the effect of the GPU bottlenecking the CPU! Yay, let's not use this argument ever again for putting down a CPU benchmarker, yeah??

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
annihilatorpro said:
The games were run at stupid resolutions (my 2 19" 1280 LCDs will never see 640x480).

Come on, BaronMatrix! It's been said over and over again that the games were run at a low resolution so that the graphics card does not create a bottleneck; the test therefore stresses the CPU as opposed to the graphics card. Notice how once the resolutions are cranked up high, the frames per second for all the CPUs tested do not deviate much from each other? YES, that's the effect of the GPU bottlenecking the CPU! Yay, let's not use this argument ever again for putting down a CPU benchmarker, yeah??

SO what you're saying is that if the numbers aren't as great at 1280 it's the GPUs fault. GPUs don't become a bottleneck until 1920 or 2560 and things like SLI begin to stretch their wings at those resolutions.

Again Primordia I believe is CFD and Structural dynamics soit's worth something to people. Engineers dont spend their days timing PI calculations. At least I hope not.

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
BaronMatrix said:

SO what you're saying is that if the numbers aren't as great at 1280 it's the GPUs fault. GPUs don't become a bottleneck until 1920 or 2560 and things like SLI begin to stretch their wings at those resolutions.

Again Primordia I believe is CFD and Structural dynamics soit's worth something to people. Engineers dont spend their days timing PI calculations. At least I hope not.

Don't tell me you didn't know that lowering the resolution will bring out the cpu true potential. Higher resolution means the gpu is working. It is limited by how fast the graphics card can handle the info. Dahh!
Do more research or I will ask Action Man to tell you to get a new keyboard.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
ns.

Primordia is no more worthless than the Pi benchmark for actual application use. Both result in static data that could easily be in a lookup table.

The cipher bench is, however, a relatively useful benchmark. Talk about that one, not Primordia.

sleepy127

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I am still waiting for unbiased benchmarks. I beleive that the conroe will rule the roost but please give me benchmarks that can not be questioned. How can you compare a system with 1- 1 GB stick of ram with a system with 2-1 GB sticks? What about using the same brand, same speed and latency? What about the hard drives? SATA against ATA 133? Surely that had to make a differance. Next year, around this time when DX10 and vista have been out for a little while and most of the offerings from AMD and Intel have been out and tested, then I will buy a new system. Until then I will plug away on my X2 4400 desktop and my superhot P4 lappy. In the meanwhile, give me some benchmarks that are honest so as a consumer I can make an informed choice and also give my clients good advice on which system to buy that is designed with thier needs in mind.

sleepy127

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Wow, some people don't know anything about benchmarking cpus.

Not wanting to start a flame fest but please explain to me how the hard drives and the memory not being the same doesn't make a measurable differance? I thought that when 2 sticks of matching ram were run in a system it alowed a little bit faster access (dual channel)? What about accessing the hard drives for games? I am not sure but you would think these things would be worth a couple of seconds of time and a few points on bench marks.